Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*
Tags:picture-books

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

If you are someone who likes reading fantasy books, I think that you will like this book. Skippyjon Jones thinks that he is a chihuahua and likes to pretend that his name is skippy toes and he plays in his closet a lot.This book is fun for all ages. I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  NikhilU14 | May 24, 2016 |
Skippyjon Jones is Siamese cat who wants to be a Chihuahua. He often pretends he is a Spanish bandit named El Skippito. After being sent to his room for being naughty, Skippyjon enters his closet which is a pretend world of Spanish, other Chihuahua bandits and a bumblebee that steals beans. Skippyjon is asked to be the hero and save them from the bumblebee. It turns out his make believe world is just him getting into mischief once again and having to go to bed early.
Although the book offers delightful pictures, Spanish words, and some predictable text, the book has underlying stereotypical assumptions about Mexican culture. Parts of the book seem to mock the culture and
poke fun at the things the other Chihuahuas do (fiestas, siestas, etc.). Skippyjon is also a very naughty kitty cat and seems to enjoy the bad behavior which is encouraged by his lack of being taught to do better. Because the plot unfolds by Skippyjon getting into his birthday items as he was asked not to, I don't believe this is a good choice for a book in a classroom. I also believe that it could offend Spanish ELLs because of the stereotypes used and the accent that Skippyjon 'uses' to speak broken Spanish.
Media: colored pencils, pastels, and chalk
Genre: Picture book, predictable text ("my name is Skippito Friskito" is the beginning line of several songs in the story), animal fantasy. ( )
  JessicaRojas | Mar 30, 2016 |
This book was about a little Siamese Cat who does things that other animals do. He is grounded to his room and pretends to be a chihuahua, he enters his closet to become a swordsman Mexico and he has to save the Chihuahua band from the Bee who steals their beans. This book incorporates a little bit of Spanish into its text which is fun for all ages. The illustrations also make it interesting, we know he is a Siamese cat but it's fun to see how much of a chihuahua he looks like.
Genre: Fiction
1: I would use this book to incorporate a little bit of Spanish into the classroom
2: This is a fun book to read when talking about imagination
Media: Pen ( )
  Jazmyn96 | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is just a really cute story to read to students! There are also other Skippyjon Jones books to read too.
  mackenzie1992 | Feb 28, 2016 |
Good book, Not a lot of content that can be incorporated into other subjects, but a fun read for young children. This book also has nice illustrations which were done by the author. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Feb 15, 2016 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,497,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible