Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

35,49851617 (3.91)4 / 1627
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore (fannyprice)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (484)  Spanish (12)  Italian (7)  German (3)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (517)
An excellent novel, and I really enjoyed it! I highly recommend this book. ( )
  RonTyler | Aug 11, 2017 |
Loved it, Heathcliff is a wonderful broken villain. Incredible the atmospheric analogies between the landscape and the characters - everything's dark, hopeless and obsessive. Only the ejaculations of Joseph are a real challenge for a non-native speaker. ( )
  DeusXMachina | Aug 7, 2017 |
Ok
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Wuthering Heights is a tumultuous ride through the life of Heathcliff, the Earnshaw family, and the Linton family. The story begins in the present (year 1801) with a new tenant, Mr. Lockwood, staying at Thrushcross Grange. He wanders over to meet his neighbors at Wuthering Heights and here comes across the master, Heathcliff. He is immediately taken aback by the man and the occupants of his house. Lockwood is instantly drawn to the situation and desiring to know more he pushes his housekeeper, Ellen Dean, to fill him in. Mrs. Dean is unable to start anywhere but when Heathcliff was a young child, discovered by the then master of Wuthering Heights, Mr. Earnshaw.

Mrs. Dean reveals that Heathcliff was desperately in love with Mr. Earnshaw’s daughter, Catherine. They had an intense and disastrous love affair, which was cut short by Heathcliff overhearing that Catherine planned to marry the neighbor’s well-to-do son, Edgar Linton. Prior to this devastating news, Heathcliff was able to overcome his repressed life at the hands of the Hindley Earnshaw’s hands, who took over as master after his father passed. Heathcliff disappears for many years, only to one day reappear as a wealthy man and takes up residence at Wuthering Heights. The current occupants of Hindley and Hareton (Hindley’s son) Earnshaw are at the mercy of Heathcliff, who will stop at nothing to inflict revenge on the people who ruined his life.

Heathcliff launches into a lengthy, diabolical plan to destroy the Earnshaw and Linton families. He has vowed to stop at nothing to rectify the wrongs he feels were done to him. Brontë creates an intense and often violent setting for all of the characters involved. The setting of the story lends itself to the desperate and lonely existence surrounding the residents of Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange. Eventually the story ends a year after Mr. Lockwood’s original request for the history of these homes, with a surprising twist of fate. My only issue with this novel was the servant Joseph’s speaking parts. I found it incredibly hard to understand his portrayed accent and typically skipped through these parts to avoid attempting to decipher the words. Brontë has truly written a masterpiece of romance, violence, despair, and the debris left over from the path of these emotions. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Jul 25, 2017 |
A fascinating and rather depressing story at time, the vernacular is sometimes hard to wade through. The plot is captivating, though, and much more interesting and less-traditional than many novelists of Emily Bronte's time. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
great book, great story, very love it.
daftar informasi

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,656,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible