Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*
Tags:picture-books

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

Hilarious! Don't be shy when you read this
  Yvonne_Chesak | Jul 30, 2015 |
Skippy Jon Jones is a cat who started his day off by coloring on freshly painted walls. His mama puts him in time out and demands that he is not a cat. He is Skippy Jon Jones, a chihuahua to his bones. He left his house and went to the dog house full of chihuahua's where he ended up saving them from a pinata. His family accepts him and his wild imagination. This is a modern fantasy.
  dluby17 | Apr 21, 2015 |
Summary:
A small Siamese cat pretends to be any other animal but that. His mother tries to explain to him, but his imagination tends to always get away from him. He pretends to be a savior of a group of Chihuahua's from a big, scary bumblebee, which turns out to be a piñata. His mother and sisters love him very much and realize his wild imagination is just who Skippy is.

Personal Reaction:
I liked the fact that he had such a fun and elaborate imagination. It would help students relate. I did not care for what seemed to be racial slurs for the Hispanic culture.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have each student dress up like someone they look up to
2) Have each student draw a self portrait and tell the class what they like about themselves and what they would not change. ( )
  SarahMoore | Mar 25, 2015 |
Summary-
The book is about a cat you enjoys going on adventures. He gets in trouble with his mother because he was playing with the birds which cats are not supposed to do. He gets sent into his room to think about what he was doing. He then starts jumping on the bed and when he sees himself as Chihuahua because of his large ears. He starts imagining himself with other Chihuahuas and Skippyjon needs to save them and get their beans back from the evil bee.

Personal reaction-
I enjoyed the book. It was a tough book to read because of the Spanish names but overall it was a creative and the author used great words to describe his adventure.

Classroom Extension
1. The students could learn basic Spanish words.
2. The students could learn about the heritage of Chihuahuas.
  Kim_Riedmann12 | Mar 25, 2015 |
I liked this book because it was creative and funny. I thought it was hilarious how the author made it from a kitten's perspective that felt like he looked like a Chihuahua and imagined what it would be like to be a Mexican sword-fighting dog. The book was creative because the cat was pretending to be another animal just for fun and I had never read a children's book from that perspective. The one aspect of the book I did not like was how the author depicted Mexicans. I know the characters were just dogs but the book kept saying how all the dogs cared about were eating beans. It also did not validate Spanish as a language because the words just added "ito" on the end of them like "Skippito". The main idea of this story was that creativity and being different is a good thing. ( )
  jcuttitta | Mar 23, 2015 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible