City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology by…

City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology

by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

207556,585 (3.57)2

99% pure crap with 1% inspiration. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 10, 2014 |
Great selection of really good poets. Maybe less Kerouac and more Ferlinghetti would be better but that's just my taste. A great place to jump into poets from the 50s (and earlier) to the 90s. ( )
  Richj | Jun 11, 2014 |
Granted, this probably gets an extra star on account of added sentimental value, but still: A magnificent reader from City Lights. ( )
  cschack | Oct 5, 2009 |
Great little anthology of poems by Ferlinghettis friends. Bought it at his book store, City Lights, in San Francisco. The book store is a a must see if you visit there. ( )
  GypsyJon | Jun 7, 2008 |
I think this book is quite a bit overrated. People speak about this book gushing with sappiness. I guess I should make it clear at this point that I'm not really a big fan of this style of poetry. I think beatnik prose can be pretty good and pretty poetic, but I tend to be a little leary about beatnik literature that is explicitly poetry. Make no mistake about it, there is some good material in here, including some of Mr. Ferlinghetti's stuff and some of Kerouac's and Ginsberg's typical stuff. However, overall, I wouldn't say I'm too impressed. ( )
  markusnenadovus | Dec 15, 2007 |
Even though some say that an avante-garde in literature no longer exists, the smaller independent publisher is itself still a true avant-garde, its place still out there, scouting the unknown.

"This comprehensive selection from the influential City Lights Pocket Poets Series is a landmark retrospective, celebrating forty years of publishing and cultural history.

From the introduction by Lawrence Ferlinghetti:
“Even though some say that an avant-garde in literature no longer exists, the smaller independent publisher is itself still a true avant-garde, its place still out there, scouting the unknown . . . From the beginning, the aim was to publish across the board, avoiding the provincial and the academic . . . I had in mind rather an international, dissident, insurgent ferment . . .”

Includes poetry by:
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Kenneth Rexroth, Kenneth Patchen, Allen Ginsberg, Marie Ponsot, Denise Levertov, Gregory Corso, Jacques Prévert, Robert Duncan, Jerome Rothenberg, Nicanor Parra, Robert Nichols, Anselm Hollo, Malcolm Lowry, Frank O’Hara, Philip Lamantia, Bob Kaufman, Janine Pommy-Vega, Charles Upton, Pablo Picasso, Robert Bly, Diane di Prima, Jack Kerouac, Andrei Voznesensky, Pete Winslow, Harold Norse, Anne Waldman, Jack Hirschman, Stefan Brect, Peter Orlovsky, Antler, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Ernesto Cardenal, Antonio Porta, Adam Cornford, La Loca, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Daisy Zamora, Rosario Murillo, and Alberto Blanco.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:47 -0400)

A who's who of post-World War II American modernism, the poetry of the 1950s and 1960s avant-garde.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible