Watership Down by Richard Adams

Watership Down (original 1972; edition 2012)

by Richard Adams

16,959333104 (4.22)3 / 665
Title:Watership Down
Authors:Richard Adams
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, allegory, read in 2012, 12 in 12 Challenge, library, audiobook, adventure, mythology

Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972)

Redwall by Brian Jacques (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (bookel)
    We3 by Grant Morrison (kristenn)
    Beak of the moon by Philip Temple (Aquila)
    Aquila: Similar quest story about keas (NZ's alpine parrots) but very much its own book.
    Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Adventure from the point of view of animals written for adults! A group of sheep discover that their shepherd has been murdered and decide they will have to find the culprit themselves. I loved this book :)
    The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy (kelsoli)
    kelsoli: A survival quest about elephants.
    Duncton Wood by William Horwood (bookel)
    Traveller by Richard Adams (catnmaus)
    Frost Dancers by Garry Kilworth (peptastic)
    peptastic: It's about hares trying to find a new home after being plucked for hare racing.
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (al.vick)
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    The Bees by Laline Paull (unlucky)
    The Song of Pentecost by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    Pentecost of Lickey Top by W.J. Corbett (bookel)
    The Journal of Watkin Stench by Meredith Jean Hooper (bookel)
    The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    Promise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst (LadyofWinterfell)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Two great examples of fine English fantasy.
    Deep Wood by Elleston Trevor (bookel)

1970s (1)

English (319)  Finnish (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (333)
Seriously dark for a book about rabbits, but really good too. And the animated movie is just as dark as the book. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  Danielle_Kozinski | Oct 7, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book when I was in high school and enjoyed it just as much this time. One of those books you can't put down. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
I'm not usually into stories about anthropomorphic animals. But I can definitely see why this turned out to be a classic. I could easily inter-impose the story onto men and women in my head and when I did that, it became just like any other story about a people trying to survive in the world. It's not really fit for small children in my opinion however. I ended up liking the story. But the life of me I couldn't begin to feel anything for the characters. Most likely because they were rabbits. ;) Otherwise, it's a great story. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 17, 2016 |
When I first read Watership Down, many years ago, I loved it and I have remembered it was one of my favorite books. Perhaps I should have left well enough alone. This audio edition was entertaining, and very well narrated. I enjoyed hearing some of the words I didn't know how to pronounce when I read them. And I liked the adventures of the rabbits, and their adventures.

This is a good book, a very good book. But a re-reading, even all these years alter when I'd forgotten the details of the book, was pleasant but I didn't get involved with the story, didn't connect with some of the truly great characters, like I did the first time.

If you have never read it, and you like a bit of fantasy and anthropomorphism with your adventure, do read this book. If you have already read it, you may be just vaguely disappointed, as I was. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jul 26, 2016 |
I read this when I was 13, and for many reads thereafter. One great experience was listening to it as a book on tape - it made the story so much more real.

This is a great book for children, adults, and everyone in between. Its strength is that it gives a perspective on life that we often don't contemplate: how do humans influence the lives of non-human beings around them?

The descriptions of the different warrens, the strength of will of the rabbits who set off on their journey, and their realization that they still have to do a little more to make their new home thrive are all relevant to the story and make it much more than just a simple tale.

I've always meant to look up the quotes that Adams references at the beginning of each chapter! ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
It would seem that in Adam's ardor for wild creatures he has tried too hard to make a case for them instead of allowing them fully to be their own recommendation. I'm grateful for much of what he's done, but I'm not going to look at rabbits differently from now on.
Watership Down offers little to build a literary cult upon. On the American-whimsy exchange, one Tolkien hobbit should still be worth a dozen talking rabbits.
added by Shortride | editTime, Melvin Maddocks (Mar 18, 1974)
This bunny-rabbit novel not only steers mostly clear of the usual sticky, anthropomorphic pitfalls of your common garden-variety of bunny rabbit story: it is also quite marvelous for a while, and after it stops being marvelous, it settles down to be pretty good- a book you can live with from start to finish.

Adams, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walter de la Mare
To Juliet and Rosamond, remembering the road to Stratford-on-Avon
The primroses were over.
AR 6.2, Pts 25.0

Fiver could sense danger. Something terrible was going to happen to the warren – he felt sure of it. So did his brother Hazel, for Fiver’s sixth sense was never wrong. They had to leave immediately, and they had to persuade the other rabbits to join them. And so begins a long and perilous journey of a small band of rabbits in search of a safe home. Fiver’s vision finally leads them to Watership Down, but here they face their most difficult challenge of all.
Rabbits find a home.
They find others on the way
and fight to stay safe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002930, Mass Market Paperback)

Watership Down has been a staple of high-school English classes for years. Despite the fact that it's often a hard sell at first (what teenager wouldn't cringe at the thought of 400-plus pages of talking rabbits?), Richard Adams's bunny-centric epic rarely fails to win the love and respect of anyone who reads it, regardless of age. Like most great novels, Watership Down is a rich story that can be read (and reread) on many different levels. The book is often praised as an allegory, with its analogs between human and rabbit culture (a fact sometimes used to goad skeptical teens, who resent the challenge that they won't "get" it, into reading it), but it's equally praiseworthy as just a corking good adventure.

The story follows a warren of Berkshire rabbits fleeing the destruction of their home by a land developer. As they search for a safe haven, skirting danger at every turn, we become acquainted with the band and its compelling culture and mythos. Adams has crafted a touching, involving world in the dirt and scrub of the English countryside, complete with its own folk history and language (the book comes with a "lapine" glossary, a guide to rabbitese). As much about freedom, ethics, and human nature as it is about a bunch of bunnies looking for a warm hidey-hole and some mates, Watership Down will continue to make the transition from classroom desk to bedside table for many generations to come. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

Chronicles the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place to establish a new warren where they can live in peace.

5 2081

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241953235, 0141341939

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,711,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible