Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

Recently added byaracelig, elle29388, private library, ElizabethVasta, glhs, slontine, biblio99, slynneblarp, shaunaph

I liked the book for three reasons. First, the book uses descriptive language. As Skippyjon Jones refused to use the litter box, the text states, “this twisted his mama’s whiskers tighter than a Texas tornado.” The metaphor used in the writing makes the book more engaging and motivating for the reader to finish the story. The figurative language also creates a mental picture for the reader to understand the impact of how his mom feels. Second, the illustrations enhance the story. The book shows Skippito running through a dark tomb as the text says, “So Skippito drew in a deep breath and dove into the darkness of the musty old tomb.” The reader can look at the picture and immediately understand what the text is saying. The pictures in the book support the writing of the text and help readers follow what is happening. Third, the writing is engaging since it enlarges and bolds the rhyming words. The book says, “Whose ears are too big for his head? And who loves to go bounce on his bed? Who creeps on all fours, Through his own closet door, Straight into the Land of the Dead?” Creating a rhyming scheme, enlarging the words, and bolding the rhyming words catches the interest of the reader and instills a desire to complete the book to find more rhymes. The rhyming enhances the text for the reader to enjoy and understand the story. Overall, the main idea is that the monsters we imagine before bed aren’t real. It is important to be brave and not let your fears get the best of you. ( )
  shill11 | Nov 10, 2015 |
Summary: Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat that has several brothers and sisters. He is the kitten with a huge imagination, which leads him to Mexico where he meets some Chihuahuas that want him to save them from a bad guy. He wears a mask and carries a sword.

Personal Reaction: I don't personally care for this series, although my own children love them. They are a bit of a tongue twister at times. I do enjoy the silliness of the story line, just not the wording. The illustrations are great and help a reader like me, find a little enjoyment.

Classroom Extensions: Squence the events of the book on a long sheet of butcher paper.
Have a the kids make Skippyjon mask using card stock and yarn. ( )
  Chelsea.DaVoult | Oct 25, 2015 |
Why do kids love these books?!?!? I swear it's just to torture their parents into reading tongue twister like stories! All three of our kids that I've read this one to have loved it. H likes the little songs with clapping. We are doomed to read this one a few million times in the coming years I'm sure. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This rambunctious Siamese cat pretends to be everything other than what he is. His mother finds him in the birds nest, again, and sends him to time out. There he doesn't sit still for long, and starts bouncing on his bed, where he catches a glimpse of himself and his big ears in the mirror. From that point, he is Skippito Friskito, a sword fighting Chihuahua. He ventures into his closet, and the imagines he meets a group of Chihuahua's called the "Los Chimichango's". ( )
  candyceutter | Sep 18, 2015 |
Hilarious! Don't be shy when you read this
  Yvonne_Chesak | Jul 30, 2015 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible