The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being:…

The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being: Evolution and the Making of Us

by Alice Roberts

This was a really beautiful book - from its cover, to it's hand illustrations. It felt a bit like slow reading - that I should stop and appreciate it, but that I was in too much of a hurry to find the answers, when it was much more descriptive and non-dogmatic. ( )
  kk1 | Jul 25, 2018 |
For a non-scientist desk flyer like me this was really quite enlightening. Firstly with regard to our physical bodies and why certain things are (such as male voices, for example) and, once again, more scientific evidence about why we humans should stop being so arrogant and act like we're part of a natural system and not something that sits on top of everything else. ( )
  mnorfolk49 | Aug 6, 2017 |
I discontinued this in favor of Your Inner Fish, to be read at a later date. ( )
  Caroline77 | Jul 17, 2016 |
I thought this would be about the probability of life on Earth (and by extension other planets) but it really is just human evolution step-by-step. For probability of life on Earth, you're better off reading The Aliens are Coming by Ben Miller.

You can listen to Brian Cox and Alice Roberts on the Incredible Unlikeliness of Human Existence http://www.intelligencesquared.com/events/brian-cox-and-alice-roberts-on-the-unl..... (audio)
  rakerman | Jul 9, 2016 |
While this was an interesting read it is only getting three stars due to a glaring factual error right at the beginning and quite a few grammatical errors. If this had been a fiction book the factual error would have been irritating but in a non-fiction science book it is seriously annoying. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |

Alice Roberts gives us a new and highly accessible look at our own bodies, allowing us to understand how we develop as an embryo, from a single egg into a complex body, and how our embryos contain echoes of our evolutionary past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible