In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson…

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

by Bette Bao Lord

I first learned of this book in a roundabout sort of way. There was a banner in my library with children's book illustrations on it, and I could identify all the images except two. After some detective work on the BookCrossing forum, I learned that the image came from this book. A kind BookCrosser even sent me a copy, but it took me a while to read it.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, nor am I an immigrant. But I could still relate to this character's feelings of being an outsider and needing something to be excited about. It was wonderful watching Shirley Temple Wong adapt to a completely new culture and way of doing things, learn English, make friends, create new opportunities for her parents, find her place at school, and fall in love with baseball and the spectacular rookie Jackie Robinson. When she gets to meet him at the end of the year, I was thrilled. The idea of race and culture is dealt with so easily and honestly in this book from a kid's perspective. And when Jackie Robinson tells her that one day a woman would be president, I shed a few tears.

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge: A book set around a holiday other than Christmas ( )
  katekintail | Jun 3, 2017 |
Summary:
Shirley Temple Wong travels to her new home in Brooklyn. Even though she speaks very little English, Shirley is amazed at how many different cultures there are in America. She begins school knowing no one but when she joins a baseball team that all changes. She learns that in America it really is the land of opportunity.

Personal Reaction:
This was a wonderful book, allowing me to see our country through an immigrants eyes. It was interesting how the great American pass time showed her the good things that America has to offer.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have a small party with food that would be served at a baseball game.
2. Make Chinese dragons with paper plates, egg cartons, streamers, glue, feathers, paint and paint brushes.
  coralea | Mar 26, 2017 |
GR: S
GL: 3.8
DRA: 40
Lexile: 730L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
I would use this book in a fifth grade classroom and up. I would use this boo at these grade levels because of the reding level of the text. I also think students at these grade levels will find this book relatable because they are at the age where they are trying to fit in with their peers like the main character. this is also a great book to use to connect social studies to English. I would use this book as an oprion for an independent reading book. ( )
  LRetzlaff | Apr 27, 2016 |
Summary:The books main character is Shirley Timple Wong, who just recently moved to the united states from china. While trying to adapt to American culture, he Chinese culture and traditions are still being practiced at home. While she is still struggling at the new culture she has been introduced to she meets her American hero Jackie Robinson.

Personal reaction: I was first read this story while i was in the 4th grade. I loved it. It was a story i could relate to because Shirley was very optimistic. I looked at her character as a role model. I know how it feels to try to adapt to a new culture and this book explains it very well.

Classroom extensions:1) trading cards- each student will be presented index cards and on the cards they will put a picture and bios of the characters that were in the story. When you have the end product, they could use the cards to retail the stories.
2) the students will make their own Chinese calendar. while they make their calender, they would be learning what each animal represents on the calendar. ( )
  pambam_11 | Oct 8, 2014 |

Bette Bao Lordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Shirley Temple Wong sails from China to America with a heart full of dreams.Her new home is Brooklyn, New York. America is indeed a land full of wonders, but Shirley doesn't know any English, so it's hard to make friends. Then a miracle-baseball-happens. It is 1947, and Jackie Robinson, star of the Brooklyn Dodgers, is everyone's hero. Jackie Robinson is proving that a black man, the grandson of a slave, can make a difference in America and for Shirley as well, on the ball field and off, America becomes the land of opportunity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:09 -0400)

In 1947, a Chinese child comes to Brooklyn where she becomes Americanized at school, in her apartment building, and by her love for baseball.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,238,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible