Unten am Fluss by Richard Adams

Unten am Fluss (original 1972; edition 2005)

by Richard Adams

15,260264121 (4.23)3 / 564
Member:Zurpel
Title:Unten am Fluss
Authors:Richard Adams
Info:Dhv der Hörverlag (2005), Edition: Neuausg., Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Read (all), Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:abridged, audiobook, ed-german, fable, kids, listened, oldies, owned

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

Recently added byNickidemus, aeromaxtran, Joylin, MaryGuimond, NineLarks, gothamgrrl, RowingRabbit, private library
1970s (2)
Unread books (1,026)
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    Pentecost and the Chosen One by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Sight by David Clement-Davies (unlucky)

English (252)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (263)
I found myself pleasantly surprised by this classic. I am not sure what I expected, but when I heard it was a rabbit version of the Aeneid... you can be sure I had both eyebrows lifted.

And after reading the book, I must say, I do agree with that description of a rabbit-like Aeneid. It has the whole Greek/Roman epic poem or story feel to it with the warriors, the slightly-mad visionary, the quest, the main protagonist's hubris, etc.

I think my favorite part of this was the incorporation of legends. Whenever Dandelion told a story about El-ahrairah, it always managed to explore the rabbits' ideology, their treasured qualities, and also fit into what would happen next in the story.

I don't think I was ever bored reading this book, despite it being over 400 pages. Sure, some arcs of the book were a little less interesting (human ex machina with the cat part and the hatch rabbits), but following Hazel, Fiver, and Bigwig around was fascinating.

It is like learning a new language and a new world within the one we know right now. If you don't know what silflay and Owslaw is after, you haven't been reading very closely.

I thought the scenes with Strawberry were particularly clever. It felt almost human and creepy and utterly perfect - because it all lies within the boundaries of possibility.

And the ending was just perfect. The hero who goes to become part of the Owslaw of the one who has night stars for ears.

3.5 stars rounded down. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read a classic. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
At first, I thought this book was going to be about ships. I love ship stories. So, I was a bit disappointed when the book opened up with paragraphs about rabbits. But thank goodness I didn't drop it there. Regardless of the fact that the characters of rabbits, they are quite well developed. The story follows a group (I forget the term for a group of rabbits) rabbits who are fleeing the ever reaching hand of man. Their journey is, however, filled with strife at every corner. The rabbit world is not as cuddly and fuzzy as it appears to as, clearly depicted in this novel that illustrates anger, corruptness, blindness, but also friendship, love and unity. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 13, 2014 |
Until about a year ago, I had some misconceptions about Richard Adams’s novel Watership Down. At first, knowing nothing about its plot, I assumed that it must be about a naval battle. Later, when I learned that it was in fact about rabbits, I thought that it must be a children’s book. I was very wrong on both counts (although I do think it is sometimes labeled a children’s book, despite its mature themes).

Watership Down is a story of a group of rabbits who escape the violent destruction of their warren by a group of humans. It stars Fiver, the clairvoyant, undersized fellow whose prophecy prompts the escape, his brother Hazel, the leader of the group of escapees, and Bigwig, a tough, brave rabbit who had been an officer in their old warren.

The rabbits, a group of fewer than a dozen, make their way across the countryside in search of a safe place to dig new burrows. Along the way, they run into various dangers: a warren of rabbits who live a comfortable life with plenty of human-provided food, but are nonetheless resigned to their eventual death at the hands of said human; an authoritarian warren called Efrafa, which is ruled by a cruel and unnatural rabbit named Woundwort; dogs; hombil (foxes), cats, humans, hrududil (cars), and other elil (enemies). They establish a new home on Watership Down, and immediately set out to find some does (for they are all bucks, and how are they to reproduce?). This brings them into the dangerous territory of Efrafa, and all they have to depend on are their wits, trickery, and their new gull friend Kehaar for survival when things turn ugly.

At times I felt positively creeped out while reading Watership Down. I’m not normally one to feel frightened when reading—I read It and The Exorcist without any problem—but there were parts of this novel that were quite disturbing. The authoritarian nature of Efrafan society, for instance, and the sad group of rabbits who knew they would eventually be caught in snares gave me the shivers. And the Black Rabbit was no warm, fuzzy guy—when he calls your name, you must follow, knowing you are no longer for this life.

There was blood, violence and abuse of power—and on the other hand, friendship, loyalty and camaraderie. There were rabbit myths and legends, stories of triumph and trickery, leaders and gods. (Rabbits worship the sun, whom they call Frith; and El-ahrairah, their rabbit lord). In many ways, rabbit society in Watership Down is not much different than human society.

I expected this to be a slow read, but I really flew through it. It was exciting and suspenseful, and I grew to root for Hazel-rah and his group of rabbits. The book was an in-depth exploration not only of Hazel’s warren, but of rabbit society in general. I saw at once a demonstration of human destruction and imperialism over the animal world, and humanity’s flaws reflected in the dystopian rabbit warrens. I think Watership Down is definitely worth a read.

I also watched the movie (made in 1978), and it was a dated but good adaptation—quite violent and bloody. Definitely worth a watch, if you enjoy the book. ( )
8 vote blackrabbit89 | Jun 24, 2014 |
This book about rabbits striking out to create their own rabbit settlement is well written. The rabbit characters are well developed and have individual characteristics. However, I was completely stressed out for the entire book. I can see why rabbits have such a high heart rate, their lives are fraught with peril. As far as using this book with students, the vocabulary was pretty difficult, especially with the complicated made-up rabbit language words, so for elementary it really could only be a read aloud. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 8, 2014 |
An amazing book that I remember being unable to put down, "Watership Down" ingrained itself in my memory. Not only is is very compelling and original, but also a sobering look into conflict and terror in a typically idyllic setting. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible