The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

The Wind in the Willows (1908)

by Kenneth Grahame

Series: Wind in the Willows (1)

13,709224153 (4.11)2 / 703
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both Narnia and Willows feature anthropomorphized animal heroes who nevertheless retain the quirks of their species. The narrative voice is humorous and quintessentially British. Both stories also include spiritual/religious undertones. Willows predates Narnia by over forty years and was a big influence on Lewis (he even wrote a poem with some of Grahame's characters in it).… (more)
    Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (rakerman)
    rakerman: Although for an older audience than Wind in the Willows, Three Men in a Boat is a classic humourous story of misadventures with boats.
    Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (rakerman)
    rakerman: Both Swallows and Amazons and The Wind in the Willows are classic stories for children that involve boating and adventures.
    Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 by David Petersen (kristenn)
    The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban (kristenn)
    The Willows at Christmas by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    Toad Triumphant by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    The Complete Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: Both are amusing, well-told and well-illustrated animal stories.
    A Fresh Wind in the Willows by Dixon Scott (bookel)
    The Nannycatch Chronicles by James Heneghan (Bitter_Grace)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Willows in Winter by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    The Willows and Beyond by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
Read (23)

English (218)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (224)
Now you might think this is crazy, but I swear it’s not. I have never read this book before. It was such a delight to read it. I loved most of the animals through out the book. I liked that the author really did not give them names besides the animal names that was given them. I think out of all the characters I did not like Mr. Toad much. Maybe I saw a bit of myself in him and that is the reason. Or the fact that he cares for no one but himself.

I liked how Mr. Grahame gave Mr. Toad a chance to redeem himself. Even after the awful things he has done through out the the book. It reminds me of how God himself allows us to redeem ourselves through him.

My favorite part of the book is Chapter 7, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I feel in that chapter we see a look of God in there from the animals perspective. Rat and Mole are trying to help Otter to find his lost babe and while on the search they hear this magical music that they follow while on the river searching. They follow it to this island upstream and they see something so wonderful but terrifying all at the same time. What is described there I feel is what it is to look upon God. The sense of peace, the beauty of what is all over the island, the light that is shining, the face they see. I just can’t describe it as well as Mr. Grahame does in the book. But, I feel that is what God looks like to us, but not as an animal! The most tragic part of that chapter is they are touched with a reed or flower and it feels like a kiss and they are meant to forget all they have seen. How horrible to forget all that. I would hope that God would not do that to us if we have had the privilege of seeing him.

I am so happy that I read this book as an adult. I am able to see the adult themes within this book as well as the childishness within the book all at the same time. I truly liked this book and I recommend it for both adult and child. If my children were young I would most defiantly read this to them at night. It has just enough fun and adventure to keep them wanting to read it every night, but wanting to ask for one more chapter each night! ( )
  justbeingmyself | May 21, 2017 |
Superbly abridged & illustrated version of this children's classic tale aimed at the readers aged 6 to 10 years. ( )
  tommi180744 | May 13, 2017 |
I suppose I was in the mood for this book, but it was a sheer delight and it immediately became a favorite book. My copy has an introduction and afterword, as well as a brief author bio written by Jane Yolen which I really appreciated. We only have a small cast of central characters here, a mole, a water rat, a badger and a toad, 'Mr. Toad'. I adore Mole and Ratty. I found myself loving every one of them, maybe even Mr. Toad. This is a children's book for grown-ups as well as mid aged kids. When I got to chapter 7, titled "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" my mouth dropped open. My copy only has a few illustrations in it - lovely black and white drawings, and the artist is not credited, although I think I deciphered the name Zimic. Then I decided that artist Tricia Zimic created the delightful cover illustration as well as the interior pen and ink drawings.

I much more partial to the early half of the book, the rather nostalgic, pastoral adventures of Mole, Rat and Badger as well as the Piper piece in the middle. As Jane Yolen notes, this is really three sorts of stories in one book. ( )
  RBeffa | Apr 12, 2017 |
Holy homosociality! So, this book is pretty disparaging towards women in general which is it's biggest point against, because otherwise I would've enjoyed it a bit more freely. I thought the Pan/Father Nature thing in that wonderfully titled chapter "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" was just a fantastic take on associating nature and masculinity, though I wish it could've been down in a way that was bending an affirmative femininity, but that's not what Grahame was going for. Because this novel doesn't need women or whatever. Anyways, I know it's what's focused on in every adaptation, but I swear I could've cared less about Toad's driving and was much more aww-ed over by Mole and Rat who are the cutest domestic pair of life partners I've seen in a kid's book for some time.

I actually never read it as a kid because I considered it a sissy-book and scorned it because by seven I was just SO above talking animals, obviously. I'm glad to learn I was assigned it for class, or I might honestly have never picked this up. And I never would have been assured of what I've always felt deep, deep inside, that there is "nothing--absolutely nothing--half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This was the "G" entry in my A-Z challenge based on the unread books I had at my house.

I had never read this book as a child - which is too bad because it has such a good message to young people about friends, adventure and going outside of your comfort zone. As an adult reading this book for the first time, it still resonated with me. I am very glad I read it and will probably read it again in another year or so as i would like to revisit Ratty, Badger and Toad.

I recommend this book to a reader of any age. ( )
  mfbarry | Mar 18, 2017 |

I recommend this book to a reader of any age.

Grahame, Kennethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

The Wind in the Willows [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Malvina G. Vogel

Toad of Toad Hall by A. A. Milne

The Wind in the Willows - adaptation by Kenneth Grahame

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

This edition, with its illustrations, is dedicated to the illustrator's grandson.
For Nikhil.
The illustrator wishes to dedicate the artwork in this edition to his grandmother, Violet King.
The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING—absolutely nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
"After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working."
Before combining, please ensure that you are NOT combining an abridgment, an adaptation, a junior edition or a selection from the story with the complete Wind in the Willows.

The first Dutch edition does not carry the title De wind in de wilgen, but is called De avonturen van Mr. Mol
ISBN 0590447742 is a Scholastics Apple Classics edition of The Wind in the Willows.
ISBN 0517223619 is a Gramercy Books edition of The Wind in the Willows.
ISBN 1568651155 is an International Collectors Library edition of The Wind in the Willows.
ISBN 1435139712 is a Barnes & Noble edition of The Wind in the Willows.

Mole, Water Rat, Badger, and the mischievous Toad live a quiet life on banks of the River Thames with the rest of their animal friends. But Toad tends to get into trouble, and his passion for cars eventually results in his being caught and kept a helpless prisoner in the remotest dungeon of the best-guarded castle in all the land. Dressed as a washerwoman—and with some help from his friends—Toad manages to escape the castle and begins his journey home to Toad Hall. Originally published in 1908, this magnificent new edition of Kenneth Grahame’s charming tale brings the animals' adventures to life and is accompanied by more than 70 new illustrations from award-winning artist Robert Ingpen. Fans of all ages will enjoy reliving—or reading for the first time—this heartwarming story of friendship.
Mole and Rat are chums,
Badger is a reclusive,
Toad causes trouble.
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451530144, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by correspondence from Wind in the Willow's author Kenneth Grahame to his young son, award-winning illustrator Michael Foreman took up paint and brush to follow Mole, Ratty, Mr. Badger, and Toad through another edition of this well-loved kids classic.

Grahame's time-honored story, an adventure-filled idyll that meanders across a lovingly described English countryside, cemented its status as a masterpiece generations ago. But this newest edition adds some noteworthy extras: the unabridged text includes two chapters that don't appear in some modern versions ("The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wayfarers All"), and the book closes with reproductions of two of Grahame's actual letters to his son Alistair ("My darling Mouse") in 1907, written on ornate, old-timey stationery from two Cornwall hotels and recounting one of Toad's first adventures (which Toad fans will recognize as the train-assisted escape of a certain "washerwoman").

These inclusions alone might merit a new edition, but Foreman's illustrations stand shoulder to shoulder with those of previous Winds artists (among them Ernest Shepard, the original illustrator, and Arthur Rackham, both of whom Foreman modestly stands "in awe" of). The lively, full-color illustrations appear generously throughout the book, as they convincingly capture both the story's small moments (like the washerwoman's weeping, for one) and more explosive events (like the storming of Toad Hall). (All ages) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:12 -0400)

The escapades of four animal friends who live along a river in the English countryside--Toad, Mole, Rat, and Badger.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039091, 014132113X, 0141808349, 0141329823, 0143106643

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100739, 1400108489

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676624, 1909676616

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible