Watership Down by Richard Adams

Watership Down (original 1972; edition 1975)

by Richard Adams

Info:Avon (1975), Mass Market Paperback, 478 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, adventure

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    Fifteen Rabbits by Felix Salten (bookel)

1970s (2)
Unread books (1,000)

English (273)  Italian (3)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (285)
Epic warrior & political story. This subject matter/ genre never was and never will be my cup-of-tea. Nonetheless, I was captivated and impressed by this story - and someday I do want to treat myself and read this again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Why oh why am I going to read the entire book? I think I'm missing the point, that's why. Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Very good book. Full of adventure and excitement. Reminds me of the books I used to read when I was younger. ( )
  LopiCake | Mar 25, 2015 |
This book started off painfully dull for me. It wasn't until part III (of IV) that it started getting good, at which point it good REAL good. Someday I'll probably try it again. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 23, 2015 |
A really fun story. Very creative to imagine the world of rabbits and the possible perils of their world.

This book is [b:the Lord of the Rings|34|The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Part 1)|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1156043001s/34.jpg|3204327] on a rabbit scale. One of my favorite in my memory. :) ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

5 1925

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,560,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible