The Royals by Kitty Kelley

The Royals (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Kitty Kelley

Member:geophile
Title:The Royals
Authors:Kitty Kelley
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, Biography
Tags:Biography, Great Britain, Royal family, House of Windsor, British royalty, Kings and rulers, Queens, Elizabeth II Queen of Great Britain, 1926-

The Royals by Kitty Kelley (1997)

I know that I am going to hear about someone mention that this isn't history but it does include some history and even all the gossip itself can be considered historical in one way or another since it was a part of the present.

Even though I grew up in the '90s and saw the glamour of the Princess of Wales I was never into the royalty. My sister was the one caught up with the royals and so I chose to get her the book but before I give it to her I chose to read it myself. And I was floored and stuck to the book with the first few paragraphs.

We all more or less wonder about other people lives and sometimes have the foolish wish to be able to live like one of them but in this book it will strip away the dreams that you would think would exist. It is proven that money doesn't bring you happiness, that duty is more frigid to others than love and sometimes the pretty glitter that catches your eye is blood-red underneath. The book more or less seemed to be in two camps for me - the Duke of Windsor and the Charles and Diana section (the latter section had the most speculation, rumors and gossipy nature than the formal).

This book will take you into the constant drama of the Windsors and introduce you back to a family who even to this date can keep up with Henry VIII's theatrics. The things they do to avoid being a bad image, the constant fighting between each head and of course the innocent lives of the children who are ruined as a result.

The author did a great job trying to keep the chapters on one main character or two then explaining the main events of that timeframe. There was a large volley of characters to keep up with, pictures to eyeball and a humanizing of one of the greatest institutes of our time. At one time I felt sad for Prince Charles and yearned for all that he had been through but then when I found out the treatment that Princess Diana suffered and how he kept his Camilla close throughout his married years with even bedding her the night before he was to be married to Diana I found myself back on the Diana-side of the fence.

This book is to be read with a grain of salt but it will keep you updated to the antics of a people who consider themselves higher than all else. And this is going to sound gruesome but the original ending of the book was a letdown with the discussion of the argument for the throne being the closing of the book. Instead in the case of the book I had there was A Special Postscript that finished with a beautiful tribute to Diana after her death (a complete change of bashing her in the main book) and what she really meant to the House of Windsor. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Sep 15, 2014 |

flamingrosedrakon | Sep 15, 2014 |
Kitty Kelly puts together a fantastic biography of the current house of Windsor, as of 1995. Despite the objections of the family, Ms. Kelly cites 1000 plus interviews and sources for the book to put together a definitive guide that cuts through all of the rumors to get to the "truth" as best she can decipher it. ( )
  scartertn | Nov 19, 2013 |
Thoroughly enjoyable information about the House of Windsor. Nice family tree on the front and back cover to flip to while trying to figure out who was who at the beginning. Gave me a different perspective about all of them. ( )
  readingfiend | Apr 15, 2013 |
Really not very nice at all. She went out her way to write a string of nasty things about these people.
  carterchristian1 | Jul 27, 2010 |
"...Once in a while a family has to surrender itself to an outsider's account. A family can get buried in its own fairy dust, and this leads straight, in my opinion, to the unpacking of lies and fiction from its piddly shared scraps of inbred history..."
From The Stone Diaries
by Carol Shields
"I believe in aristocracy though, if that is the right word and if a democrat may use it. Not an aristocracy of power based upon rank and influence, but an aristocracy of the sensitive, the considerate and the plucky. Its members are to be found in all nations and classes and all through the ages and there is a secret understanding between them when they meet. They represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos."
From a 1941 essay by
E. M. Forster
To my husband John, who makes dreams come true.
If a cat may look on a king, as the English proverb goes, so can a Kitty. (Author's Note)
Princess Margaret strode out of the theater. (Chapter One)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446517127, Hardcover)

The killer quill of Kitty Kelley, who skewered Jackie Onassis, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Reagan, goes for royal blood in her latest tell-all biography, The Royals. Fans of the 1992 book Diana used to bash her in-laws--Andrew Morton's Diana: Her True Story--and Prince Charles's 1995 riposte--Jonathan Dimbleby's The Prince of Wales--will detect much familiar material. So will anyone who's ever read a newspaper. Even so, Kelley has a great eye for the salable quote and anecdote, and her book makes for handy one-stop gossip shopping.

Here are a few of the nasty allegations Kelley collects in a history of Britain's top dogs: though the royals may love their corgis more than their children and spouses, they pinch the poor pooches' posteriors to make them bark into the phone to amuse the royals at the other end of the line. Also, the Queen Mother may have been born out of wedlock, and her daughter, Queen Elizabeth, may have been conceived by artificial insemination.

There are dozens of other stinky zingers in Kelley's book, mostly from anonymous sources. The late Princess Diana comes off the best, even though Kelley suggests that she may have shoved her 58-year-old stepmother down the stairs. Diana met her last lover, Dodi, after The Royals went to press, so there's nothing in it about them--though Kelley does relate previous 100 m.p.h. chases and press encounters ending in gore. It was a long, sad story leading up to the last crash, and Kelley tells the family's worst enemies' account of it in a tone colder than the royals themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:42 -0400)

They are the most chronicled family in the world. Their every move attracts headlines. Scores of books have tried and failed to penetrate the royal facade. Now bestselling biographer Kitty Kelley has gone behind palace walls to provide the first three-dimensional, comprehensive, and even-handed portrait of the men and women who make up the royal family. Illuminating the Windsor's arrogance, naivete, and lust as well as hard work, dedication, and ability to survive the most humiliating disclosure, The Royals is Kitty Kelley's richest, most iconoclastic, historically significant, and compelling book.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible