Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to…

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom (Caldecott Honor… (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Carole Boston Weatherford, Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:smvega
Title:Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Carole Boston Weatherford
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2006), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:history, biography, hardships

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford (2006)

Book written as a fiction book, however, God speaks to her in and guides her through her escape and direction. This book holds amazing literacy craft and is scripted in melody. The illustrations are pronounced and colorful with numerous of close up photos that certainly holds the attention of the reader. My favorite page was the quote which spanned over both pages which read, " As far as you can walk with me, my child, and I can carry you". This author certainly has it right... a poetic genius. She uses all types of sentence structures, declarative, interrogative, etc. The book is filtered with beautiful quotes, profound questions, poetic lyrics and informational text. I would strongly recommend this book to 5 -8 grades for enjoyment and educational purposes. ( )
  daphnejohnson | Jun 12, 2015 |
I am trying to think carefully whether I'd share this with children. I think I would. I'm an atheist, and I knew very little about Tubman before reading this (for example, it surprised me that she lived so long after the Civil War). I felt I learned a lot about her, and about her efforts. As others have pointed out, her faith was the greatest part of her identity, and to leave it out would be, well, blasphemous.

I thought the artwork was amazing, with the different perspectives, different highlights - the sun on her bent back, the close-up of the hatchet, looking down on her holding her bleeding feet... the images were so alive compared with the portraits Nelson could have painted.

I liked the present tense and the dialog with God. That, too, brought the story alive for me.

I believe children ages 5 & up are likely to be able to empathize and appreciate her struggles to free herself and her people. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Wonderful illustrations based on the story of Harriet Tubman. A fictional take on the story about "the Moses of her People" and the Underground Railroad. ( )
  shane54 | Feb 24, 2015 |
The book that I read was called Moses by Carole Boston Weatherford. In this story, it talks about Harriet Tubman who was born into slavery. She made the courageous decision to escape to Philadelphia when she was a young adult. This story talks about her journey as she escapes slavery to freedom. Once she has made it Philadelphia, she decides to go back to the South to rescue her family. Harriet makes this trip back and forth to the South hundreds of times helping rescue others from slavery. During this time, Harriet relies on her relationship with God to give her strength to not get caught and help rescue other slaves. It was a very dangerous time for Harriet. People wanted her captured. Harriet knew how dangerous it was but was determined to help free as many slaves as she could. The slaves started calling Harriet Moses because she led slaves to freedom to the Promised Land just like Moses did in the Bible. She help save hundred of slaves with the Under Ground Railroad.

My reaction- I loved this book. I love anything to do with the Underground Railroad.

Classroom Extension ideas:
1.I would separate the students into small groups of three or four for discussion. I would ask the students to reflect and discuss why they believe Harriet Tubman was so important to the survival of the Underground Railroad.
2. I will give each student several sheets of construction paper and I will instruct them to design a piece of a quilt. When all the students are done, we will piece them together to make a big paper quilt on the wall of the classroom.
  AmberDimmitt | Oct 14, 2014 |
In my opinion, this book is a great tool to use for teaching the historic importance of slavery. This book is geared towards children of older ages, because in order to understand this book, you must have prior knowledge as to who Harriet Tubman is. In the foreword section of this book, the author, Carole Boston Weatherford, explains what is meant by slavery. She gives a brief description of important historical dates and an intro to what this book will be about. The illustrations are great in this piece because they span the entire pages and really allow the reader to visualize what the times looked like. The text is also large enough for easy reading and guided reading with a class. The underlying theme expressed is slavery and multiculturalism. This book is historic fiction because it tells the story of a historical figure during a prominent time in our history. The writing style is engaging and organized and touches on key aspects of that time. The author also bolds and makes important text on every page larger, to stand out from the rest. This book is interesting for young readers learning about history in the classroom because it tells the journey of Harriet Tumban as a slave in our very own hometown, Maryland. This book can also be classified as a biography because it tells the story of Harriet Tubman. ( )
  eoertl1 | Oct 14, 2014 |
To the ancestors who fought for freedom, and for freedom's children everywhere --CBW

For my mother, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, great-greats...and all of the mothers and daughters who have led the way. --KN
On a summer night, Harriet gazes at the sky and talks with God.

This poetic book is a resounding tribute to Tubman's strength, humility, and devotion. With proper reverence, Weatherford and Nelson do justice to the woman who, long ago, earned over and over the name Moses.

Describes Tubman's spiritual journey as she hears the voice of God guiding her north to freedom on that very first trip to escape the brutal practice of forced servitude. Tubman would make nineteen subsequent trips back south, never being caught, but none as profound as this first one.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,979,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible