Musseled Out by Barbara Ross

The season at the Snowden Family Clambake is about to end and Julia needs to decide if she is returning to New York and her financial advisor job or stay in Busman's Cove to help run the family business. When a new competitor to the family business ends up dead in the water (literally), Julia needs to make sure none of her family is accused of the crime.

I like this series a lot. I like that Julia is still missing New York a bit even though her romance is making small town life more bearable. I like the mystery, it was interesting and although I had it mostly figured out there was still a surprise. I like the family feel of the town. I am hoping for an enormous snow storm in the next book. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Sep 28, 2015 |
I received a free kindle copy of Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery) by Barbara Ross, published by Kensington Books from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this cozy mystery five stars. I had not read Barbara Ross before but will look for more of her books. This mystery kept me guessing & taught me a lot about lobster catching in Maine. The characters were well developed & storyline was entertaining.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Musseled-Maine-Clambake-Mystery-Book-ebook/dp/B00ONTR4TO ( )
  Carolyn.Injoy-Life | Jun 25, 2015 |
Musseled Out by Barbara Ross is the third book in A Maine Clambake Mystery series. Julia Snowden had taken a leave of absence from her job working in venture capital and is helping her family run The Snowden Family Clambake Company (getting it back from the brink of bankruptcy). Owen Quimby, H.R. Director, has called saying she needs to come back to work or they are going to fill her position. Julia cannot decide what to do. She is given until Friday to make up her mind. The season is ending and they have to close everything up out on Morrow Island (the private island the family owns where they hold the clambakes). Julia’s sister, Livvy, along with her husband, Sonny, and their little girl, Page have already moved back to the mainland. Julia has to decide whether to get an apartment, live with her mother (she does not like that option), or move in with her boyfriend, Chris Durand. Julia has trouble with commitments and does not think she is ready to move in with Chris.

The afternoon after looking at an apartment, Julia is out on Morrow Island. She sees a lobster boar drifting around. Lobster boats did not drift and Julia does not see anyone on board (from her position on the island). She calls in the Coast Guard and they haul the boat to Busman’s Harbor. When the boat is pulled up, they find David Thwing tangled up in the trap lines. Mr. Thwing along with Genevieve Pelletir (his chef and business partner) are opening a rival business. He was known as The Mussel King and had several restaurants. He was now going to offer gourmet meals instead of clambakes. Sonny had been opening opposing him. The owner of the boat, Peter Murray, was not on the boat. Everyone is out looking for Peter. Sonny is the police’s number one suspect. Livvy asks Julia to find out where Sonny was that day and prove him innocent.

Julia has to clear Sonny’s name, find the real killer, decide if she wants to stay on the island or go back to Manhattan, and where she wants to live. Julia does not seem to be able to make decisions so she sets out to solve the murder. Something is also wrong with Mrs. Gus. She collapses and is rushed to the hospital. It turns out that her medication for arthritis had a foreign substance on them. But where did the medication come from? There is no label on them. Kyle, Sonny’s younger brother, seems to have a drug problem. But where is getting the drugs and the money to pay for them? Do the drugs tie into David Thwing’s murder? Julia has her work cut out for with the mystery!

Musseled Out is a great cozy mystery. This book can easily be read as a stand-alone (if you have not read the two books before Musseled Out). I give Musseled Out 5 out of 5 stars. Musseled Out has romance, humor, interesting characters, an independent cat named Le Roi,and a good mystery. The mystery was medium level. Not super easy to solve, but not too hard. I look forward to the next book in this series!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 23, 2015 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Net Galley
The busy summer tourist season is winding down in Busman's Harbor, Maine, but Julia Snowden senses trouble simmering for the Snowden Family Clambake Company. Shifty David Thwing--the "Mussel King" of upscale seafood restaurants--is sniffing around town for a new location. But serving iffy clams turns out to be the least of his troubles. .
I did not realise that this was the third in a series of books by Barbara Ross which is a shame as going by this book i would have loved the previous two!
She really explains the environment which i loved & even though there was a murder involved it still made me want to get on a plane to Maine & experience a clambake! i thought the recipes at the end were a nice touch too & will be having a go! ( )
  maximeg | Mar 25, 2015 |
4 Stars

This is third book in the Maine Clambake Mystery series. Sure makes me hungry for seafood. In the back of the book is a bunch of yummy recipes for the dishes they talk about.

The characters are mostly the same ones in at least the second book. I liked them and loved seeing them again. Julia Snowden is the main character. She has been back trying to get the family business settled. Julia all of a sudden can't make decisions. Is she ready to go back to her business job? Too lease an apartment? What about her boyfriend Chris?

David Thwing is going to open a business on Busman Harbor that will be the same as there. Her brother-in-law Sonny has been leading the charge trying to stop him from building on there island.

His chain of have done well in other towns. He rubs it in Julia's face.

When he turns up dead tied in lobster pots and the captain is missing. Sonny becomes the main suspect. Sonny is lying about what he was doing that day even too his wife.

Julia tries to prove him innocent and find out where he really was and who killed Thwing.

The setting for this book is Busman Harbor, Maine A island that does a lot of Lobster fishing. They are feuding with Lobster fisherman from a neighbor island about fishing waters.

Musseled Out is a good mystery. Lots of drama, lots of good community of characters. A clean read. A good steady pace.

I want to come back and visit again and see what the characters are up too now?

I was given this ebook to read by Net Galley and Kensington Books. In return I agreed to give an honest review of Musseled Out.

Review was first published on readalot ( )
  rhonda1111 | Mar 14, 2015 |

"The busy summer tourist season is winding down in Busman's Harbor, Maine, but Julia Snowden senses trouble simmering for the Snowden Family Clambake Company. Shifty David Thwing--the "Mussel King" of upscale seafood restaurants--is sniffing around town for a new location. But serving iffy clams turns out to be the least of his troubles...When Thwing is found sleeping with the fishes beneath a local lobsterman's boat, the police quickly finger Julia's brother-in-law Sonny as the one who cooked up the crime. Sure, everyone knows Sonny despised the Mussel King...but Julia believes he's innocent. Proving it won't be easy, though. It seems there's a lot more than murder on the menu, and Julia needs to act fast"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,518,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible