Unten am Fluss by Richard Adams

Unten am Fluss (original 1972; edition 2005)

by Richard Adams

16,857331105 (4.22)3 / 657
Member:Zurpel
Title:Unten am Fluss
Authors:Richard Adams
Info:Dhv der Hörverlag (2005), Edition: Neuausg., Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Read (all), Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:abridged, audiobook, ed-german, fable, kids, listened, oldies, owned

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

Recently added byprivate library, greenegirlcr, mtstellens, secretspecies, Leena.Ward, antdos, book_cat9
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    The Bees by Laline Paull (unlucky)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)

1970s (1)

English (318)  Finnish (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (331)
I'm not usually into stories about anthropomorphic animals. But I can definitely see why this turned out to be a classic. I could easily inter-impose the story onto men and women in my head and when I did that, it became just like any other story about a people trying to survive in the world. It's not really fit for small children in my opinion however. I ended up liking the story. But the life of me I couldn't begin to feel anything for the characters. Most likely because they were rabbits. ;) Otherwise, it's a great story. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 17, 2016 |
When I first read Watership Down, many years ago, I loved it and I have remembered it was one of my favorite books. Perhaps I should have left well enough alone. This audio edition was entertaining, and very well narrated. I enjoyed hearing some of the words I didn't know how to pronounce when I read them. And I liked the adventures of the rabbits, and their adventures.

This is a good book, a very good book. But a re-reading, even all these years alter when I'd forgotten the details of the book, was pleasant but I didn't get involved with the story, didn't connect with some of the truly great characters, like I did the first time.

If you have never read it, and you like a bit of fantasy and anthropomorphism with your adventure, do read this book. If you have already read it, you may be just vaguely disappointed, as I was. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jul 26, 2016 |
I read this when I was 13, and for many reads thereafter. One great experience was listening to it as a book on tape - it made the story so much more real.

This is a great book for children, adults, and everyone in between. Its strength is that it gives a perspective on life that we often don't contemplate: how do humans influence the lives of non-human beings around them?

The descriptions of the different warrens, the strength of will of the rabbits who set off on their journey, and their realization that they still have to do a little more to make their new home thrive are all relevant to the story and make it much more than just a simple tale.

I've always meant to look up the quotes that Adams references at the beginning of each chapter! ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |

“My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.”

Group read with the pantless, crunchless ones.

No, this wasn't a book I read and loved as a child. I knew little about it until the past few years when it popped up on classics lists and random discussions. I found out it was about rabbits (I love bunnies in general), and that this was some kind of allegory on life. Since I enjoyed [b:Animal Farm|7613|Animal Farm|George Orwell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1424037542s/7613.jpg|2207778] so much, I sought to give this book a try.

Fiver is basically a psychic bun - he gets instincts and revelations on impending disasters and saving graces, so he convinces some of the other warren bunnies to follow his lead and leave the safe haven they've always known. Throughout the the book they risk tail and life to escape peril, run into other warrens that are more than they seem, politically outmaneuver viciousness, and keep seeking the dream worth seeking.

As a whole, it's a great book. The story is focused on life, different allegories for things that affect people as we experience them through bunny notions. Risks and betrayals, bravery and adventures. The group starts out small but starts to grow, yet the mains stay the same through: Fiver, who I figured at first to be the main but kind of blends into the background later; Hazel, a leading rabbit who has loyalty and the best for the other rabbits in mind; Bunwat, a brave rabbit who has a tuft on the top of his head like my housebunny, Kirby; other random rabbits who honestly kind of blend together and pop up when extra bodies are needed.

There's tension when some of the rabbits are at risk, and the better parts of the book are when they are exploring new warrens and figuring out what's wrong with the falsely happy worlds. It was a little dystopian, cult feel.

Unfortunately, while the writer waves a beautiful pen and crafts stunning words and phrasing, he spends too long lingering over the description of fields, feeding, and drifting. The book could have been better had it been shorter, with all the unneeded baggage left behind. Sure, rabbits place heavy importance on grazing, fields, warrens, digging, and all that...but it gets old after awhile to keep reading the same repetitious scenes.

It's a worthy classic to read, and the ending is especially peaceful and heartwarming. I didn't get into the stories that would take a chapter a piece about their worship and deity, but it came fully across in the final chapter to tie into something very relevant.

It has flaws over being slow and overly descriptive, and sadly the bunnies personalities blend together to where they don't really stand out from each other (other than a particularly ferocious foe who is like a super rabbit villain). While slower scenes aren't riveting, the emphasis on a rabbits sedate habits gives the story credibility. Not perfect but certainly worthy of its classic status.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Epic warrior & political story. This subject matter/ genre never was and never will be my cup-of-tea. Nonetheless, I was captivated and impressed by this story - and someday I do want to treat myself and read this again.
----------------------------------

Read for Children's Books Jan. 2016
Here's much of what I said there:

(Steve suggested that Fiver be Hazel's sister, and that Bigwig's mate be an Amazonian type who insisted on coming with...) It would have been definitely an allegorical tale then, Steve, and not a story about rabbits. Adams wanted to be as true as possible to lapine culture, and does only kindle and dig, according to Adams' source & understandings.

Otoh, these rabbits are obviously significantly more sentient than real ones, and so liberties are taken.

It's clearly a story about beings that are more directly concerned with survival, beings whose main 'technological' advancement is storytelling, a development of a mythology. In that way it reminded me very much of Bambi: A Life in the Woods (Salten's, not Disney's), another serious book that reminds us that wildlife is wild, and has dignity, and is worthy of respect... is not "cute."

And it also reminded me of The Kin by Peter Dickinson. In that book those who quest are young humans, just beginning to have inspirations and to create technology. That novel also has stories from a mythology intermixed with the narrative of the humans' struggle for survival. (And it's a book I highly recommend.)

And thinking of epic quests makes me wonder if a comparison can't be made between this and the books by Tolkien. At least, both invent a rich world, with language, customs, traditions..... " ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.

AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.
Rabbits find a home.
They find others on the way
and fight to stay safe.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

5 2068

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible