Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*
Tags:picture-books

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

Summary:
Skippyjon Jones sees himself in a mirror and pretends he is a chihuahua. He imagines his closet is a place in old Mexico, where he meets many other chihuahuas who have been waiting for him. He creates many characters for himself, even if he is only a cat.
Review:
The pictures are done by Oil pastel.
Comments on use:
Children would like to read this book because it is a wonderful fantasy which would enrich their imagination.
Children will enjoy the humorous story.
Age appropriateness:
primary
  ShanGao | Apr 10, 2017 |
In this Skippyjon Jones book, Skippyjon Jones sees himself in a mirror and pretends he is a chihuahua. He imagines his closet is a place in old Mexico, where he meets many other chihuahuas who have been waiting for him. The adventure concludes with Skippyjon Jones defeating El Blimpo Bumblebeeto Bandito. Skippyjon Jones values his imagination and creativity and creates many characters for himself, even if he is only a cat. This book does a good job at incorporating imagination and the Spanish language to better engage children. Genre - Picture Book.
  nicoleconduff | Mar 19, 2017 |
Cute little book about a Siamese cat who thinks he is a chihuahua. There is plenty of rhymes and personification throughout the book. Also the use onomatopoeia can be seen when the cat is making a ruckus. The students will have a great laugh with the little cats antics. ( )
  Mb_Flor | Feb 23, 2017 |
Review:
After getting in trouble by his mother for sleeping with the birds, young Skippyjon Jones is sent to his room. However, instead of thinking about what it means to be a siamese cat, Skippyjon wanders in to his closet where he pretends to be the mighty Chihuahua Skippito who faces the evil bean thief Alfredo Buzzito.
Critique:
This book is a great example of a fantasy because it features talking animals who wear clothes and live in a house much like people do. Additionally, much of the book features Skippyjon Jones adventuring in a made up world.
Use:
1. This would be a good book to read aloud before or during a lesson on rhyming. While reading, the teacher could take several pauses and have students identify the words that rhyme.
2. If the class had some Spanish bilingual students in my classroom, this would be a good book to read because it has several Spanish phrases in it. While reading, i could have those bilingual kids explain what those phrases mean. That, combined with the fun, lively nature of the text could help those students to feel included and positive about their bilingualism.
Age Appropriateness: primary, intermediate
Media: oil paint with a sponge brush ( )
  rstewart15 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Skippyjon Jones is a naughty Siamese kitten, who pretends he is a Laitnino Chihuahua hero, while he is supposed to be in timeout in his bedroom. He has a great imagination, and has a colorful daydream about capturing the bean banbito. The author uses some Spanish words in the text, and it has a song the children can clap to!

I absolutely love Skippyjon Jones! He has a great imagination and kids love it! I like to get really into the character's personalities when reading this to children. I would recommend this book; a very fun read.

A great lesson to go with this book would be about the Latin cultures. You could introduce a little Spanish vocabulary too. For my summer program class of going on 2nd graders, I had the kids think about what they day dream of. Some of them were princesses, some were baseball players, one girl was even a frog...they had a lot of fun coming up with ideas. With some assistance, they created what they dream of being with cardstock and popsicle sticks, and made photo booth props. When everyone finished their prop (it took a couple days), we had a fun photo shoot! ( )
  ambybeth | Feb 12, 2017 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,778,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible