The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

The Wind in the Willows (original 1908; edition 2012)

by Kenneth Grahame

11,569181233 (4.14)2 / 570
Member:Renves
Title:The Wind in the Willows
Authors:Kenneth Grahame
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:2012, Your library

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1908)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both Narnia and Willows feature anthropomorphized animal heroes who nevertheless retain the quirks of their species. The narrative voice is humorous and quintessentially British. Both stories also include spiritual/religious undertones. Willows predates Narnia by over forty years and was a big influence on Lewis (he even wrote a poem with some of Grahame's characters in it).… (more)
    Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 by David Petersen (kristenn)
    The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban (kristenn)
    Curious Lives: Adventures from "The Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach (infiniteletters)
    The Willows at Christmas by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    Thornton Burgess Animal Stories by Thornton Burgess (Muzzorola)
    Muzzorola: Haven't read the Burgess books ("Jimmy the Skunk," etc.) since a kid (now in my 50s), but outside of the more realistic type of children's books written from the animals' perspectives, these are the closest thing to Kenneth Grahame ... of what I've read.
    Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (rakerman)
    rakerman: Although for an older audience than Wind in the Willows, Three Men in a Boat is a classic humourous story of misadventures with boats.
    Toad Triumphant by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (rakerman)
    rakerman: Both Swallows and Amazons and The Wind in the Willows are classic stories for children that involve boating and adventures.
    The Complete Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: Both are amusing, well-told and well-illustrated animal stories.
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    Nannycatch Chronicles by James Heneghan (Bitter_Grace)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    A Fresh Wind in the Willows by Dixon Scott (bookel)
    The Willows in Winter by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)
    The Willows and Beyond by William Horwood (Osbaldistone)

English (176)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (182)
Nature is, in a sense, English, is it not? Not the real ecosystems and glacial lakes and herd mammals and giant fungi and sewage outflows that make up our planet, but that pastoral Arcadia that's just wild enough to be thrilling but where you always come out all right in the end. I think as a kid the animals here would have been a bit too anthropomorphized for me--your Berenstain Bears or whatever can go suck their paws, I wanted worlds based on assumptions fundamentally different from our own. And the fact is that's actually what you've got here, in a way--a world where all is instinct and instinct is always right, the nose always knows, and all that's left is to follow your nature. And nobody's nature is haunted by demons, cracked open by Ypres, and England can almost pass as its own Arcadia, though unraveling a bit around the edges if you really want to know. (Mr. Toad was based on Grahame's son, who killed himself in 1920, and with a little hoptoad of my own now, infinitely delighted to be here and him, I can't muse on that too long.) The beauty of this is it imagines a world where nobody who gets in your face offers more than a dunking or some night-time forest skulduggery, where animals are basically your countrymen with their best, laziest, most complacent faces on, the garden looks really good this year, and there's always time for messing around in boats. I see this as written as a tonic for imperial ennui, serving too, later, unexpectedly but so luckily, as an escape from post-imperial psychosis. Reading it made me feel calm. ( )
3 vote MeditationesMartini | Aug 15, 2014 |
Though quirky, I didn't find this book to be exciting nor engaging. ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |
Priceless! ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Aug 4, 2014 |
A classic of children's literature. Wonderful. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I did not get into this book at all. I’ve never really been into the books about anthropomorphized animals as it is. I never read this book as a child either, and it seems it would have been better if I had. I thought there were fast parts and then slow parts but no consistent pace. And I didn’t really like Toad all that much. Rat and Mole were more to my liking. There were certainly undertones to the book but I thought it was a little long for a children’s audience. It’s checked off my BBC List reads now and I can now say I’ve read it and may read it to my children in the future but that’s about all I really got out of it. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 25, 2014 |

Contains

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

The Wind in the Willows [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Malvina G. Vogel

Toad of Toad Hall by A. A. Milne

The Wind in the Willows - adaptation by Kenneth Grahame

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

This edition, with its illustrations, is dedicated to the illustrator's grandson.
For Nikhil.
The illustrator wishes to dedicate the artwork in this edition to his grandmother, Violet King.
The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring- cleaning his little home.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
"After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working."
Before combining, please ensure that you are NOT combining an abridgment, an adaptation, a junior edition or a selection from the story with the complete Wind in the Willows.

The first Dutch edition does not carry the title De wind in de wilgen, but is called De avonturen van Mr. Mol
ISBN 1568651155 is an International Collectors Library edition of The Wind in the Willows.
ISBN 1435139712 is a Barnes & Noble edition of The Wind in the Willows.

Mole, Water Rat, Badger, and the mischievous Toad live a quiet life on banks of the River Thames with the rest of their animal friends. But Toad tends to get into trouble, and his passion for cars eventually results in his being caught and kept a helpless prisoner in the remotest dungeon of the best-guarded castle in all the land. Dressed as a washerwoman—and with some help from his friends—Toad manages to escape the castle and begins his journey home to Toad Hall. Originally published in 1908, this magnificent new edition of Kenneth Grahame’s charming tale brings the animals' adventures to life and is accompanied by more than 70 new illustrations from award-winning artist Robert Ingpen. Fans of all ages will enjoy reliving—or reading for the first time—this heartwarming story of friendship.
Mole and Rat are chums,
Badger is a reclusive,
Toad causes trouble.
(Grimauds)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451530144, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by correspondence from Wind in the Willow's author Kenneth Grahame to his young son, award-winning illustrator Michael Foreman took up paint and brush to follow Mole, Ratty, Mr. Badger, and Toad through another edition of this well-loved kids classic.

Grahame's time-honored story, an adventure-filled idyll that meanders across a lovingly described English countryside, cemented its status as a masterpiece generations ago. But this newest edition adds some noteworthy extras: the unabridged text includes two chapters that don't appear in some modern versions ("The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wayfarers All"), and the book closes with reproductions of two of Grahame's actual letters to his son Alistair ("My darling Mouse") in 1907, written on ornate, old-timey stationery from two Cornwall hotels and recounting one of Toad's first adventures (which Toad fans will recognize as the train-assisted escape of a certain "washerwoman").

These inclusions alone might merit a new edition, but Foreman's illustrations stand shoulder to shoulder with those of previous Winds artists (among them Ernest Shepard, the original illustrator, and Arthur Rackham, both of whom Foreman modestly stands "in awe" of). The lively, full-color illustrations appear generously throughout the book, as they convincingly capture both the story's small moments (like the washerwoman's weeping, for one) and more explosive events (like the storming of Toad Hall). (All ages) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:11 -0400)

The escapades of four animal friends who live along a river in the English countryside--Toad, Mole, Rat, and Badger.

Current discussions

the illustrators of The Wind in the Willows in Tattered but still lovely

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039091, 014132113X, 0141808349, 0141329823, 0143106643

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible