Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

I love the rhythm of this book and the silliness of this cat who thinks he is a dog! The crazy names for all of his siblings and mother make it even more fun to read!! The mixing of English and Spanish words throughout the book provide a sense of culture to the story without making it the focus of the story. I love reading this to children using a lot of expression.
If I was reading this to students in an elementary school, I would have children write down words they don't know as I am reading. I would have them investigate what each word means so they could use them in a story they write during Writing Workshop. ( )
  PeggyLisenbee | Aug 12, 2014 |
Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat who believes he is a Chihuahua. The reader will embark on in incredibly creative journey with this brave cat.
  kfh2 | Jun 5, 2014 |
I genuinely enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I like the language the author used, she wrote the language in the same way the characters were speaking it, “My head ees too beeg for my body.” I like this because it allows children to expand their thoughts on spoken language. I also like how the different text styles and sizes were used. I liked this aspect of the book because it keeps the reader engaged by allowing them to really see the excitement or change in voice that the characters have. Something else I liked was how numerous Spanish words were also put into the text to add a bit of variety and teach children a few words from another language. The author also relayed the Spanish words back to English for full comprehension, “Frijoles,” “Not your beans,” “Serious bees-ness.” While there was no outstanding prominent big idea, I feel that through the author’s fun illustrations and language choice that the book holds an entertaining aspect and also shows much about imagination as well. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 6, 2014 |
Oh, heavens, what an adorable book! I loved it! So clever, so fun, so hilarious. Skippyjon Jones is so a quirky, cute, crazy little cat. Kids will love this book and adults won't mind reading it to them. The book leads itself nicely to crazy voices, fun little sayings and the chance to talk about imagination and who we are. I highly recommend.

Note: There is some controversy surrounding this because Jones is a Siamese cat who pretends he is a Chihuahua - and he uses some mangled Spanish in his adventures. There are people who feel this is racist and disrespectful to Mexican culture. I can see how some might feel this way, and I would caution the reader to be aware of this. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 14, 2014 |
I used this book to help my students review literary terms such as alliteration, repetition, epithet, etc. They loved it! ( )
  Eyre32 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible