Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë (Author), Emily Bronte

30,383None26 (3.91)4 / 1176
1001 (115) 1001 books (118) 19th century (901) 19th century literature (103) British (493) British literature (482) Bronte (280) classic (1,773) classic fiction (140) Classic Literature (212) classics (1,298) ebook (105) Emily Bronte (145) England (477) English (232) English literature (498) fiction (3,468) gothic (584) Heathcliff (102) literature (790) love (260) novel (654) own (167) read (406) Roman (110) romance (865) to-read (165) unread (195) Victorian (357) Yorkshire (155)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Manon Lescaut by abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.

English (418)  Spanish (9)  Italian (7)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (444)
Compelling listening, but hard to like most of the characters. Sure, he was passionately in love with that selfish Catherine, and vice-versa, but how did that cruel, abusive Heathcliff get to be considered a romantic figure? At least the ending wasn't as depressing as the rest of the book. Thank goodness I already knew the plot from my mother's copy of Plot Outlines of 100 Famous Novels. Aside from the fact that it's a classic, I was interested because part of the plot was used for the last storyline of the original soap opera version of Dark Shadows. (While Lara Parker's character was called 'Catherine,' Jonathan Frid's character was called 'Bramwell'. ( )
  JalenV | Apr 7, 2014 |
This is not one of my favorites of the classics. I have to say that I found most of the characters utterly miserable and mean spirited. I would probably not have persevered along until the end had it not been for the fact that I was also listening to the audio version of the book as I read along with the kindle book. The audio book was narrated by Patricia Routledge and I have to say her narration was superb. She actually made what would otherwise have been a miserable read, quite enjoyable. ( )
  Bookishhorseygal | Mar 18, 2014 |
I picked up this book because of all the acclaim it has received. Well, I found it extremely tedious and boring. Some of the writing was good, but for the most part I found myself dragging to get through it. Polite pass. ( )
  briandrewz | Feb 2, 2014 |
Magnífica y tortuosa historia de amor de la novelista romántica británica. Para lectores que disfrutan con historias en las que el amor tiene que sortear amargos obstáculos, pero es capaz de sobreponerse a todo.
  BibliotecaBoal | Jan 15, 2014 |
Wuthering Heights came highly recommended, but I just don't see it. There's clever writing all throughout from Emily Brontë though that alone is rarely good enough to keep me engaged. Mostly this is a book of irritating people being generally bothersome. I'm sure I'm completely missing the larger literary importance here since this is one of the classics, but for now I'm not impressed. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jan 2, 2014 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I should be troubled with.
1801 - Ik kom net terug van een bezoek aan mijn huisbaas - de enige in deze verlaten buurt die me zal storen.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.
From the back of the 1940 edition:

Emily Bronte was primarily a poet (Matthew Arnold said of her "for passion, vehemence and grief she had no equal since Byron"). Yet her lasting fame is build on her first and only novel, Wuthering Heights, written but a year before her death at 29.
Wuthering Heights is a powerful story in the tradition of Dracula and Frankenstein. It's background is the rugged moorlands of the north of England,and her characters are strange mixture of savagery and gentleness. It has been well described as "the strangest love story ever told."

It has recently been released as a motion picture staring Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier and David Niven, and universally acclaimed press and public,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

4 1964

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible