Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing From…

Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing From America's Favorite Humorist (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Erma Bombeck

Member:BLehner
Title:Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing From America's Favorite Humorist
Authors:Erma Bombeck
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (1997), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 273 pages
Rating:*****

Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing from America's Favorite Humorist by Erma Bombeck (1996)

23 (1) 30/2 (1) advice (2) animal behavior (1) anthology (2) biography (5) collection (3) donate (1) Erma Bombeck (4) essay (1) essays (16) family (4) fiction (2) funny (2) hardcover (6) Heather (1) housewives (4) humor (69) lp (1) memoir (11) nbj (1) non-fiction (19) own (2) permanent library (1) read (3) sentimental (2) Shelf 5 (1) social studies (1) unread (2) women (5)

I never tire of Bombeck's wit and wisdom. When I am tired or frustrated as a parent or wife I can read one of her stories and get a great chuckle. Her stores are so down to earth and "real" they make me feel a part of something great and wonderful as a homemaker. They allow me to step back and laugh at the messiness of life. Thank you Erma! ( )
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
This is a selection of Erma Bombecks most-loved and most requested articles, selected after her death and with a selection of Tributes after the articles, all of which are heartwarming. Yes some things other than humour creep in but she' s a great character with a fun attitude to life. Beside the humour is a lot of truth and maybe that's why she continues to be fresh, while some of the details may be a little dated.

It would be hard to pick any one that particularly stands out but now that it's coming up to christmas I really empathise with her husband present buying issues. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 2, 2009 |
From book jacket
a treasury of her best-loved and most requested columns. ( )
  amyseerey | Mar 18, 2007 |
My deeds will be measured not by my youthful appearance, but by the concern lines on my forehead, the laugh lines around my mouth, and the chins from seeing what can be done for those smaller than me or who have fallen.

April 17, 1996 (From Erma Bombeck's last column)
Once...just once...I'd like to be dressed for an emergency.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0836226844, Hardcover)

Erma Bombeck occupied a seat of honor in the homes of millions of Americans. Hers was inevitably the column you read aloud at the breakfast table, the piece you tore out on the bus to send to your mother, or the clipping you stuck on the fridge as a chuckling reminder of our modern lives' sublime ridiculousness. Bombeck had an eye for our common experience and a knack for throwing it into touching relief; we laughed because we saw ourselves in her work. She died last April, and this collection--the profits of which benefit her favorite charities--pulls together some of her best loved columns. The columns span Bombeck's career and the book includes tributes delivered at her memorial service.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:48 -0400)

When Erma Bombeck died this spring, she left a legacy that few writers could hope to achieve- more than 4,500 columns and twelve best-selling books that deeply touched millions of readers and fans.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,231,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible