Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*
Tags:picture-books

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

Cute little book about a Siamese cat who thinks he is a chihuahua. There is plenty of rhymes and personification throughout the book. Also the use onomatopoeia can be seen when the cat is making a ruckus. The students will have a great laugh with the little cats antics. ( )
  Mb_Flor | Feb 23, 2017 |
Review:
After getting in trouble by his mother for sleeping with the birds, young Skippyjon Jones is sent to his room. However, instead of thinking about what it means to be a siamese cat, Skippyjon wanders in to his closet where he pretends to be the mighty Chihuahua Skippito who faces the evil bean thief Alfredo Buzzito.
Critique:
This book is a great example of a fantasy because it features talking animals who wear clothes and live in a house much like people do. Additionally, much of the book features Skippyjon Jones adventuring in a made up world.
Use:
1. This would be a good book to read aloud before or during a lesson on rhyming. While reading, the teacher could take several pauses and have students identify the words that rhyme.
2. If the class had some Spanish bilingual students in my classroom, this would be a good book to read because it has several Spanish phrases in it. While reading, i could have those bilingual kids explain what those phrases mean. That, combined with the fun, lively nature of the text could help those students to feel included and positive about their bilingualism.
Age Appropriateness: primary, intermediate
Media: oil paint with a sponge brush ( )
  rstewart15 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Skippyjon Jones is a naughty Siamese kitten, who pretends he is a Laitnino Chihuahua hero, while he is supposed to be in timeout in his bedroom. He has a great imagination, and has a colorful daydream about capturing the bean banbito. The author uses some Spanish words in the text, and it has a song the children can clap to!

I absolutely love Skippyjon Jones! He has a great imagination and kids love it! I like to get really into the character's personalities when reading this to children. I would recommend this book; a very fun read.

A great lesson to go with this book would be about the Latin cultures. You could introduce a little Spanish vocabulary too. For my summer program class of going on 2nd graders, I had the kids think about what they day dream of. Some of them were princesses, some were baseball players, one girl was even a frog...they had a lot of fun coming up with ideas. With some assistance, they created what they dream of being with cardstock and popsicle sticks, and made photo booth props. When everyone finished their prop (it took a couple days), we had a fun photo shoot! ( )
  ambybeth | Feb 12, 2017 |
Summary: Skippyjon Jones is a cat with a powerful imagination, this imagination, however, soon gets him into trouble with his mama as soon he causes destruction and chaos when he creates his own world around him. The main art od the story happens when his mother gets fed up with his antics enough to throw him into his room, where he once again makes a word where he is a crime fighter and the cycle starts again.
Critique: this book makes a good fantasy because of the ridiculous antics that Skippyjon Jones gets into that children can relate to as well if they like to use their imagination. This book effectively displays Skippyjon Jones as a child, and a high energy one that children can relate too. ( )
  C-Roy | Feb 12, 2017 |
Age Appropriateness (Primary, Intermediate, Middle School): Primary and Intermediate
Review: The book is about a young siamese cat wanting to be himself and playing pretend. The book describes the adventures Skippy goes on while also adding Spanish and rhyming words. The book fits the theme of fantasy because it includes talking animals who have their own imaginations.
Comments on Use: I would us this book for elementary aged students to teach them about identity and to help them remember to be who they are.
Media: Oil pastel ( )
  khadijab | Feb 10, 2017 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,655,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible