Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

I had to practice reading this book aloud before I read it to the class. The conversation and organization of pages are very erratic and there is action not only in the illustrations, but the print as well. You also need to have some basic knowledge of Spanish to pronounce some of the words. I have had several teachers check out this book for activities in the classroom for art, writing prompts, and teaching students how to properly write quotes. ( )
  Maggie.Goff | Feb 26, 2015 |
Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner is the first in a twenty book picture book series about a Siamese kitten who looks like a Chihuahua and thinks he's one too. His mother cat, though, isn't convinced.

Skippyjon Jones lives in a perpetual fantasy world where he is convinced he's a small yapping dog who speaks Spanish. Except he's a small, delusional kitten, who according to Jane H. Hill, speaks Mock Spanish.

As a series, the Skippyjon Jones books have even inspired a masters thesis on its repeated use of Mock Spanish (Analyzing the use and function of Mock Spanish in the picture book collection Skippyjon Jones by Alicia Juncos Zori).

So far I've read exactly two of the books, the first and the last (Cirque de Olé). I found the Mock Spanish more prevalent in the latest book as the focus was on Skippyjon Jones joining a flea circus. And of course, the fleas spoke the pseudo Spanish of Speedy Gonzalez of the 1950s Warner Bros. cartoons (the most recent iteration actually speaks both fluent Spanish and English).

I think Skippyjon Jones in the first book was supposed to be more about a child's (or in this case, kitten's) over active imagination and the silliness of a cat trying to be a dog. What it seems to have become over the course of the series is a tale of a misappropriation of culture.

For this first book, though, I'm still giving it a high rating because by itself it's about play and imagination, and not the "humorous" sounds of Mock Spanish. ( )
  pussreboots | Jan 23, 2015 |
Summary: This story is about a Siamese Cat named Skippyjon Jones who lives with his mother and three sisters. At the beginning of the story his mother scolds him for spending so much time with the birds because he is a cat. She sends him to his room and tells him not to go in his closet. He starts jumping on his bed and when he sees himself in the mirror he thinks he looks like a chihuahua so he decides to dress up like a bandit. He finds himself in Mexico face to face with many chihuahuas and he tells them that he is El Skippito the sword fighter. The chihuahuas ask him to help them get rid of El Blimpo Bumblebeeto Bandito because he is stealing their beans. Soon after Alfredo Buzzito flies over and snatches up Skippyjon Jones who pokes him with his sword. He pops and all sorts of beans come spilling out of him. The chihuahuas are thrilled because they finally got their beans back. Then with a crash and a bang Skippyjon Jones is back in his bedroom.

Review: I had heard a lot about this series of books but this was the first time I had ever read one and now I see why they are so popular with children. The author has excellent word choice and the book is very fun to read and I am sure it would be great to use as a read aloud book. The rhyming makes the book flow nicely and it has a rhythm to it when you read. The story itself is light and entertaining making it a great read for young children. I like how a lot of the rhyming words were in a different font than the rest of the text because they were easier to pick up on that way. The illustrations are very bright and colorful and really bring the story to life. Some children may struggle with all of the made-up words in this story but others may benefit from strong sense of rhythm that is present throughout the story. I like how the author included several Spanish words just for fun, it brings another element of entertainment to the story. ( )
  kkerns3 | Nov 24, 2014 |
This book was super funny but a hard read aloud because of all of the terms in Spanish. It is great to use however with a literacy relationship for a class as a whole and having students try to comprehend different types of text is always good.
  ecm014 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Skippyjon Jones is a delightful tale, about a mischievous Siamese cat who doesn’t act like a cat. His mother then punishes him for this and he steps into a whole world of mischief, one in which he is a sword fighter name El Skippito and makes friends with Los Chimichangos.
I love this book! This book is a fun, silly tale for all children. This is the first book of the series. This book is such a fun book and is a great read a loud. It even won a read a loud award! I love this book for so many reasons!
First thing is that it is bilingual. Throughout the book the author incorporates Spanish words. This is when one of the Los Chimichangos is describing to Skippy or El Skippito, how the Bandito is stealing the beans. Los Chimichangos than says “Por yo quiero frijoles!” The author doesn’t just incorporate Spanish but she translates it for non-Spanish speakers, as if to help children learn Spanish. An example is after that line Skippy says “Huh!” Another Los Chimichangos, named Poquito Tito says “The dude just wants his beans back.” Showing that this is what Por yo quiero frijoles means.
This book also uses many literary elements, another main reason why I love it so much. First off it uses a lot of rhyming throughout the whole book with multiple characters an example is when Skippy’s mother, Mama Junebug Jones is punishing him she says “…About just what is means to be a cat, not a bird, not a mouse or a grouse, not a moose or a goose, not a rat or a bat, you need to think what it means to be a Siamese cat!” This in my opinion makes the book even more lighthearted and fun. Another literary element the book uses is alliteration a wonderful example of this is that all of Skippy’s sisters and mother’s have J names for instance “Mama Junebug Jones”. This makes the book even more adorable and makes the words fun to say. That leads into another amazing thing about this story that all ages can love! It has so many silly words in this. Making it incredibly fun and interesting for example, Skippy at one point shouts “Holy guacamoley!” Something that I feel that made the story line that much better and helped to make it even more hilarious.
Another wonderful literary element I found was onomatopoeia. A delightful example of this is when Skippy is jumping around on his bed and to explain the author writes, “Bang, Bang, Bang!” Another fun way that adds to the hilarity of the story. A final literary element I found was descriptive language. It really helped to add to the story and have a reader envision Skippy’s adventure. An example is when Skippy’s is about to fight Bandito and the author says, “His legs shimmed and shook like Jell-O.” The reader can really imagine and get an image of Skippy’s legs shaking like Jell-O.
A final thing I found that made this book even more fantastic was the beautifully, sketched drawings. These drawings were so colorful, that they added to the story and made Skippy’s adventure really come to life. An example of this is when Skippy’s falls out of his adventure also known as his closet and breaks his birthday piñata. The author really shows all the candy flying by added a huge display of round bright colored candy all over the page. Helping the reader to really capture the whole story. In short this book is a wickedly hilarious and fun book for all ages that tells use a story about just being yourself and that just because you are one thing doesn’t mean you have to follow all those stereotypes. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 29, 2014 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,791,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible