Watership Down by Richard Adams

Watership Down (original 1972; edition 1975)

by Richard Adams

Info:Avon (1975), Mass Market Paperback, 478 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, adventure

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

1970s (2)
Unread books (1,087)
    Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Pentecost and the Chosen One by W.J. Corbett (bookel)

English (263)  Italian (3)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (275)
I first read this on a solitary visit to England; sometimes, I'd stop at a country hotel for the night sooner than I'd planned to because I wanted to get back to the book. I recently reread it and was still intrigued by Adams' anthropomorphising sleight of hand. (Goodreads software says I've misspelled anthropomorphising, but it also thinks I've misspelled Goodreads!) ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Read this book like five times when I was a kid...just reread it and it is as good as I remember! ( )
  mybucketlistofbooks | Jan 10, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

This was a television series when I was a kid, you'll know it - Bright Eyes. I never understood the story, but I came across this book and wanted to read it, so hopefully I could learn what the story had been about in the first place. (OK, the lovely rabbit on the cover did help a little in my decision making process).

It was a completely different story from what I expected. A bunch of rabbits set of to create a new colony (that is probably not the right word - please do forgive me) of rabbits, and we follow them as they try to create this.

But, oh, they aren't very clever; for they simply 'forget' to take any female rabbits with them. It's clear they didn't pay attention in Biology classes.

Then, obviously they need to find some female rabbits, and they just go and steal them. I always wondered why the Evil rabbits in the series were hunting them, but it makes more sense now.

A book all about rabbits may sound boring, but believe me, it isn't. There's a lot of suspense and it is interesting from start to end. I would recommend it! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
2000, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Ralph Cosham

From the Publisher: The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language. As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come.

Why I Read This Now: I read this children’s classic in a children’s literature course many, many years ago. But I was studying English full-time and always reading and/or writing at mach speed. Wanted to slow down and savour, and see how [Watership Down] would play, given the time it deserves.

My Review: The anthropomorphized world of rabbits and rabbit culture – and by extension humans and human culture – Adams has created is nothing short of remarkable. The trials and temptations of the brave Berkshire rabbits is classic adventure reading, and the characters are unforgettable: the imaginative, dedicated leader Hazel; his little brother, Fiver, small and awkward, but with a life-saving sixth sense; intrepid Bigwig; fiercely loyal little Pipkin; and the experienced Silver, able to quickly get a handle on any situation. The Lapine language is beyond fabulous! My favourite word: hrududu, meaning any type of motor vehicle, such as a tractor, car or train. The word was intuitive for me, making the sound a child might make to describe the noise of an engine.

Absolutely delightful! Adams has created a gem for the ages, one which joins the exclusive list of my all-time favourites. This audio edition features Ralph Cosham at his finest. Most highly recommended!

1 vote lit_chick | Dec 20, 2014 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.

Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)

This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

5 1901

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,073,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible