The Space in Between by Jen Minkman

The Space in Between

by Jen Minkman

What if you really can fall in love with the man of your dreams?

Moira's life has been a constant pressure. She got diagnosed with ADHD, has a part-time job at a local hotel and a part-time college with a time-consuming school work. She is working on her school work in which she needs to make a still-life painting, but she only had finished the landscape and doesn't know what would be the perfect center piece will be.

On Halloween, when she helps her siblings do a Wiccan ritual at the stone circle to contact their grandparents, they opened a portal to a different world between the living and the dead. There she meets a man sitting inside a magic circle named Hayko, trapped by an evil spirit who wants him for herself. After they return home, Moira returns to the dreamland night after night. She becomes more drawn to Hayko as she learns more about his past. Soon, realizes that she is destined to help him "cross over" and do everything to save him even though she has no idea why. Will she be able to save him in time or not? Can she really fall in love with the man in her dreams?

Minkman did a spectacular job in creating a world of magic, romance and spirituality balanced with reality; a setting that you can easily picture with her vivid descriptions as well as the visuals she gave for this story. I really appreciate it a lot because she made it easier for her readers to visualize and experience the world with the characters as if you were standing right beside them. The story itself has twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the end. Minkman kept me on my toes throughout.

Minkman created characters as real as possible in which you can easily see what kinds of people they are nevertheless it made me want to know them better. I somewhat understand and feel for the main character, Moira, in this novel. Initially, she was a bit annoying, but then I saw how her character developed throughout the story and it made me very happy as I took this journey with her. Also, I tried to put myself in her shoes that in one point I really got irritated, so if I may ask...

How can she put up with that guy? The guy's an ass!

The relevance of the supporting characters in the story was well thought out. Everyone had a purpose; that was good enough for me.

This is the first book I read in all Jen Minkman's novels. I am glad that I have read this book. I look forward to reading more of her novels in the future!

I won this book from a giveaway hosted by the author on BookLikes. ( )
  iamshelfless | Jul 27, 2015 |
My feelings about this novel were quite mixed. I did really like the idea of this story. The parts set in the dream world are really original and imaginative. It's clear that Minkman is a very intelligent person and her research shows through in the way that she compares the key points of the Order of the Peacock Angel to better known religions. I also really appreciated that she did not feel the need to spoon-feed the reader. A lot of aspects of the plot are open to interpretation, leaving a lot of food for thought.

The novel also didn't follow the structure of most YA paranormal romances as there was no supernatural half of the the relationship. Both of the protagonists were human and the paranormal aspects purely came from the circumstances in which they met.

However, the real world chapters had a tendency to drag as they were quite repetitive, focusing on humdrum aspects of Moira's life that were often irrelevant to the bigger picture. I also found the use of Welsh in the story to be rather distracting as Welsh words frequently peppered the dialogue without explanation. There were also some typos within the text (most noticeably the occasional misspelling of "Dai" as "Sai") which really should have been fixed during editting.

I also found the characters to be a mixed bag. While I loved Hayko, Holly, Tabby and Dai, I did not gravitate towards either Patrick or Moira. Patrick's flaws are obvious from the beginning and I found that I wanted to choke him every time he opened his chauvinistic mouth. However, because she had allowed Patrick to order her around for seven years, I found it really hard to empathise with Moira's situation. I love strong female leads, not ones that will bend to a man's every whim (even when they make her unhappy). While I do appreciate that Moira did eventually see the light, it took her far too long for my liking. Especially as she had such a huge support network - it wasn't as though she was ever even dependent on Patrick!

All in all, this wasn't the novel for me. I would recommend it to a fan of the genre though as I expect they're more likely to get a kick out of it. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jun 3, 2015 |

Is contained in

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150077510X, Paperback)

When Moira helps out her sister and brother in a Wiccan ritual on Halloween, the last thing she expects is to be swept away to a mystical wilderness. Sitting within the stones of the ancient circle of Penmaenmawr, Wales, she's convinced it's an illusion. But the dark-haired, handsome man with amnesia that Moira meets during her trance cannot be blinked away like a dream. Hayko, the mysterious stranger, won’t let go. After returning home from her stone circle adventure, she is beckoned back night after night to the outlandish dreamland by an invisible force. But the hardest part isn't having to fight the terrifying creatures of these nightmares--it's realizing she’s falling for a guy without a past who isn’t real. What if you really can fall in love with the man of your dreams?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

When Moira helps out her sister and brother in a Wiccan ritual on Halloween, the last thing she expects is to be swept away to a mystical wilderness. Sitting within the stones of the ancient circle of Penmaenmawr, Wales, she's convinced it's an illusion. But the dark-haired, handsome man with amnesia that Moira meets during her trance cannot be blinked away like a dream. Hayko, the mysterious stranger, won't let go. After returning home from her stone circle adventure, she is beckoned back night after night to the outlandish dreamland by an invisible force. But the hardest part isn't having to fight the terrifying creatures of these nightmares--it's realizing she's falling for a guy without a past who isn't real. What if you really can fall in love with the man of your dreams?… (more)

Jen Minkman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,789,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible