Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop…

Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop (edition 2015)

by Matt Fraction (Author), Chip Zdarsky (Illustrator)

Member:hejmarguerite
Title:Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop
Authors:Matt Fraction (Author)
Other authors:Chip Zdarsky (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2015), 128 pages
Tags:to-read

Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop by Matt Fraction

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Gosh this went from "joyfully hilarious and kind of sexy" to both of those things AND really grappling with serious stuff of relationships and trauma and mental health. I really, really liked this volume, and am so glad that I have the third volume already waiting for me so I don't have to wait to get more of this story. ( )
  aijmiller | Aug 9, 2018 |
I would say I like this book a bit better than the first. Maybe because the characters are better develop or because I already have a background. No matter the reason I do enjoy this book a lot. The storyline is more interesting, it present the new characters and backgrounds and it end in a cliffhanger more interesting that the previous one. Looking forward to the new book, but I think it will not come out till next year. The graphics also look better than the previous ones. ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
In the previous comic we learned that Suzie worked at a library that needed money to stay open or the bank would foreclose on it and turn it into a parking lot. At a book saving party she meets Jon, someone who is just like her, a person who when they have an orgasm time stops and they are able to walk around and do things during this time that she calls the Quiet Place and he calls Cumworld. Jon works at the bank that is foreclosing on the library and he gets the idea to rob that bank to pay off the library's debt. They are able to steal most of the money, but they run into the Sex Police, a group of unofficial people who police people like them.

So, they only owe $12,000 and the bank gave them sixty days to come up with the money. Suzie is planning a fundraiser. The two of them aren't having sex because they're afraid of the Sex Police. Though, eventually, they will masturbate. They find a device that the Sex Police use to track them with when they're in the Quiet Place. Things are tense between them and Jon's mental illnesses are coming into play especially since he stopped taking his meds.

Suzie runs into Rachael her old roommate that she left to move in with Jon and the two make up as Suzie explains to her about the Quiet Place and the Sex Police. When Suzie goes to her gynecologist appointment her regular doctor is away and she gets Dr. Robert Rainbow, a young handsome doctor that she asks out to coffee.

Jon's new therapist tells him to exercise every day and to get a new friend and when he goes out jogging he runs into Suzie meeting up with Robert who turns out to be his old friend from childhood. Big coincidence? Hell yeah. Even bigger one is that Rachael shows up just then and things become more comfortable and Robert and Rachael hit it off.

Things don't look so good for the library and Jon gets really mad and does something drastic. He steals from one of the Sex Police's house. They intend to go to war against the Sex Police. This book explores Jon's mental illness and his childhood a bit and Jon's feelings toward Suzie. It's great seeing Rachael again. She's such a tough-as-nails, sarcastic character and to pair her up with the sweet quiet Robert is just great. She brings him to life. And seeing that Jon and Suzie are having trouble in their relationship is great as it would be expected after what they went through. As before, the art for the Quiet Place is just plain gorgeous to look at. It's magical as it's meant to be. This comic is growing and becoming more interesting the further along I go. I really can't wait to read the next one as this one left off on a cliffhanger. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jun 25, 2018 |
I gave it another chance. Personally, I think it's terrible. Barely any plot. Don't care about the characters. I have more interest in the sex police. Like what is their business and history? Kegelface is the only character that matters. Like you have a character that I would cast Tilda Swindon to play but instead you are focusing on characters that are like, Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber. Can I get Sex Police instead of Sex Criminals? I would rather read that instead of Mr. Office Plant Pooper and Ms. My Bangs Have More Personality Than I Do. I just get nothing from this book. Bored.

I probably just read way too much yaoi and slash online to get very tickled by this, sorry. I blame tumblr for my desensitization to drawn sexual acts. But then again, this isn't meant to be erotic, is it? So really my disappointment is that this is just one of those bland earnest twentyishsomething contemporary relationship dramas, just with a dash of explicit sex and superpower bits to jazz it up a teeeeeeeeny bit. But I do not find it jazzed. it is still like 85% people navigating romantic relationships and talking about their love woes. Eh. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
The first volume had a lot of introduction and world-building to do, but now we get to see what kind of a story this is going to really be. On one level, it's a two underdogs against the world crime story. On another level, it's a weirdest-superpower-ever superhero origin story. I think on the most interesting level, it's a story that continues to explore the incredible variety of human sexual experience, and what secrecy and shame does to all of that. Plus, we get the back story on Jazmine St. Cocaine, Jon's sexual icon, who Suzie mocked in Volume One.

Highly recommended to all sex-positive hipsters and intellectuals. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Matt Fractionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zdarsky, ChipIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Chip's mom and dad
And making my Chipper
He is my everything
Matt

To mommy and daddy.
I got my above-average peener
size from daddy, my insatiable
sexual curiosity from mommy, and
my innate sense of right and
wrong from both. See you at
Thanksgiving
Chip
So we ran like hell and didn't look back.

"The second storyline from the Eisner-award winning Sex criminals finds the honeymoon to be over for Jon and Suzie. Once the thrill of new lust fades, where do you go? Come along and laff and love with Matt and Chip as they brimp back ceaselessly against the past"--Summary from forbiddenplanet.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible