Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

31,49446725 (3.91)4 / 1317
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

Read (29)
Romans (10)

English (436)  Spanish (11)  Italian (7)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (466)
For Christmas, I ordered an mp3 player (Library of Classics) that was pre-loaded with 100 works of classic literature in an audio format. Each work is in the public domain and is read by amateurs, so the quality of the presentation is hit or miss.

This Victorian classic, written by Emily Bronte, is engaging and enjoyable for about the first two-thirds of the novel. At the point where young Lynton Heathcliff arrives at the Grange, however, the story devolves into virtually non-stop mewling, whining and puerile dialogue. The repetition becomes so annoying that had I been able to fast forward to its conclusion, I would have done so. It is a shame that such a well-regarded piece of classic literature contains such an off-putting segment of text.

Otherwise, the story contains a collection of very well developed characters with a captivating story arc that proceeds nicely up to the point of young Lynton’s arrival, at which point it grinds to a halt. ( )
  santhony | Mar 26, 2015 |
I am SO glad that most authors do not write in this style anymore. I only read this book because I am completing a reading challenge and I had to read a classic romance. I had tried reading book from this time period before and I didn't enjoy them so I knew this was going to be a difficult one for me. So many of the characters are overly dramatic and make horrible decisions. There were numerous times I wanted to throw my book out the window because the characters were just plain stupid. There was not one character I could relate to or even like. I was SO excited when I was finished with this book so that I could move on to another. It just solidified the fact that this style of book is not my cup of tea. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 20, 2015 |
The style of writing Bronteë has employed certainly made for an entertaining read, and i found myself completely immersed in the first four-fifths of the book. Unfortunately, I found the denouement to be trite and too hastily concluded. I found the psychological torment aspect of the book fascinating, so it was incredibly disappointed that the ending was a complete turnaround despite the years of turmoil in the preceding narrative. Overall a great read, and i'm definitely kicking myself for waiting this long to meet Cathering and Heathcliff! ( )
  aiturnizzle | Mar 11, 2015 |
A passionate tale of love, family secrets and revenge. Family, class and status impact the life paths of the two main characters, Cathy and Heathcliff, which occurs over the course of two decades. A must read from one of the Bronte sisters.
  cm37107 | Mar 8, 2015 |
I am sure every lit major has read this book! At times the sentence were too complex for my taste. I enjoyed the novel. It is very dark with very complex characters. At times I felt empaty and compassion for them and at others dislike. This book, it the opening of a cultural shift. This book talks about the dark side of English and western cultural. Values and beliefs that were so much part of the west are about to be questioned. ( )
  michaelbartley | Jan 25, 2015 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.
From the back of the 1940 edition:

Emily Bronte was primarily a poet (Matthew Arnold said of her "for passion, vehemence and grief she had no equal since Byron"). Yet her lasting fame is build on her first and only novel, Wuthering Heights, written but a year before her death at 29.
Wuthering Heights is a powerful story in the tradition of Dracula and Frankenstein. It's background is the rugged moorlands of the north of England,and her characters are strange mixture of savagery and gentleness. It has been well described as "the strangest love story ever told."

It has recently been released as a motion picture staring Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier and David Niven, and universally acclaimed press and public,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

4 2022

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,192,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible