Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights (1847)

by Emily Brontë

36,79853417 (3.91)5 / 1673
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Bronwyn1334)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Bronwyn1334)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Hungry Hill by Daphne du Maurier (Anonymous user)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Bronwyn1334)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (499)  Spanish (13)  Italian (8)  German (3)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  All (535)
If Jane Austen is like The Beach Boys (or Paul McCartney), ruled by the gut and by the affections, and George Eliot is like Pink Floyd (or George Harrison), ruled by the mind and by the search for knowledge, then Emily Bronte is like The Rolling Stones (or John Lennon), ruled by the muscles, and the dark half.

She’s not so sociological as Eliot, but unlike Austen has this brutally honest way of laying bare the sheer insanity that people have over their tea.
2 vote smallself | Jul 18, 2018 |
How can I find and put together the suitable words and write a review about one of the most iconic creations in World Literature? One of those books that provoke such intense feelings that either you worship them or you utterly hate them. There is no middle ground. Every year, I revisit Wuthering Heights for two reasons. First, it is one of my personal Christmas traditions and secondly, I prepare extracts to use in class for my intermediate level students. This year, I finally felt confident enough to write a text. I will not call it a review, but a summary of what this masterpiece means for me, what I feel each time I gaze upon its title.

I was 12 when my mother made me a special gift. (I have a mother that gave me a book about self-destructive love and a father that gave me Crime and Punishment a year later. I know, they rock!) It was a thick volume with a dark cover. A cover as black as the night scene it depicted. A young couple running in the moors against the wind, and a black, foreboding mansion looming in the background. To this day, that cherished Greek edition of Emily's only novel is the most beautiful I've ever seen. I read it in a single day. I remember it was a windy day, a summer torrent rain that lasted all afternoon. It left me speechless. It shaped me. It shaped my reading preferences, it shaped my love for eerie, dark, doomed, haunting stories with twisted anti-heroes. It even shaped the choice of my profession.

When I was 15, one of the best teachers I've ever had gave us a project. She divided us into groups and asked us to make a presentation of our favourite book. She put me in a group with two classmates. Such kind and charming souls they were but would never open a book if their lives depended on it. I didn't care, I was happy because I'd get to choose the book. We left our teacher crying buckets in the classroom, marking a heroic A+ on our papers. During the 3rd year in university, we had to complete individual assignments. I'll let you guess the theme and the book I chose. My professor had to interrupt me at some point, kindly but firmly. ''Yes, thank you, Amalia, this is great, but there are others waiting, you know.'' Were they? Anyway, you get the point. My level of obsession with this novel equal Heathcliff's obsession with Cathy.

Emily Brontë's novel may not be for everyone. It doesn't matter. Nothing is for everyone. But, she has created an eternal tale -or nightmare- of a love that is destructive, dark, twisted and stranger than all the other sweet, lovey-dovey stories that have been written. She has created one of the most iconic couples in Literature, she has provided the first and finest example of the Anti-hero in the face of Heathcliff. She has ruined many girls' expectations, because who wouldn't want to be loved as fiercely as Cathy was? (For years, my notion of the ideal man was Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff in the 1992 film. The best adaptation of the novel, with Juliette Binoche as Cathy) How many writers who have written only one novel can claim to have accomplished all these?

One of the reasons I became a teacher was to have the opportunity to teach this book. It is my greatest satisfaction when I see its impact on my teenage students. They are familiar with the bleak and twisted tales of our times, nothing shocks them anymore. They love it unanimously, it is a rare case where boys and girls love the same book equally. So, mission accomplished.

''I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!'' For me, this book is my soul. It lies there, making the question ''What is your favourite book?'' the easiest ever.

P.S. Please, God, when I die, put me in a sector where I can meet Emily. You can keep Shakespeare, Austin, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. I prefer long talks with a disturbed, fragile, wild girl... ( )
2 vote AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
Very few novels have intrigued me as much as "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte has, and I have read many great books in my life. It captures a significant theme of the Victorian Era, one that so many writers chose to overlook: death, destruction, and melancholy gardens sprout all around us, and we inevitably consume their fruits. Among other authors, Emily Bronte transformed the faux pas of a bad ending into an approachable subject. Her novel helped revolutionize the overall tone of the literature of her day.
It was originally published in 1847, and captures an authentic touch of daily life in that time-period. There are unique touches that bring to mind beauty, such as architecture and the comfort of a fireplace; there are realistic drawbacks that remind the reader that there is no true time of perfection, such as prejudice, abuse, and premature death. Each flaw has a story, and every character has a purpose... which is why less than twenty people can be seen from the beginning to the end.
"Wuthering Heights" is steeped in melancholy and draped with woe. The story of a boy who falls in love and loses hope crafts an understanding of the phrase "too little, too late". His name is Heathcliff, and is the main focus of the entire story.
He is abused and neglected after his adoptive father passes, outcasted and named a "g*psy" and "bastard" due to his uncertain heritage. He resents most of his house mates, excluding the girl who opened and tore his heart: Catherine Earnshaw.
Readers learn and discover the truth about Heathcliff through memories recalled by Nelly, the house maid, a majority of the time. By the end, one is left wondering whether they pity, love, or hate Heathcliff, leaving many with a sense of familiar dread (this time, in literature rather than reality).
This book, though disturbing at times, is my favourite. The year that I first read it was the year I reread it 15 other times. It truly has a certain magnetism that pulled me to it, and for that reason, I give it a 5/5 star rating. ( )
  Bronwyn1334 | Jul 6, 2018 |
As a relatively well-educated person, I of course knew about Emily Bronte’s "Wuthering Heights," but I’d never gotten around to reading it until now. I’m glad I did, as it is quite a magnificent novel about passionate love, social class divisions and the effects of the actions of one generation on subsequent ones. I’ve read about the doomed love story, perhaps best captured in the film starring Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon, but here’s a secret that nobody ever mentions: Heathcliff is a monster. Truly. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jun 20, 2018 |
“But no brutality disgusted her: I suppose she has an innate admiration for it, if only her precious person were secure from injury!”

After gathering my thoughts, it occurred to me this novel could have succinctly been titled "Revenge"! Wuthering Heights sounds far more dreamy and romantic though. Readers, fasten your seat-belts because there are few instances of love or even friendship, that aren't driven by some selfish or retaliatory motivation. Actually using the terms love or friendship, may be a stretch for this wretched story.

A paranormal event revealed in the beginning chapters sucked me in and telling most of the story from the pov of the housekeeper was quite effective. Most of the characters qualities ranged from abusive to silly, and that left me wishing for a character I could truly empathize with and cheer on. Other than the shock value of the themes it contained for the time period, I was left wondering why this is still such a popular story.

Joanne Froggatt gave an amazing performance for the Audible version of this book. Her narration is worth five stars. I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially for those rereading the book who want to experience the story on a different level. Since I am technically rating the story, I cannot go beyond 3 stars.

Since on cannot help but compare all the books by the Brontë sisters, I'll conclude by saying Jane Eyre still maintains its status as my favorite, just as much for the writing, as the likability of the main character. ( )
  Lisa805 | Jun 3, 2018 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,312,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible