In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson…

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

by Bette Bao Lord

Shirley Temple Wong adapt to a completely new culture and way of doing things, learn English, make friends, create new opportunities for her parents, find her place at school, and fall in love with baseball and the spectacular rookie Jackie Robinson. I would have this book because, it shows diversity and acceptance.
  pitaaortiz | Nov 26, 2018 |
A cute read! A little girl from China tries to learn about life in her new country, the United States, while keeping the traditions and memories of her old country, in the year of the Boar, 1947. It’s a good story! My issue with the book was that I was expecting more about Jackie Robinson, based on the title. He’s in here, but as just a part of Shirley Temple Wong’s new life. I wanted more! But if you’re looking for a good story about being in a new country, this will do! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 10, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 22, 2017 |
I first learned of this book in a roundabout sort of way. There was a banner in my library with children's book illustrations on it, and I could identify all the images except two. After some detective work on the BookCrossing forum, I learned that the image came from this book. A kind BookCrosser even sent me a copy, but it took me a while to read it.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, nor am I an immigrant. But I could still relate to this character's feelings of being an outsider and needing something to be excited about. It was wonderful watching Shirley Temple Wong adapt to a completely new culture and way of doing things, learn English, make friends, create new opportunities for her parents, find her place at school, and fall in love with baseball and the spectacular rookie Jackie Robinson. When she gets to meet him at the end of the year, I was thrilled. The idea of race and culture is dealt with so easily and honestly in this book from a kid's perspective. And when Jackie Robinson tells her that one day a woman would be president, I shed a few tears.

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge: A book set around a holiday other than Christmas ( )
1 vote katekintail | Jun 3, 2017 |
Summary:
Shirley Temple Wong travels to her new home in Brooklyn. Even though she speaks very little English, Shirley is amazed at how many different cultures there are in America. She begins school knowing no one but when she joins a baseball team that all changes. She learns that in America it really is the land of opportunity.

Personal Reaction:
This was a wonderful book, allowing me to see our country through an immigrants eyes. It was interesting how the great American pass time showed her the good things that America has to offer.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have a small party with food that would be served at a baseball game.
2. Make Chinese dragons with paper plates, egg cartons, streamers, glue, feathers, paint and paint brushes.
  coralea | Mar 26, 2017 |

Bette Bao Lordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Shirley Temple Wong sails from China to America with a heart full of dreams.Her new home is Brooklyn, New York. America is indeed a land full of wonders, but Shirley doesn't know any English, so it's hard to make friends. Then a miracle-baseball-happens. It is 1947, and Jackie Robinson, star of the Brooklyn Dodgers, is everyone's hero. Jackie Robinson is proving that a black man, the grandson of a slave, can make a difference in America and for Shirley as well, on the ball field and off, America becomes the land of opportunity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:09 -0400)

In 1947, a Chinese child comes to Brooklyn where she becomes Americanized at school, in her apartment building, and by her love for baseball.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible