Watership Down: A Novel by Richard Adams

Watership Down: A Novel (original 1972; edition 2005)

by Richard Adams

17,345343100 (4.22)3 / 697
Member:ifjuly
Title:Watership Down: A Novel
Authors:Richard Adams
Info:Scribner (2005), Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:children's literature

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    The Bees by Laline Paull (unlucky)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W. J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Hooper (bookel)
    The Song of Pentecost by W. J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Cold Moons by Aeron Clement (J.Sealy)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)

1970s (1)

English (329)  Finnish (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All (343)
Such a charming and haunting little book. The rabbits are more human than human. A true classic. Mr. Adams passed recently. In writing this book he will never be forgotten. The courage of the rabbits could be a lesson taught to us all. ( )
  Hymlock | Apr 20, 2017 |
I first read this as a teenager and absolutely loved it. Many years later I wanted to reread it but thought listening to the audiobook might make it more likely to happen. So I have been listening to this on my work commute. And I had forgotten how much I loved this book. I loved it just as much this time. The fabulous Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig and Blackberry and Kehaar were still in my head and it was so wonderful to meet them again. I could see more of the themes this time and the background of WW2 military for the characters. Just a fabulous book. ( )
  infjsarah | Apr 14, 2017 |
DNF after about 30 pages. Just not interested in this right now. Might come back and give it another try in the future.
  AliceaP | Mar 28, 2017 |
I was surprised by how little I remembered this book. It was just the right balance. The rabbits were not too human ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 11, 2017 |
This was my first time reading Watership Down, and I didn’t know too much about it before I began reading except that it was a story told from the perspective of rabbits. I’m glad I finally read it, and I enjoyed it, but I was never enthralled by it. It was easy for me to put down.

The book starts off with a rabbit, Fiver, having a premonition that something horrible is going to happen to the warren where he and his brother live. His brother Hazel has learned that Fiver’s instincts about danger are usually correct, so Hazel does his best to help Fiver convince the chief rabbit that all the rabbits need to leave. Without any tangible support for their argument, the chief doesn’t take them seriously and is quite annoyed at being disturbed with such nonsense. A handful of rabbits decide to leave anyway, and the story is about the adventures they have after leaving as they try to make new lives for themselves.

Somehow I’ve gone through life without having much exposure to rabbits. I’ve seen a couple wild rabbits here and there at a distance, and I’ve occasionally seen fuzzy, rabbity lumps not doing much of anything (understandably) in tiny cages in pet stores, but that’s about it. When I was about halfway through the book, it finally occurred to me to look up rabbit videos online. That was nearly as entertaining as kitten videos, and searching for some specific things (fighting, thumping) helped me better picture some of the action in the book.

There really weren’t any major twists or surprises in this story. At least, not in my opinion. I felt like everything that happened was easily predicted by common sense, if not hinted at by the author well in advance. The string of adventures sometimes felt a little tedious to me, but there were also times when I was pretty well entertained by it. It also took me quite a while to warm up to the characters, but I did feel fairly attached to some of them by the end.

There’s an anthology associated with this book, Tales from Watership Down, but I’ve decided not to read it. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Jan 28, 2017 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

I read this book a very long time ago, but i remember it really changing my perspective on books. It is very much a kids book but at the time i thought if it as very adult. I don't remember much of the plot, but the ending was definitely sad and it somehow made something so serious out of such a simple and innocent topic.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
Titre d'une autre édition : Les garennes de Watership Down
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.
FI:"Viikka ja Vatukka, Voikukka ja Mansikka, Pähkinä ja Hopea ja muut kanit, Ruohometsän koko unohtumaton kansa tässä elokuvassa, joka on valloittanut maailman. Kertomus pikkukanien uhkraohkeasta pakomatkasta ihmisten jaloista kohti uutta, turvallista kotiseutua - on tarina kaikenikäisille. Jännittävä, liikuttava ja tiemastuttava koko perheen elokuva, jonka suosiosta kertovat myös monet suuret kansainväliset palkinnot."
Rabbits find a home.
They find others on the way
and fight to stay safe.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,780,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible