The Dirty Little Boy by Margaret Wise Brown

The Dirty Little Boy

by Margaret Wise Brown

Great read for young children. It can be used to teach hygiene as it tells about different kinds of animals and how they bathe. Margaret Wise Brown must like animals because she uses them a lot throughout her books. I think using animals are a fun way to learn because most kids love animals so they will be engaged because its animals taking a bath. I think the children will also like the last page with the nude clean boy. ( )
  Phallan | Mar 9, 2017 |
My little boy picked this up at the library and read through the whole thing all by himself, then put it back with the words: "I did NOT like this book, mommy!" I was curious, so I leafed through it myself, and it's not all bad, however my kid did have a point. It's not great! ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
(easy) A little boy is dirty and asks his mom to give him a bath. The mother is busy with her chores and instructs him to go observe some animals to learn how to get himself clean. After watching and emulating a bird, a pig, a cat and a horse, the poor little boy is dirtier than ever. When the mother sees him , she gives him a bath. Little ones with potty humor will enjoy the picture of the little boy's "shiny hiney" at the end. I know my boys certainly giggled and made over it. The two things you could learn from this book (or at least start dialog on) is personal hygiene and the different ways animals bathe. I have to wonder though, what mother would send her kid out to watch animals bathe and tell him to copy the animals? Go figure, but at least she comes around in the end with smiles, kisses and bubbles! ( )
  derbygirl | Jul 17, 2011 |
I really would not use this book in a classroom read aloud;I think it is ok for maybe 1st graders. Allowing them to see the different ways animals bathe themselves is good but there is not much else to take from this book academically. ( )
  kperk12 | Oct 18, 2009 |
This book would be good for younger children who are learning about hygiene. They book also introduces different animals and talks about how the animals bathe. It has very colorful and large illustrations. It also repeats the animals that he has been to so after a while the children can read along with the teacher.
  sdlucas | Sep 2, 2009 |
One day, a little boy came to his big round mother, and he said: "Mother, I am one dirty little boy."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 189081752X, Hardcover)

From the author of Goodnight Moon, this is the story of a very dirty little boy who tries to clean himself by imitating the bathing habits of animals. However, what works well for a bird, a pig, or a horse only makes a boy dirtier. In rhythmic prose accented by sly wit, this is an ideal read-aloud, illustrated with charming verve.·First published nearly 45 years ago, this classic story is now available as a picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

When a little boy tries to get clean the way different animals do, he only gets dirtier.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,794,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible