Girls Hold Up This World by Jada…

Girls Hold Up This World

by Jada Pinkett-Smith

Beautiful photographs fill this book about how girls are strong and all different. I like the real photograph this book has. I would use this wiht K-4th grades. I would use it with the theme of self.
  1212bec | Oct 3, 2012 |
Pinkett Smith pens a poem dedicated to the beauty and strength of women and young girls. Photographs of females of all ages, race and ethnic backgrounds are included. Pinkett Smith is also featured with her daughter. The book speaks to why it's special to be girl and the bond of sisterhood we share with each other A girl of any age will enjoy reading this book. ( )
  scoutlee | Feb 19, 2012 |
Jada Pinkett-Smith writes about how girls make up the world and why girls are so special on the inside and out. ( )
  mdrumgold | Jan 27, 2012 |
read Jada Pinkett Smith's Girls Hold Up This World, years ago, and I thought that it was a very powerful, affirming book for young girls. I vowed that if I ever had a little girl, this would be required reading.

Fast forward a few years, and I finally got the chance to share Girls Hold Up This World with my three year old daughter. She thoroughly enjoyed it, but her favorite part was when I explained that the little girl on the cover was same girl that sings her favorite song, "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth."

While some of the affirming messages of self love and acceptance, were lost on my three year old, she loved seeing pictures of different little girls. Just seeing positive images of girls, many of which were of color, opened up a dialogue between the two of us about all the great things that girls can do and dream and be. This book helped me to explain to my daughter that being a girl doesn't look like one particular thing. We are all different, we are all valuable, we are all beautiful, and we all "hold up this world."
  gypsyreads | Nov 18, 2010 |
The book is something special. This book is good. It's about girls. Girls are kissing, dancing, playing basketball, eating.
  MyNat | Jun 18, 2008 |

Actress Jada Pinkett Smith--wife of superstar Will Smith--lovingly captures the strength, unity, and beauty that live in girls in this poignant photographic book.

"We are sisters of this Earth -- members of one powerful tribe. /Every color, shape, and size, we're united by beauty inside." Artistic photographs enhance the positive message of Jada Pinkett Smith's inspiring poem. A renowned actress and loving mother, Smith brings warmth and heart to this celebration of young women. While so many girls today struggle with self-doubt, this poem focuses on the power ALL girls have within them, regardless of color or creed. This is the perfect book for mothers, daughters, sisters and friends to give and to share again and again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:23 -0400)

Relates how girls are unique individuals, possessing self-esteem and discipline, and able to work with other girls to make the world a better place.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible