Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

This book was super funny but a hard read aloud because of all of the terms in Spanish. It is great to use however with a literacy relationship for a class as a whole and having students try to comprehend different types of text is always good.
  ecm014 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Skippyjon Jones is a delightful tale, about a mischievous Siamese cat who doesn’t act like a cat. His mother then punishes him for this and he steps into a whole world of mischief, one in which he is a sword fighter name El Skippito and makes friends with Los Chimichangos.
I love this book! This book is a fun, silly tale for all children. This is the first book of the series. This book is such a fun book and is a great read a loud. It even won a read a loud award! I love this book for so many reasons!
First thing is that it is bilingual. Throughout the book the author incorporates Spanish words. This is when one of the Los Chimichangos is describing to Skippy or El Skippito, how the Bandito is stealing the beans. Los Chimichangos than says “Por yo quiero frijoles!” The author doesn’t just incorporate Spanish but she translates it for non-Spanish speakers, as if to help children learn Spanish. An example is after that line Skippy says “Huh!” Another Los Chimichangos, named Poquito Tito says “The dude just wants his beans back.” Showing that this is what Por yo quiero frijoles means.
This book also uses many literary elements, another main reason why I love it so much. First off it uses a lot of rhyming throughout the whole book with multiple characters an example is when Skippy’s mother, Mama Junebug Jones is punishing him she says “…About just what is means to be a cat, not a bird, not a mouse or a grouse, not a moose or a goose, not a rat or a bat, you need to think what it means to be a Siamese cat!” This in my opinion makes the book even more lighthearted and fun. Another literary element the book uses is alliteration a wonderful example of this is that all of Skippy’s sisters and mother’s have J names for instance “Mama Junebug Jones”. This makes the book even more adorable and makes the words fun to say. That leads into another amazing thing about this story that all ages can love! It has so many silly words in this. Making it incredibly fun and interesting for example, Skippy at one point shouts “Holy guacamoley!” Something that I feel that made the story line that much better and helped to make it even more hilarious.
Another wonderful literary element I found was onomatopoeia. A delightful example of this is when Skippy is jumping around on his bed and to explain the author writes, “Bang, Bang, Bang!” Another fun way that adds to the hilarity of the story. A final literary element I found was descriptive language. It really helped to add to the story and have a reader envision Skippy’s adventure. An example is when Skippy’s is about to fight Bandito and the author says, “His legs shimmed and shook like Jell-O.” The reader can really imagine and get an image of Skippy’s legs shaking like Jell-O.
A final thing I found that made this book even more fantastic was the beautifully, sketched drawings. These drawings were so colorful, that they added to the story and made Skippy’s adventure really come to life. An example of this is when Skippy’s falls out of his adventure also known as his closet and breaks his birthday piñata. The author really shows all the candy flying by added a huge display of round bright colored candy all over the page. Helping the reader to really capture the whole story. In short this book is a wickedly hilarious and fun book for all ages that tells use a story about just being yourself and that just because you are one thing doesn’t mean you have to follow all those stereotypes. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 29, 2014 |
Might be good for expanding vocabulary ( )
  Bmazzola94 | Sep 26, 2014 |
Summary: Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat who has a huge imagination. He gets in trouble and is sent to his room where he is told not to go into his closet. He jumps and jumps on his bed and when he jumps really high looks and sees his reflection in the mirror. He has huge ears so he pretends he is a chihuahua who is a great sword fighter and he finds other dog friends who are in need of a hero. They have a bean thief and Skippyjon Jones aka Skippito to the dogs is just the dog to get their beans back. The bumble bee is who has stolen the beans and Skippyjon Jones makes the bee explode because he is full of the stolen beans by popping his belly with a sword. He makes a huge noise in his room and his mother comes to check on him. He has gone into his closet and his mother gives him kisses and asks what she is going to do with him. Then he is sent to bed and the book says quite a few words in Spanish.

Personal Reaction: I thought this book was very clever in the use of another language. It is a great thing for young children to be exposed to another language.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1. After reading the book see if any students know any other words in Spanish.
2. Have them look up a few words in a translation dictionary that were in the story. ( )
  LynleeRae | Sep 14, 2014 |
I love the rhythm of this book and the silliness of this cat who thinks he is a dog! The crazy names for all of his siblings and mother make it even more fun to read!! The mixing of English and Spanish words throughout the book provide a sense of culture to the story without making it the focus of the story. I love reading this to children using a lot of expression.
If I was reading this to students in an elementary school, I would have children write down words they don't know as I am reading. I would have them investigate what each word means so they could use them in a story they write during Writing Workshop. ( )
  PeggyLisenbee | Aug 12, 2014 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible