Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to…

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom (Caldecott Honor… (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Carole Boston Weatherford, Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:smvega
Title:Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Carole Boston Weatherford
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2006), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:history, biography, hardships

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford (2006)

The book that I read was called Moses by Carole Boston Weatherford. In this story, it talks about Harriet Tubman who was born into slavery. She made the courageous decision to escape to Philadelphia when she was a young adult. This story talks about her journey as she escapes slavery to freedom. Once she has made it Philadelphia, she decides to go back to the South to rescue her family. Harriet makes this trip back and forth to the South hundreds of times helping rescue others from slavery. During this time, Harriet relies on her relationship with God to give her strength to not get caught and help rescue other slaves. It was a very dangerous time for Harriet. People wanted her captured. Harriet knew how dangerous it was but was determined to help free as many slaves as she could. The slaves started calling Harriet Moses because she led slaves to freedom to the Promised Land just like Moses did in the Bible. She help save hundred of slaves with the Under Ground Railroad.

My reaction- I loved this book. I love anything to do with the Underground Railroad.

Classroom Extension ideas:
1.I would separate the students into small groups of three or four for discussion. I would ask the students to reflect and discuss why they believe Harriet Tubman was so important to the survival of the Underground Railroad.
2. I will give each student several sheets of construction paper and I will instruct them to design a piece of a quilt. When all the students are done, we will piece them together to make a big paper quilt on the wall of the classroom.
  AmberDimmitt | Oct 14, 2014 |
In my opinion, this book is a great tool to use for teaching the historic importance of slavery. This book is geared towards children of older ages, because in order to understand this book, you must have prior knowledge as to who Harriet Tubman is. In the foreword section of this book, the author, Carole Boston Weatherford, explains what is meant by slavery. She gives a brief description of important historical dates and an intro to what this book will be about. The illustrations are great in this piece because they span the entire pages and really allow the reader to visualize what the times looked like. The text is also large enough for easy reading and guided reading with a class. The underlying theme expressed is slavery and multiculturalism. This book is historic fiction because it tells the story of a historical figure during a prominent time in our history. The writing style is engaging and organized and touches on key aspects of that time. The author also bolds and makes important text on every page larger, to stand out from the rest. This book is interesting for young readers learning about history in the classroom because it tells the journey of Harriet Tumban as a slave in our very own hometown, Maryland. This book can also be classified as a biography because it tells the story of Harriet Tubman. ( )
  eoertl1 | Oct 14, 2014 |
I believe that Moses is a great children’s book for three reasons. First I believe this book tells a wonderful story about an extremely significant event in history; Harriet Tubman assisting slaves to their freedom. I liked this because slavery might be a confusing topic for children and seeing the event written in a child-like fashion may clear up those confusions. Next, I liked the variety of fonts used on the pages of this book and what they represented. Rather than using normal dialogue, Weatherford chose to use a different font type to represent the different point of views from this book. The narration is expressed in a normal font, while Harriet Tubman’s words to God are expressed in italics. When God is speaking back to Harriet, the font is shown as a large, all capitalized text on the page. I thought this was interesting way to depict dialogue because children can make connections with why God’s font may be so large and why Harriet’s may be small and italicized, (because God was the largest figure in her life and she felt alone and small.) finally, I believe this book send an overall good message to children: that you can do anything you set your mind to and for some, faith may lead you to do such things. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Sep 16, 2014 |
I really liked this book for three reasons. I liked the font in this book because it displayed a nice visual for who was speaking. I liked that God was the biggest because in this story, he is the one leading the way and he is the most important in Harriet's life. Another thing that I liked about this book was the illustrations. I liked that throughout the book most of the pages were dark and dreary and they used warm and cool colors alone almost on every page but at the end, there is both warm and cool colors and everything is brighter on the very last page. Another thing that I liked about his book was the plot and how the whole time God was calling Harriet his daughter but he changed to tell her to be the Moses for her people. I liked how she took on this role and the very last line was Well done, Moses, well done. This was also God speaking which I thought was really neat. The big idea that I got from this book is that God is with you along the way for every journey that you take on in life and he leads you to be the better person that he knows you can become. ( )
  kelleemorcomb | Sep 16, 2014 |
This book would be a great one to have a tap for a Civil RIghts lesson plan. It tells the heroic story of Harriet Tubman and her fight for freedom. This book is hopeful and will give kids that message that no matter what, never stop fighting for equality. ( )
  jewolf | Nov 26, 2013 |
To the ancestors who fought for freedom, and for freedom's children everywhere --CBW

For my mother, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, great-greats...and all of the mothers and daughters who have led the way. --KN
On a summer night, Harriet gazes at the sky and talks with God.

This poetic book is a resounding tribute to Tubman's strength, humility, and devotion. With proper reverence, Weatherford and Nelson do justice to the woman who, long ago, earned over and over the name Moses.

Describes Tubman's spiritual journey as she hears the voice of God guiding her north to freedom on that very first trip to escape the brutal practice of forced servitude. Tubman would make nineteen subsequent trips back south, never being caught, but none as profound as this first one.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible