There Are Jews in My House by Lara Vapnyar

There Are Jews in My House

by Lara Vapnyar

1585113,537 (3.98)1 / 31

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
I found each of the stories in this collection to be deeply emotional, but not in the typical "the Germans are after the Jews" kind of way. In fact, the title is somewhat misleading, as not all of the stories follow that particular moment in history. There are stories of being an immigrant, learning a new language and new life, of dealing with loss, of coping with prejudice when you're just a small child, among others. Each chapter is a look into the lives of new characters with new experiences, each in their own time and in their own situations.

These stories don't just convey what it was like to be a random person in the past, they miraculously convey all of the emotion behind those experiences. When you read about the bully, you will feel bullied, when you read about the stresses of hiding your best friend from the Germans, you will feel and understand the anxiety in a way you never could have before. ( )
1 vote mirrani | Sep 13, 2012 |
This is a simple and easily read collection of stories, even though the subject matters aren't always so easy. Perhaps the author having English as a second language limits the complexity of the language, but even if this is the case, I hope it's a style that Vapnyar will continue. The easiness of her language makes her stories about shame and guilt so much more pointed and heartfelt. The title story is the strongest in this collection - maybe because the viewpoint is different from what I've read before - but the other stories are very potent as well and as a debut collection this shows huge potential. ( )
  -Eva- | Sep 3, 2010 |
A collection of short fiction about ordinary Russian people in various time-and-place settings. Excellent character sketches. Except for the title piece, I liked these very much. "There are Jews in My House" was well written, but its story just peters out, leaving the reader with questions that detract from what I think the author was trying to do. The rest of the selections, however, worked for me on all levels. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jul 26, 2010 |
I find these short stories intriguing. In each, the author explores one individual deeply and how that person relates to others. The author digs finely into the emotions of each narrator and exquisitely explores the puzzling and often conflicted feelings each one expresses. What makes the stories especially interesting is that some of the protagonists are children.

I cannot pick favorites out of this collection. These are beautifully rendered short stories not to be missed. I really have enjoyed each story on its own merit and think all of them are truly delightful. I am now eagerly looking for more short stories by this talented author. ( )
1 vote SqueakyChu | Oct 2, 2008 |
Galina carried in an aluminum pot of boiled potatoes, holding it by the handles with a kitchen towel.
Original title: There Are Jews in My House

Innocence rounds the bend to experience in these beautifully shaped stories of Moscow and Brooklyn, which take up the worldview of the young and overlooked. The stunning Second World War story that opens the book is a masterpiece of ambivalence—about the simultaneous generosity and hypocrisy of Galina, a gentile Russian woman who offers safe harbor to a Jewish friend and her daughter during the German occupation. In “Love Lessons—Mondays, 9 A.M.,” a young math teacher is assigned to teach a girls’ sex education class, even though she herself is still awaiting her first kiss. And in “Mistress,” a boy newly arrived in this country bears witness to the intimate details of his grandparents’ new and diverging lives: his grandmother’s doctors’ appointments, where he is charged with translating her myriad complaints into English, and his grandfather’s clandestine courtship of another woman.

Adept at both snapshots and long exposures, Lara Vapnyar, herself a recent immigrant, writes of life’s adventures and possibilities, its disappointments and unexpected turns, with delicate humor, brilliant timing, and striking emotional honesty. She is a writer to relish and to watch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

"Innocence rounds the bend to experience in these beautifully shaped stories of Moscow and Brooklyn, which take up the worldview of the young and overlooked. The Second World War story that opens the book is a masterpiece of ambivalence - about the simultaneous generosity and hypocrisy of Galina, a gentile Russian woman who offers safe harbor to a Jewish friend and her daughter during the German occupation. In "Love Lessons - Monday, 9 A.M.," a young math teacher is assigned to teach a girls' sex education class, even though she herself is still awaiting her first kiss. And in "Mistress," a boy newly arrived in this country bears witness to the intimate details of his grandparents' new and diverging lives: his grandmother's doctors' appointments, where he is charged with translating her myriad complaints into English, and his grandfather's clandestine courtship of another woman."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible