The Witches by Roald Dahl

The Witches (1983)

by Roald Dahl

English (147)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (157)
A recently orphaned boy and his beloved old Norwegian grandmother take on the witches convention of England and the Grand High Witch of all the World, in a sweet, sad story. ( )
  quondame | Aug 6, 2018 |
This book is a treasure, and I love that my job requires in-depth knowledge of its contents. ( )
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
Well.

This got dark.

I'd be very curious to see how a person's reaction to the book and the ending itself changes as they grow older. This book was surprisingly creepy, surprisingly sad, and surprisingly troublesome when it comes to the ending. I've heard good things about the film, but I'm uncertain how they treat the final scenes in it?

I'd read this book to my children, should I have any. I'd watch them not sleep for months. But that's true of most [a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg] stories, innit? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This book is very imaginative and leads readers into a world full of witches. A young boy and his grandmother go on vacation in England and happen to crash the annual meeting of the child hating witches who hatch a plan to turn young children into mice. During the convention meeting, they catch him snooping on them and turn him into a mice. After being turned into a mouse, Luke and his grandmother try to find a way to bring down the witches. I would use this book to introduce descriptive writing and give the students a prompt about writing a description of the missing children along with creating a missing children's poster. ( )
  Tanyka | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is a very interesting book that taps into the creative minds of kids. It is interesting to see the interpretations you get from this book and how it changes in the end of the story. I would not use this book in a lesson but I would keep it in my classroom for my students to read on their own.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 19, 2018 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meek, ElinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Boy / The Witches / Matilda by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Matilda / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Witches / The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Omnibus: The Witches / Esio Trot / The Twits / The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 6-Book Boxed Set: The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Esio Trot, Matilda, The BFG by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.
Unknown if book or movie

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible