Hawke by Bell Ted

Title:Hawke
Authors:Bell Ted
Info:Pocket Books (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 608 pages

Hawke by Ted Bell

I picked up this novel as a Kindle after finishing all the Alistair MacLean and Ian Fleming novels and searching for a new author to collect - Ted Bell will not be that author. This book is corny, cliched and I am frankly amazed that it has had any follow-ups. I was troubled by all the inaccuracies in the book. A case in point, early in the book our hero Alex Hawke chastises a companion for smoking saying that cigarettes were the cause in John Wayne's death. Whilst Wayne did die of cancer, it was stomach cancer and not lung cancer, and most people accept that Wayne's involvement in the 1956 film The Conqueror close to the Utah atomic bomb tests was the cause for his cancer (a disproportionate number of the people who worked on the movie died of cancer brought on by exposure to the radiation from the tests). The book is peppered with similar inaccuracies showing poor research on the author’s part. Added to that is the fact that our hero Alex Hawke is possibly the most wholly unlikeable hero I have ever come across in fiction. He is rude, crass and intolerant. In meeting two Russian agents for a shady arms deal Hawke makes fun of the fall of the Soviet Union and Russians in general. Although I am no fan of the Soviet Union or communism it’s jarring and amateurish to see the authors obvious personal bias showing so clearly through the work. Earlier in the novel he has a U.S. Navy lowlife make fun of Chinese people. Although I can forgive Sax Rohmer and the like for their overt racism, they were a product of their time. Bell wrote the book Hawke in 2003 and his writing seems hopelessly out-of-step with modern sensibilities. Added to that is the fact that Hawke works simultaneously for both the British and American governments. For goodness sake make your mind up Hawke. I can buy an agent that works for one or the other, or an agent that is temporarily on loan to one from the other. Since Hawke is an Englishmen I would have preferred if he just worked for British intelligence in his off-time and once I awhile does a few jobs for Uncle Sam that are in-keeping with British interests. I have since discovered Desmond Bagley whose novels are much more to my liking and having much more fun reading Bagley's adventure novels. ( )
  DarrenHarrison | Aug 22, 2016 |
In the quest for a superhero, the author has given his character too much history and too many qualifications. The writing seemed to come from an amateur, obsessed with John Wayne and James Bond. The pages seemed to be a collection of clichés, interrupted by name dropping. I wonder if by the end of the book, he named every star in Hollywood. I didn't even like the title. After reading 10%, I gave up. ( )
  delta61 | Jul 15, 2016 |
Just awful...totally cheesy. Still mad at myself for wasting the time to plow through it all. I really don't understand how this became an 8 book series. ( )
  CharlesHornaday | Jan 18, 2016 |
Weak and watery James Bond-ish spy novel. Full of cliches and stereotypes and really bad dialogue. It started off really well and fell apart within a few chapters. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 3, 2013 |
Alex Hawke's story is captivating and exciting. You will be swept away by the young boy who loses his family and the life he lives because of that fateful day. Ted Bell is a fabulous author. I highly recommend his work! Start with Hawke and enjoy a thrilling ride. ( )
  cati11 | Aug 28, 2013 |
The boy, barely seven years old, was dreaming what was to be the last completely happy dream of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743466691, Hardcover)

A James Bond for the 21st century, Alex Hawke is suave, sexy, smart, wealthy, and deadly. And he's got the bloodlines to prove it--the direct descendant of a famous English pirate, the British secret agent is back in the Caribbean where his ancestor once amassed a legendary fortune and where, decades ago, his own parents were brutally tortured and murdered for a secret Alex, to this day, doesn't know he has in his possession. What brings Alex back to the scene of a crime he only vaguely remembers witnessing as a child is a mission to find and recover a stealth submarine that's gone missing less than a hundred miles from the American mainland, complete with 40 nuclear warheads and a rogue terrorist's finger on the countdown button. It's a hoary premise, but Bell makes it work with skillful plotting, quick characterizations, and a lively hero who deserves a sequel, not to mention the big screen treatment. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:59 -0400)

A modern-day swashbuckler and one of England's most decorated naval heroes, Lord Alexander Hawke heads for the Caribbean on a top-secret mission for the U.S. government, to locate an experimental stealth submarine, built by the Soviets just prior to the end of the Cold War, which has fallen into the hands of an unstable government planning a preemptive strike against the U.S.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,744,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible