The End of All Things by John Scalzi

The End of All Things

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (6)

English (22)  German (1)  All (23)
3.5 Stars - an engaging continuation of the 'Old Man's War' sequence. These four pieces of short fiction kick of shortly after the events of 'The Human Division', with the novella 'The Life of the Minds'a standout 'brain in a jar' story making a fine beginning. Rafe Daquin, a down on his luck pilot makes a fateful choice of employment. A promotion to chief pilot turns out to have unattractive consequences...

Within the stories, Scalzi explores themes of maintenance of empire and control, in a populous and fractious galaxy, where freedom and self-determination may carry a real risk of subjugation or extermination by others.

What are the motivations and choices of the leaders of the Conclave, the Colonial Union and Earth, who are pressed from all sides by competing and often irreconcilable demands? ('This Hollow Union')

How do common soldiers cope when their orders to protect the staus quo of empire sees them participating in actions which seem against the interests of those they are tasked to protect? ('can Long Endure').

It is all wrapped up nicely enough in the finale 'To Stand of Fall', which might well be the last we see of this particular series.

Scalzi's light hearted and mildly mocking prose reads and scans well, and the narratives in the individual stories motor along quite satisfactorily. To some extent, the exploits of our heroes are perhaps overly assisted by the stupidity or overconfidence of their enemies, but these faults are minor. Well worth the time to read, especially if you have enjoyed the earlier installments.
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Hardbound collection of stories Scalzi sold individually already, all reinforcing his lefty-fascist tendencies. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Comments on End of All Things #1 – John Scalzi

John has really improved on his Old Man’s War series of novels and short stories. Among these is the End of All Things storylines, written in four volumes, which I like reading on Amazon Kindle e-reader.

Story & Plot:

First off, really like the writing style. Sarcastic, fast-paced. Similar to Andy Weir’s The Martian in terms of style and interest. Kept me going throughout.

Getting hired as a pilot is one thing. But being kidnapped and having your brain transferred to a computer and flying a ship is something else!

The bad guys with a traitor politician (no surprise there) want to get rid of the Colonial Union. With secrets from the senator, this is an easy task. But our hero is a computer programmer as well as a pilot, and devised a way of circumventing the computer controls and makes his escape. But he’s still a brain in a box!

Conclusion: Great short novel, a fun read. Can’t wait for the next one!

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
There is a Star Trek feel to Scalzi's Old Man's War universe that I quite like. Humanity is exploring space, colonizing new worlds, and interacting with alien civilizations. But we're not necessarily the good guys. Actually, in these books, humans are much the same as they are now, with all their flaws and variability intact. And in some ways, also like today, their societies seem close to dysfunctional. This doesn't make the series dystopian, by any means. Humanity has progressed. It has accomplished much. It hasn't collapsed into barbarism. It's just not the utopian Trek vision of humanity, united in purpose, which has finally overcome paranoia, greed, superstition, and prejudice. And it has characters one can relate to. Some are likable. A few show admirable traits. But there are no clear heroes, and even the villains have some redeeming qualities.

The four novellas that comprise The End of All Things provide a chronological tale of the actions of a terrorist organization known as Equilibrium. It seems to have anarchy as its ultimate goal, and it is working cleverly and clandestinely to destabilize both the Conclave (an alien confederation) and the Colonial Union (a heavy-handed interplanetary human federation) by heating up what amounts to their existing cold war. Earth (still not united, and comparatively backward) is also at extreme risk, but to say more about that would require spoilers.

Each of the four novellas is narrated in first person, which may explain why the prose and punctuation often exhibit a considerable amount of creative license. Either that or the editing falls a bit short. I can't say this is the best book of the series, but it's a fine addition to the canon. If you've read and enjoyed the others (as I have), you'll want to read this one. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
The finale of the Old Man's War series(for now at least) I have to say I have not been a fan of the serial nature of the last 2 books, but this one was less a problem then the last, which felt fractured to say the least.

Anyway, as always I like Scalzi writing, but, starting around book 3, and confirmed after reading Redshirts, I found out he can only writes 2 kind of characters. The funny one and the serious one. And if a character is funny, you can bet he's one of the good guy.

Really, you cannot not notice it eventually, all the characters have the same personality. The funny ones all have the exact same type of humor, be them aliens or humans, female or male, they will all make the same kind of joke. so much that it makes it insanely difficult to know who is talking unless they are identified clearly, as they all talk the same way and almost all think alike. John Perry, Harry Wilson, General Gau aide - Sorvalh, Daquin, ambassador Abumwe, soldier Powell and her lieutenant, they all sound alike and act the same way. Worst, if you read Redshirt or The Androids Dream, you will notice the exact same personalities/humor type. His characters also all are the kings and queens of one liner conversations.(if you read any of the books, you know what I mean by that)

Now, I looove Scalzi humor, but he proved over his many books that he just can't write more than 2 type of characters, and I admit I am now tired of it, hence the 3 stars max.

The series focus also changed alot as it went on, and I much preferred the first 2 books to all the rest. It was indeed time to put this series to rest. ( )
  kinwolf | Sep 13, 2016 |
New readers will certainly enjoy the work, but the real payoff comes for longtime fans, who will especially appreciate a powerful moment featuring the alien General Gau. Scalzi knows just how to satisfy his fans, providing tense, thrilling action scenes while turning a critical eye on the interstellar equivalents of the military-industrial complex.
added by jimroberts | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 6, 2015)

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutjen, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jay and Mary Vernau, of Jay and Mary's Book Center of Troy, Ohio;

To Alan Beatts and Jude Feldman of Borderlands Books of San Francisco, California;

To Duane Wilkins and Olivia Ohl of University Bookstore, University of Washington;

And to all the booksellers who have shared my work with the readers in their stores.

You are the best. This one is for you, with thanks.
So, I'm supposed to tell you how I became a brain in a box.

107 wanted3 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,228,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible