Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Watership Down (1972)

by Richard Adams

Series: Watership Down (1)

18,936373120 (4.22)3 / 755
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn, questionablepotato)
    Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Beak of the Moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    The Bees by Laline Paull (unlucky)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Hooper (bookel)
    Journeys to the Heartland by William Horwood (Vonini)
    Vonini: Likewise a book about a group of animals on a journey told from the animal point of view.
    Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams (Cecrow)
    The Cold Moons by Aeron Clement (J.Sealy)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W. J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)

1970s (1)

English (358)  Italian (4)  Finnish (4)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (373)
This book takes place in one of England's Downs called Watership. It is a story about a group of rabbits to decide to leave their Warren due to some foreseen danger predicted by one of the rabbits. This rabbit has been known to be a bit of a seer, so his closest friends believe him and leave the Warren together. They set out to find a place to settle down. They meet several rabbits and other creatures along the way - some who become friends, and others who become enemies. A few rabbits don't make it to their final home, but most do.

Once settled, they start to realize they will need does to form a complete Warren. (the band of rabbits that traveled were all male). They use the help of a new friend - a bird - to search out warrens near by for does. They then take their bravest rabbits to visit the warren to see if they can encourage some of their does to follow them to their new Warren.

The rabbits overcome impossible odds to settle a new Warren and begin a new life. The guidance of their leader, Hazel, makes it possible.

I enjoyed this book. It was a slow start, I have to admit. But as I got into it, I become more and more involved in the stories of the main characters, willing them to live through every battle, and every mission. When one of the main rabbits seemed to be doomed for good, I worried what would happen to the morale of the whole group. They had come so far together, and there were so few of them from the original Warren.

The book has a whole language thought up by the author, which after awhile I started thinking about in my every day life. He has a glossary of terms in the back of the book, which was nice for when you forgot what one of the "rabbit language" words meant.

This is a mature book - definitely suited more for middle school students, but children ages 13 and over would enjoy the story. I say give it a try. The battle scenes went on a little long in my opinion, but don't let those get in the way of enjoying the overall story of this book ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I truly enjoyed this book as I was reading it. I enjoyed the adventures they had and the myths the rabbits had of El-ahrairah. I did notice the lack of any real female characters, but I figured that probably just had something to do with the way rabbit society is set up in the real world.

Then, like I do whenever I finish a book, I went to the Wikipedia entry and found out that most rabbit societies are matriarchal, which I suppose makes sense in the wild as it's always immediate obvious who an animal's mother is, but not so much the father. I don't think Adams was specifically being misogynist by having all male characters, but I have to wonder why, if the story started out as a tale he was telling to his two daughters, he would choose to make all the main characters boys.

That being said, it doesn't detract anything from the novel, but these are the things that I wonder about after reading something. ( )
  amsee | Jan 4, 2019 |
Finally read this classic tale over Christmas break. It is a clever and intricate story that effectively captures the animal spirit, anthropomorphizing in a believable and beautiful way. ( )
  Doeni | Jan 2, 2019 |
I absolutely adored these brave rabbits and their determination to create a free and happy life for themselves. The characters fit together into a wonderful team where everyone's talents are used for the best for all. We get to draw comparisons between a dictatorship and free society, different leadership styles, and face hard choices between safety and freedom. We learn much about wild rabbits and their harsh life, always on the lookout for "elil" and man. The characters are complex and wonderful, the story keeps you on the edge - a true classic, and a lovely read. I highly recommend it! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
If someone were to ask me which book absorbed me most, I would say 'Watership Down' by Richard Adams. I didn't read it at a single sitting but I remember getting down from the trolley in our sitting room both after dinner (which we had at lunch time) and tea (which was our dinner) to finish it in my bedroom. The book that absorbed me far less was Shardik by Richard Adams. ( )
  jon1lambert | Oct 12, 2018 |
Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juliet and Rosamond,
remembering
the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
CHORUS: Why do you cry out thus, unless at some vision of horror?
CASSANDRA: The house reeks of death and dripping blood.
CHORUS: How so? 'Tis but the odour of the altar sacrifice.
CASSANDRA: The stench is like a breath from the tomb.

Aeschylus Agamemnon
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.
FI:"Viikka ja Vatukka, Voikukka ja Mansikka, Pähkinä ja Hopea ja muut kanit, Ruohometsän koko unohtumaton kansa tässä elokuvassa, joka on valloittanut maailman. Kertomus pikkukanien uhkraohkeasta pakomatkasta ihmisten jaloista kohti uutta, turvallista kotiseutua - on tarina kaikenikäisille. Jännittävä, liikuttava ja tiemastuttava koko perheen elokuva, jonka suosiosta kertovat myös monet suuret kansainväliset palkinnot."
Rabbits find a home.
They find others on the way
and fight to stay safe.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,486,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible