Watership Down by Richard Adams

Watership Down (1972)

by Richard Adams

Other authors: Ralph Cosham (Narrator)

Series: Watership Down (1)

15,732288113 (4.23)3 / 617
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    The Bees by Laline Paull (unlucky)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)

1970s (2)
Unread books (1,672)

English (276)  Italian (3)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (288)
This is one of those books I've been meaning to read for a long, long time and finally got round to it. A complex allegory full of adventure, echoing many classical and religious themes as well as contemporary social issues. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I'm going to really go against the grain here. I don't get it! My opinion, most of the time, seems to rank right along with what the general consensus is, with one important exception (and I should really take a clue already): classics. I would rather eat eyeballs than read long, boring stories, which is pretty much what most classics are. I appreciated the way the author could make the scenes come alive in the reader's mind--he seemed to really have a way with bringing the story to life--but I just didn't care about the story.

KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book was read to our class by my fourth grade teacher, and I had such fond memories that I was afraid to go near it again. I did finally begin reading it to my son recently, and was soon racing to the finish on my own. It is just that good, then and now. Richard Adams captured an animal's perspective in a manner that I think stands as the model for all time and against which many, many others pale. There's of course some personification that stretches credibility, but these rabbits don't wear clothes or smoke pipes, etc. They live as real rabbits do. The author built a world around them that coincides with the world we know, but drawn from the rabbits' perspective in a most convincing way that feels more immediate than artificial. For added depth he grants them a mythology, and these myths alone are worth the cost of admission, a key ingredient that hung in my memory and lived up to it again. The rabbits are as well drawn as human characters and their lives become yours, for the space of time that you spend between the covers. The threats they face are real, and there is often violence to contend with; this is no gentle pastoral that a teenage boy could sneer at. It's a novel that commands respect. To top it all, it has one of the best endings ever written. I knew precisely what was coming and it still got to me again even so (perhaps even more so, with the years behind me), the kind you have to pause over afterwards before starting another. Read it and read it again. ( )
1 vote Cecrow | Apr 27, 2015 |
One of my favorite books of all time. ( )
  gregoryfunaro | Apr 22, 2015 |
Epic warrior & political story. This subject matter/ genre never was and never will be my cup-of-tea. Nonetheless, I was captivated and impressed by this story - and someday I do want to treat myself and read this again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

5 1936

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,253,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible