The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly…

The War That Saved My Life

by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Series: The War That Saved My Life (1)

Ada has spent the first ten years of her life locked in one room, forbidden to go outside by her awful mother due to her club foot. The only thing that keeps Ada going is the love she has for her little brother, Jamie. When World War II approaches children are sent out of London, to stay with families they don't know, for their safety. The morning Jamie leaves, Ada sneaks off with him. They arrive in Kent but are the last children left standing at the train station, with no one to take them in due to their neglected appearance. That is when they are taken to Susan. At first Susan does not want the children. She is mourning the loss of her "friend" and does not want the responsibility of caring for them. Little do they know Susan is the best thing that has ever happened to them. The explicit theme in this story is war. The war that is going on around them but also the war that Ada is fighting within herself as she learns to accept love and love herself. Some implicit themes are love and family. The story shows how much love can change a person and the importance of family, even if that family is not someone who is related by blood. This was my favorite novel so far this semester, it was hard to put down. Will Ada ever get her foot fixed? Does Mam come to take them away? Will Susan be able to keep them safe from the war? This was a great read. ( )
  csheldon | Sep 13, 2018 |
As soon as I started reading this book, it was really hard to put it down. It literally had me talking out loud in anger and wanting to throw it out the window when Mam was trying to take the kids back! Thankfully, I had the self control not to and felt so satisfied at the end of the book. It was a beautiful story about the struggle of not only being in the middle of a world war, but also a war within families itself. It was bout love, self worth, perseverance, freedom... I'm sure that Bradley tugged many heartstrings seeing this young girl go from feeling so worthless and torn down to actually standing up for herself and finding the love that she deserved from the moment she was born. ( )
  frmarr | Sep 13, 2018 |
This book immediately grasped my attention from page 2. I was hooked in an instant. This is a book about a nine year old girl Ada Smith. Ada was born with a clubbed foot. She faces many adversities from child abuse from her mother to handling her own disability, to finding herself. This book takes place in and around London during WWII. Ada and her brother manage to escape their abusive home and stay with a lonely old lady, Miss Smith, who teaches Ada and her brother, Jamie about real love and acceptance. The book has a multitude of underlying ideas and main concepts through out. It is a very emotional book, and does a great job of eliciting emotion from the reader, as it made me shed some tears a number of times. Ada and Jamie come to learn the true meaning of family, and that their previous living situation with their mother is not the way life is supposed to be. Although there are many main ideas that circulate throughout the book, my take on theme would have to be that acceptance within one self and from others is a growing and learning process that is made easier when you're surrounded by people who love and care for you. ( )
  kgautier | Sep 13, 2018 |
"The War the Saved My Life" By Kimberly Brubaker Bradley chronicles the experience of a young British girl named Ava who is living with her mother and brother during World War II. After the death of Ada's father, her mother became the primary caregiver and often abused the children. Ada was one day shipped off to the country to live with another woman who treated her with the kindness and love that her mother did not afford her. Ada struggles to find her own self worth and eventually realizes that her childhood with her birth mother was not what she deserved. The coming of age novel is a great read for and 5th grade and up. The theme of this book is self worth and will teach any child who reads it's pages that they are worthy of love despite what other may think of them. ( )
  india_paige | Sep 13, 2018 |
The War That Saved My Life is by far my favorite novel I've read in this class. I feel as if the theme would be to have hope. Ada, a nine-year-old with a clubfoot was raised to think she wasn't beautiful and good enough for the world. Her mam was embarrassed because she was a "cripple." Throughout the novel, Ava struggled externally; her clubfoot made it hard for her to walk, she was always in pain, and she was punished for it by her mother. Once she and her brother, Jamie, evacuated out of London she began to struggle internally; She never thought she was good enough to learn to read and to wear a beautiful dress like the one Miss Smith made her. Ada was in a way at "war" with herself. Throughout the book, Ada would notice how much Miss Smith would do to protect her and Jamie; she did more than her mother has ever done. Ada struggled to believe that anyone could love her if her mam didn't love her, How could someone, who's not family like miss Smith love her? ( )
  nomerbasic | Sep 13, 2018 |

Kimberly Brubaker Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ada! Get back from that window! Mam's voice, shouting.

An exceptionally moving story of triumph against all odds set during World War 2, from the acclaimed author of Jefferson’s Sons and for fans of Number the Stars.

Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—she sneaks out to join him.

So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan—and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?

This masterful work of historical fiction is equal parts adventure and a moving tale of family and identity—a classic in the making.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:57 -0400)

A young disabled girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible