The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1983)

by Roald Dahl

Member:joeeasterly
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Info:New York : Scholastic, 1997, c1983.
Collections:Fiction & Literature

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (144)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All (154)
This book is very imaginative and leads readers into a world full of witches. A young boy and his grandmother go on vacation in England and happen to crash the annual meeting of the child hating witches who hatch a plan to turn young children into mice. During the convention meeting, they catch him snooping on them and turn him into a mice. After being turned into a mouse, Luke and his grandmother try to find a way to bring down the witches. I would use this book to introduce descriptive writing and give the students a prompt about writing a description of the missing children along with creating a missing children's poster. ( )
  Tanyka | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is a very interesting book that taps into the creative minds of kids. It is interesting to see the interpretations you get from this book and how it changes in the end of the story. I would not use this book in a lesson but I would keep it in my classroom for my students to read on their own.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 19, 2018 |
A fun story. Again, a new Dahl for me. This is a tale of how one little boy and his grandmamma set out to rid the world of witches by taking down the entire system. It's fun, but some of the descriptive parts were a bit boring. Toward the end, I started to pick and choose how much detail to read. One thing about Dahl, his nasty characters are truly among the most villainous in literature--hands down--he's so awesome. Not sure what the kids will pick for their next bedtime read, but they've created an entire Dahl shelf in my office, so it will be interesting. I still love JAMES the most! Centipede and Earthworm are the best! ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
Witches is a interesting book. There are two main characters the grandma and the grandson but in the world there are evil children hating witches.These witches don't look normal but with there masks they look normal.This has made it hard for them to track down.After hes been turned to a mouse they have a plan.He steales the potion from the grand high witch.Without anyone finding out hes turns them all to witches. ( )
  AmelieS.B2 | Jan 17, 2018 |
As the years end creeps closer I find myself frantically searching for books to knock off some of my 2017 reading challenge prompts. The Witches was a perfect fit for "a book set in a hotel".

The Witches is a childhood favorite of mine. Having seen the movie at least a dozen times (probably more), I realized I never had read the book so here we are. For those not familiar (weirdos) here is a brief synopsis.

After a tragic accident killed both of his parents, a young seven year old boy goes to live with his eccentric Norwegian grandmother. Brought up on her stories of witches all his life, he is able to discern the tiny details that make a witch that others may easily overlook. While on summer holiday with his grandmother off the coast of England, the young boy stumbles across a convention of witches being led by non other than the Grand High Witch herself. After overhearing her horrific plot to rid England of children, the young boy and his grandmother square off in a game of wits against the vile witches of England.

With the exception to the ending (which we will get to in a minute), this book is exactly how I remembered the movie. The story progression and characters all perfectly paralleled the movie (which was awesome because I love the movie). My favorite character of the book is most certainly the grandmother not only for her ability to tell a good story, but her spunk and tenacity. She was one cool granny! I was surprised by the ending, I won't spoil it by writing about what happened but I will say it was completely different than the book (which I would think would annoy me, but actually I found it quite fitting). Although intended for children, I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Perhaps it was the nostalgia of it being from one of my favorite movies as a kid, or perhaps because Roald Dahls work is timeless. Either way, this book is one to read with your kids, or on your own, either way you are in for a treat! ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Dec 12, 2017 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Boy / The Witches / Matilda by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Matilda / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Witches / The BFG by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl Omnibus: The Witches / Esio Trot / The Twits / The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 6-Book Boxed Set: The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Esio Trot, Matilda, The BFG by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.
Unknown if book or movie

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,916,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible