Piranha by Clive Cussler

Piranha

by Clive Cussler

Other authors: Boyd Morrison

Series: Oregon Files (10)

313852,799 (4)27

A bit over the top, but Cussler fans will love it ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Co-authored with Boyd Morrison which gave the book a different feeling. Lacked action and suspense in the beginning but picked up in the end. Love the Oregon crew members and the plot was good but I found the special telescope to be unbelievable. Looking forward to the next installment. These are fun adventure reads with great humor. Some history involved in the storylines. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 6, 2018 |
A bit odd that the titular plot piece is only the third most interesting storyline in the book. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A boat carrying a scientist/photographer sinks in 1902 during the eruption of a volcano in Haiti. Before he dies, he gives his journal to the First Mste of the ship and mentions that he found Oz. The journal was sent to his sister in Germany, only to be inhierited by a great-nephew almost 100 years later. The nephew is also a brilliant scientist, working in US weaponry for the military. The nephew is presumed dead in what appeared to be a weapons test which went wrong. Meanwhile, several cargo and military ships disappear with the help of a power hungry female Venezuelan Navy Admiral. The crew of the modern mercenary ship, Oregon, is forced to fake its demise at the hands of the ruthless Venuzuelan Admiral. Things don't go easy from that point on for Juan Cabrillo and the Oregon crew. Someone has set up an elaborate spying network which can even track the Oregon and intercept its vital information network. The Oregon crew is up against something from which they have little clue how to protect themselves much less the world. I found this book fast paced and entertaining, as usual. A fairly far fetched plot. I found that one has to approach this series much as one approaches science fiction with a suspension of belief. Btw: the title has very little bearing on the story this time around. Characters were not highly developed. I felt like I was reading a story which combined a James Bond villain with an episode of the old MacGyver tv show. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Nov 8, 2016 |
From Amazon:

In 1902, the volcano Mt. Pelée erupts on the island of Martinique, wiping out an entire city of thirty thousand—and sinking a ship carrying a German scientist on the verge of an astonishing breakthrough. More than a century later, Juan Cabrillo will have to deal with that scientist’s legacy. During a covert operation, Cabrillo and the crew meticulously fake the sinking of the Oregon—but when an unknown adversary tracks them down despite their planning and attempts to assassinate them, Cabrillo and his team struggle to fight back against an enemy who seems to be able to anticipate their every move. They discover that a traitorous American weapons designer has completed the German scientist’s work, and now wields extraordinary power, sending the Oregon on a race against time to stop an attack that could lead to one man ruling over the largest empire the world has ever known.

My Thoughts:

Of all the series that Clive Cussler has written, The Oregon Files are my favorite. The characters are likable and beyond believable. If only the world worked that way:) The "technobabble" is rich and realistic. Cussler really makes one wonder where our technology is taking us. Only a minor flaw I could see...the bad guy's "toy" didn't operate like we were led to believe it would...but maybe that was a good thing . Otherwise this was exactly what I have come to expect...a very good read. Enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Cussler, Cliveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morrison, Boydsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon return in the extraordinary new novel in the #1 New York Times–bestselling series by the grand master of adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

During a covert operation, Cabrillo and the crew meticulously fake the sinking of the Oregon--but when an unknown adversary tracks them down despite their planning and attempts to assassinate them, Cabrillo and his team struggle to fight back against an enemy who seems to be able to anticipate their every move.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible