The End of All Things by John Scalzi

The End of All Things

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (6)

English (25)  German (1)  All (26)
Preview copy provided by NetGalley.

I was a late starter to The Old Man's War series but I have enjoyed the books that I have read. Being first person, it is easy to get involved in the narrative and go with the flow so to speak. I think this was an excerpt as I think there are still areas left to explore with this book. If it is, I look forward to locating the rest and seeing where the story will take me.
  ggoldby | May 21, 2017 |
Satisfying conclusion to this series of books. Looking forward to reading his other works. ( )
  kale.dyer | Apr 17, 2017 |
I really enjoy the Old Man’s War universe, so this was a no-brainer pre-order for me. Just like The Human Division, this is a series of loosely connected stories that tells a larger tale. Scalzi’s trademark wit is in full evidence, and the political shenanigans his characters get up to are always fun to read about. I was surprised that the ongoing CDF/Earth/Conclave story arc was actually wrapped up pretty neatly, since there are more books scheduled to be written in the universe. I’m looking forward to see where Scalzi takes the story next. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
3.5 Stars - an engaging continuation of the 'Old Man's War' sequence. These four pieces of short fiction kick of shortly after the events of 'The Human Division', with the novella 'The Life of the Minds'a standout 'brain in a jar' story making a fine beginning. Rafe Daquin, a down on his luck pilot makes a fateful choice of employment. A promotion to chief pilot turns out to have unattractive consequences...

Within the stories, Scalzi explores themes of maintenance of empire and control, in a populous and fractious galaxy, where freedom and self-determination may carry a real risk of subjugation or extermination by others.

What are the motivations and choices of the leaders of the Conclave, the Colonial Union and Earth, who are pressed from all sides by competing and often irreconcilable demands? ('This Hollow Union')

How do common soldiers cope when their orders to protect the staus quo of empire sees them participating in actions which seem against the interests of those they are tasked to protect? ('can Long Endure').

It is all wrapped up nicely enough in the finale 'To Stand of Fall', which might well be the last we see of this particular series.

Scalzi's light hearted and mildly mocking prose reads and scans well, and the narratives in the individual stories motor along quite satisfactorily. To some extent, the exploits of our heroes are perhaps overly assisted by the stupidity or overconfidence of their enemies, but these faults are minor. Well worth the time to read, especially if you have enjoyed the earlier installments.
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Hardbound collection of stories Scalzi sold individually already, all reinforcing his lefty-fascist tendencies. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
New readers will certainly enjoy the work, but the real payoff comes for longtime fans, who will especially appreciate a powerful moment featuring the alien General Gau. Scalzi knows just how to satisfy his fans, providing tense, thrilling action scenes while turning a critical eye on the interstellar equivalents of the military-industrial complex.
added by jimroberts | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 6, 2015)

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jay and Mary Vernau, of Jay and Mary's Book Center of Troy, Ohio;

To Alan Beatts and Jude Feldman of Borderlands Books of San Francisco, California;

To Duane Wilkins and Olivia Ohl of University Bookstore, University of Washington;

And to all the booksellers who have shared my work with the readers in their stores.

You are the best. This one is for you, with thanks.
So, I'm supposed to tell you how I became a brain in a box.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible