China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

China Rich Girlfriend

by Kevin Kwan

Series: Crazy Rich Asians (2)

I liked it better than the first one. It benefited from more focus on characters that aren't Rachel and Nick, and Rachel's storyline had more depth to it this time around too. Escapism and craziness with some fun little jokes thrown in too. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
2nd snarky book in a trilogy, lots of fun to read on a hot smokey day. Same Singapore group with new twists. Rachel and Nick's relationship is strong and the Singapore group is beginning to recognize that she is more than an ABC (Chinese born American) she has a well placed father in Beijing. The money just keeps rolling around. Oh to be rich but not like these people. New plot twist is Collette, an Internet fashionista and trend setter. She has to take a picture every hour of her doings to satisfy her 5 million Chinese followers. Crazy Rich Chinese! ( )
  bblum | Aug 7, 2018 |
Another good weekend read. This installment in the Crazy Rich Asians series had some hilarious laugh-out-loud moments. The jaw drops repeatedly as you read the lengths these characters will go to achieve their own ends with absolutely no regard for anyone else. All our favorites are back: Nick, Rachel, Astrid, etc. Along with some ones that both repulse and endear. This is a fun series to read between more serious books. Sort of a palate cleanser, if you will. ( )
  briandrewz | Jul 27, 2018 |
Compulsively readable, despite the fact that every single character in it (with the exception of the two children under six) are so obnoxious and/or unbelievable that you'd be sorely tempted to drop-kick them off one of the skyscrapers they talk so much about.

I mean, I'm going to read the third book in the trilogy but I don't know that I'm going to be happy about it. ( )
  siriaeve | Jun 10, 2018 |
Best for: People who enjoyed the first in this series (Crazy Rich Asians)

In a nutshell: We follow many of the original characters — and a few new ones — in this second book in the trilogy.

Worth quoting: N/A

Why I chose it:
I bought this at the same time as I bought China Rich Girlfriend because I figured I was going to like that and would want to start the sequel immediately.

Review: (Spoilers below)
I feel like I’m reading an amazing soap-opera, and I continue to thoroughly enjoy it. Yes, it’s all over-the-top and ridiculous. Yes, some of the characters are horrible and unlikeable, but I appreciate how many of them are changing over the course of the two novels.

Before I get too far into this review, I want to say how much I appreciated that Mr. Kwan played around a little with the formatting of the chapters this go round. We still get different point of view chapters, but we also have some chapters that consists solely of emails, or diary entries, or text messages. One is even the instructions offered by a super-fancy life coach (I’m sure she’d cringe at that description of her role, but eh, that’s what she is in my view) to someone who is desperate to be accepted.

Okay, so the content of the book. As I said above, I like the evolution of the different characters. We see some parents taking dramatic steps related to their children. We see some formerly humble folks turn into nightmares, and some nightmares humble themselves. Estrangements still exist in some areas, but in others they get resolved.

From a storytelling perspective, I appreciate that the will they / won’t they of Nick and Rachel is handled quickly, and their wedding happens in the first third of the book. I also enjoyed most of the handling of Rachel’s relationship with her father and brother. I do think Rachel could bee built out more, but at the same time, it’s nice to have a character who isn’t completely beyond reasonableness. She is an economics professor; she’s a smart woman who doesn’t seem interested in drama. While I LOVE reading about drama, I wouldn’t enjoy it happening to me, so I like that she mostly rolls with things, and then occasionally, when appropriate, says exactly what needs to be said, regardless of the ‘appropriateness’ of it from the perspective of many of these extremely rich families.

Like I said, I’m still enjoying these books. I read the last few pages of this one while on the bus to pick up the final one, and I started it as soon as I walked out of the book shop. I’ll go back to my dense non-fiction books next week, but for now I’m loving spending some time in this world. ( )
  ASKelmore | Apr 27, 2018 |

Kevin Kwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wong, JoanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brothers and my cousins.
“Wait a minute—I’m in first class. Take me to first class,” Edison Cheng said contemptuously to the flight attendant escorting him to his seat.

Kevin Kwan, bestselling author of Crazy Rich Asians, is back with a wickedly funny new novel of social climbing, secret e-mails, art-world scandal, lovesick billionaires, and the outrageous story of what happens when Rachel Chu, engaged to marry Asia's most eligible bachelor, discovers her birthfather.

On the eve of her wedding to Nicholas Young, heir to one of the greatest fortunes in Asia, Rachel should be over the moon. She has a flawless Asscher-cut diamond from JAR, a wedding dress she loves more than anything found in the salons of Paris, and a fiancé willing to sacrifice his entire inheritance in order to marry her. But Rachel still mourns the fact that her birthfather, a man she never knew, won't be able to walk her down the aisle. Until: a shocking revelation draws Rachel into a world of Shanghai splendor beyond anything she has ever imagined. Here we meet Carlton, a Ferrari-crashing bad boy known for Prince Harry-like antics; Colette, a celebrity girlfriend chased by fevered paparazzi; and the man Rachel has spent her entire life waiting to meet: her father. Meanwhile, Singapore's It Girl, Astrid Leong, is shocked to discover that there is a downside to having a newly minted tech billionaire husband. A romp through Asia's most exclusive clubs, auction houses, and estates, China Rich Girlfriend brings us into the elite circles of Mainland China, introducing a captivating cast of characters, and offering an inside glimpse at what it's like to be gloriously, crazily, China-rich.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

"Kevin Kwan, ... author of Crazy Rich Asians, is back with a ... new novel of social climbing, secret e-mails, art-world scandal, lovesick billionaires, and the outrageous story of what happens when Rachel Chu, engaged to marry Asia's most eligible bachelor, discovers her birthfather"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,002,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible