Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn (2006)

by Donald Spoto

A portrait of the acclaimed actress follows Audrey Hepburn from her youth in Nazi-occupied Europe, through her rise to stardom in some of the era's most popular films, to her dedication to UNICEF.

kristi_test_02 | Jun 16, 2020 |
  kristi_test_02 | Jun 16, 2020 |
Her name is synonymous with elegance, style, and grace. Over the course of her extraordinary life and career, Audrey Hepburn captured hearts around the world and created a public image that stands as one of the most recognizable and beloved in recent memory. But despite her international fame and her tireless efforts on behalf of UNICEF, Audrey was also known for her intense privacy. With unprecedented access to studio archives, friends, and colleagues who knew and loved her, best-selling author Donald Spoto provides an intimate and moving account of this beautiful, elusive, and talented woman.

Tracing her astonishing rise to stardom, from her harrowing childhood in Nazi-controlled Holland during World War II to her years as a struggling ballet dancer in London and her Tony Award-winning Broadway debut in Gigi, Spoto illuminates the origins of Audrey's tenacious spirit and fiercely passionate nature.
  Gmomaj | Oct 9, 2019 |
Biography obviously pulled together from scraps of info out there in various public media. A Kitty Kelley without the vicious slant. So Three stars for the uninspired writing efforts.

But the subject matter truly is so very enchanting and much more -- an iron butterfly. The most unique "movie star" I think we will ever see. One is left with her UNICEF years, which are so hard to read about, never mind live through. If "Goddess" weren't such a shopworn term; she, amongst very few women (and probably no movie stars) would deserve the appellation.

Then my little whimsical wish: she has always been the one I most wanted to to look like, had I the choice. Darling, darling Audrey. ( )
  c_why | Apr 27, 2016 |
For fans, this is a great book. Good film analysis and comparisons between her life and the lives she portrayed. ( )
  michcall | Aug 30, 2008 |
for Ole Flemming Larsen
There had been bright sunshine when they left the English shore, but midway across the Channel, dark clouds swept overhead, and the wind had shifted from breezy to almost gale force.
"I liked the children and the teachers, but I never liked the process of learning in a classroom." (17)
"My real name was never Edda van Heemstra.  That was a name I assumed in school, because my mother thought it wiser during the German occupation, as mine sounded too English." (21)
"It's because I have no mother tongue that the critics accuse me of curious speech." (21)
Instead of high key lighting to glamorize her, there were only the lineaments of her own inner self: she created a compelling portrait of spiritual anguish and maturing integrity, and this she accomplished with only her eyes and the subtlest gradiations of expression; almost everything was internal. (179)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,854,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible