The Unquiet Dead: A Novel (Rachel Getty and…

The Unquiet Dead: A Novel (Rachel Getty and Esa Khattak Novels) (edition 2015)

by Ausma Zehanat Khan (Author)

Member:Donna828
Title:The Unquiet Dead: A Novel (Rachel Getty and Esa Khattak Novels)
Authors:Ausma Zehanat Khan (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Tags:Mystery series, Canada, Bosnia, Genocide, Read in 2018

The Unquiet Dead by Ausma Zehanat Khan

#1 in the series set in Toronto. I learned a ton about Bosnia. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 25, 2018 |
Chose this book because it is set in Toronto, and I was so pleasantly surprised. This is so much more than a mystery/detective novel. The mystery and the detectives provide the means for a sensitive telling of stories of the war in Bosnia in 1992-1995. This book further adds to the telling I first discovered when I read [b:The Cellist of Sarajevo|2475251|The Cellist of Sarajevo|Steven Galloway|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1442797420s/2475251.jpg|2482448]. I am sure there are many more books to be read and written on this topic, but I doubt many of them will take this easily accessible format. This well written mystery novel offers interesting characters (word if that there will be sequels...) and settings. Looking forward to reading more from this author! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
This is a tough novel to pin down. The narrative is a fictional police procedural, noir mystery but the storyline is deeply steeped in the very real horrors of the war/slaughter in Bosnia during the breakup of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s. Zehanat Khan rightly wants the story of the tragedy to be more widely known. In this respect she is very effective. You will know much more at the end of the novel, particularly if you read the footnotes that correspond to the quotations at the beginning of each chapter. It is hard to find words for the deep suffering experienced or for the depravity of the inflictors. It is very tough reading.

The story itself provides an interesting pair of detectives. As they follow the clues their own learning of the painful sources of suffering that drive the various characters paralleled this reader's own learning. I do have to say that standing alone the denouement is not particularly striking. It is the depth of the rest of the story that makes this a compelling read. The author has chosen wisely for a venue to convey these sad facts. ( )
  danhammang | Jul 5, 2018 |
Fantastic example of a great mystery combined with truly compelling literary fiction at its best. The relationship between Esa and Rachel is fascinating, and I can't wait to see it play out over (hopefully) many books to come. Highly recommended!! ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | May 3, 2018 |
I nearly stopped reading early on - I find some of the characterization awkward and unrealistic. But I’m glad I stayed with it. A worthwhile read despite the flaws. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
Throughout Getty and Khattak’s solid and comprehensive investigation, Khan’s talents are evident. This first in what may become a series is a many-faceted gem. It’s a sound police procedural, a somber study of loss and redemption and, most of all, a grim effort to make sure that crimes against humanity are not forgotten.

Let justice be done lest the world perish. -Hegel
For my parents, Dr. Zehanat Ali Khan and Mrs. Nasima Khan, whose love and shining example are everything.
Esa Khattak turned his head to the right, offering the universal salaam at the conclusion of the evening prayer.

"Detective Esa Khattak is in the midst of his evening prayers when he receives a phone call asking that he and ... Detective Rachel Getty look into the death of a local man who has fallen off a cliff. At first Christopher Drayton's death--which looks like an accident--doesn't seem to warrant a police investigation, especially not from Khattak and Rachel's team, which handles minority-sensitive cases. But it soon comes to light that Drayton might have been living under an assumed name, and he may not have been the upstanding Canadian citizen he appeared to be. In fact, he may have been a Bosnian war criminal with ties to the Srebrenica massacre of 1995"--… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,217,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible