Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly…

The War That Saved My Life

by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Series: The War That Saved My Life (1)

1,3271978,811 (4.57)122

Ada is a disabled ten year old who was responsible for raising her brother, since her mother worked nights and slept morning. But her brother, Jamie, was a normal active boy that got to play outside and go to school. A war approaching, Jamie gets to leave and Ada finds a way to go with him. A lady named, Susan Smith, is forced to care for them and tries to find out information about the children. Susan goes through some depression moments due to her best friend Rebecca's death more than 3 years ago. Since the children are not longer sheltered in their flat, they learn new words and see things they never saw before and learned how to use things like a toilet.
I listened to the audio book. I liked when Ada realized she too wanted to get out the house like her brother and be able to walk and to go to school. She was determined for greater things than her disability and letting someone lesser her future. ( )
  yy2teach | Feb 17, 2019 |
This book had me captivated from the very first page and I did not put it down until I got to the end. When 10 year old Ada escapes London with her younger brother, Jamie, she is not only escaping a war but also her abusive mother who never let her leave their small home because of her clubfoot. After Ada and Jamie are taken in by a woman named Susan Smith, their lives are changed for good. Throughout this whole story, I felt as if I was there with Ada; learning to ride horses, learning to sew, letting herself finally be cared for instead of caring for others. Ada's resilience, strength and perseverance show how the war saved her life.
I would read this book again and again, as well as recommend it to anyone. ( )
  tejennin | Feb 17, 2019 |
Ten-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—she sneaks out to join him.So begins a new adventure for Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan—and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?
  jhennessy627 | Jan 29, 2019 |
While still reading, I reserved the sequel and intend to read it soon. I was emotionally invested in this story and its many characters.

This is a brilliantly done middle grade novel. It’s a page turner! It is an extremely well deserved Newbery Honor book. I’d have been happy had it won the Newbery Award.

Ada is a great character! She’s smart and resourceful and brave and caring and loyal and observant, and inspiring. She’s also been horribly traumatized and is dealing with the ramifications of her experiences and her situation. It’s a pleasure to watch her progress.

I love Susan Smith! I might even like her better than I like Ada. She’s a natural therapist, a wonderful (foster) mother, and she is also dealing with past losses. I appreciated how her grief over her housemate and best friend Becky’s death is described but while it was obvious to me as an adult reader and might be to today’s children (but not to children when I was a child) that those two had a sexual relationship, that Susan is a lesbian, but because nothing sexual about the relationship is delved into, it’s not the focus at all, and is conveyed in a way that will go over many readers’ heads, and that’s fine. Because even though this story is about Susan and about Ada’s brother Jamie, and about quite a few other interesting characters, primarily this is Ada’s story.

I also loved the cat character and the pony character. I was worried for a while that I wouldn’t like the way the pony was treated, but it ended up okay for me. (Even though I’m an outlier and like it when dogs and cats and horses are treated as friends and not used in any way. Of course here, riding the pony was not for financial gain at all. As far as other owners & horses included in the story, they’re not a main part of the plot, and I was also very aware of the sensibilities of this time and place.)

Ada’s and Jamie’s mother was horrible, yet believable. I thoroughly enjoyed how things ended regarding her and her children.

This was also an excellent historical fiction story. It touched on WWII including the Blitz and the bombings in Kent, the area of England closest to the fight on the continent. My heart sank when the airfield was constructed where it was.

This is a fine book for ages 9 and all the way up. It does get intense at times around issues of war and child abuse, issues of abandonment and neglect, but I think it manages to stay a solid middle grade novel that can also be enjoyed by adults and teens. The two main children go from age 10 to 11 and from age 6 to 7.

Highly recommended for fans of books that include: historical fiction, coming of age novels, foster care, child abuse, physical disability, childhood trauma, cats, horses, country living/small town living, issues of poverty, WWII English history, books that show characters overcoming obstacles, and stories about characters caring for one another in various ways.

This will be enjoyed by independent readers but it would also make a great read aloud book parent or older child to one or more children and also for teachers/classrooms and other group settings. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jan 25, 2019 |
Loved this little girl's tenacity. She never let her mother crush her spirit. One Sunshine State book down. 14 to go. 😊 ( )
1 vote loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |

Kimberly Brubaker Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ada! Get back from that window! Mam's voice, shouting.

An exceptionally moving story of triumph against all odds set during World War 2, from the acclaimed author of Jefferson’s Sons and for fans of Number the Stars.

Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—she sneaks out to join him.

So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan—and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?

This masterful work of historical fiction is equal parts adventure and a moving tale of family and identity—a classic in the making.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:57 -0400)

A young disabled girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,495,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible