Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Judy Schachner

Member:ashbrau
Title:Skippyjon Jones
Authors:Judy Schachner
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner (2003)

3.3 (16) adventure (35) animal stories (12) animals (80) cat (33) cats (131) Chihuahua (15) Chihuahuas (22) children (21) children's (48) dog (20) dogs (55) fantasy (29) fiction (87) funny (14) humor (60) imagination (110) Mexico (17) mischief (16) multicultural (14) pets (43) picture book (139) read aloud (28) rhyme (19) rhyming (32) series (20) Siamese cats (36) silly (13) Skippyjon Jones (61) Spanish (92)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat who believes he is a Chihuahua. The reader will embark on in incredibly creative journey with this brave cat.
  kfh2 | Jun 5, 2014 |
I genuinely enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, I like the language the author used, she wrote the language in the same way the characters were speaking it, “My head ees too beeg for my body.” I like this because it allows children to expand their thoughts on spoken language. I also like how the different text styles and sizes were used. I liked this aspect of the book because it keeps the reader engaged by allowing them to really see the excitement or change in voice that the characters have. Something else I liked was how numerous Spanish words were also put into the text to add a bit of variety and teach children a few words from another language. The author also relayed the Spanish words back to English for full comprehension, “Frijoles,” “Not your beans,” “Serious bees-ness.” While there was no outstanding prominent big idea, I feel that through the author’s fun illustrations and language choice that the book holds an entertaining aspect and also shows much about imagination as well. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 6, 2014 |
Oh, heavens, what an adorable book! I loved it! So clever, so fun, so hilarious. Skippyjon Jones is so a quirky, cute, crazy little cat. Kids will love this book and adults won't mind reading it to them. The book leads itself nicely to crazy voices, fun little sayings and the chance to talk about imagination and who we are. I highly recommend.

Note: There is some controversy surrounding this because Jones is a Siamese cat who pretends he is a Chihuahua - and he uses some mangled Spanish in his adventures. There are people who feel this is racist and disrespectful to Mexican culture. I can see how some might feel this way, and I would caution the reader to be aware of this. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 14, 2014 |
I used this book to help my students review literary terms such as alliteration, repetition, epithet, etc. They loved it! ( )
  Eyre32 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Skippy Jon Jones is a great book to encourage imagination in children. In the story the cat, Skippy, gets put in his room for misbehaving, and he is told that he is to sit and think about what it is to be a Siamese cat. However, instead of sitting and thinking, his mind begins to run wild and he beings to go to different lands in his imagination, and he becomes different people. Many children can relate to this story because they understand what it is like to use their imagination and go to a new place in their mind and to have fun! This funny story will keep kids interested, and also can teach some Spanish because in the story Skippy uses many Spanish words to talk to his friends, and even his mother. ( )
  CaittBitt | Nov 21, 2013 |
Para mi familia a la A Better Chance House en Swarthmore: Shayna Israel, Asia Hoe, Patricia Ottley y Julianna Lucre
Especialmente unas gracies a las muchachas hispanas - Marlene Rijo, Erica Pena y Kathleen Regalado - por las lecciones de espanol para El Skippito
Con mucho carino, Mamalita
Every morning, Skippyjon Jones woke up with the birds.
My ears are too beeg for my head. My head ees too beeg for my body. I am not a Siamese cat...I AM A CHIHUAHUA!

AR 3.3, Pts 0.5

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Skippyjon Jones is no ordinary kitten. Oh, no. . . .He's actually El Skippito, a great sword-fighter ready to battle banditos the world over! With a little imagination and a whole lot of fun, this frisky cat dons a mask and cape and takes on a bad bumble-beeto to save the day. And along the way, he'll be sure to steal young reader's hearts, yes indeed-o!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with an overactive imagination who would rather be El Skippito, his Zorro-like alter ego.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,524,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible