Wuthering Heights (Bantam Classics) by Emily…

Wuthering Heights (Bantam Classics) (original 1847; edition 1981)

by Emily Bronte (Author)

40,76857425 (3.9)5 / 1763
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
Member:mamarracq
Title:Wuthering Heights (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Emily Bronte (Author)
Info:Bantam Classics (1983), Edition: 1st, 315 pages

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (Headinherbooks_27)

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (535)  Spanish (15)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (575)
I finally got around to reading Wuthering Heights, originator of the dark, handsome distant, and slightly abusive male love interest. Of course, the story is more than that, with a fairy like leading lady, and a gossipy servant telling an outsider everything and a setting that fits the story perfectly.

The book is well written, especially the locations - from the dangerous moors to the houses of the two very different families. The characters themselves were well written, and I'd say stereotypical, except that in the cases of Heathcliff and Catherine, they SET the precedence.

As for the plot, I'd sum it up as "How to raise children into absolute horrible creatures". Each of the characters were the sum of how they were raised, from Heathcliff, who was only loved by Catherine, to Linton, who was whiner who was alternately spoiled by his mother, and verbally abused by his father.

Cathrine, the instigator, is a capricious being, not understanding how her words and actions both hurt her husband and her lover.

And last, we have Ellen Dean, the old servant, who was there for the majority of the story. Ellen is quick to betray confidences, tell the new tenant the story of the family, and be extremely inconsistent in how she handles a situation.

Everybody in this story is quick to get angry, slow to forgive, and seems to only live for hurting each other. Which isn't to say you shouldn't read it, but its not the dark and steamy romance that its made out to be in popular culture. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 15, 2020 |
Glad I read this, as a recent television adaptation covered too small a section to give a view of everything I had heard about Heathcliff.
  jgoodwll | Aug 30, 2020 |
I read this in college but didn't remember much of it. I confess to skimming much of the second half this time (maybe I did then, too).

It's an interesting story, vividly painted, and I don't dislike it, but I felt things started to drag after Cathy(1) died. The second generation just wasn't as compelling, and the setup for the eventual rapprochement between the family branches seemed to take forever. I don't feel that Heathcliff is supposed to "make sense" as a character, but the malevolence got wearisome after a couple of hundred pages.

Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, and try smaller bites. It has some aspects in common with Moby-Dick that I might like to explore at some point. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Ward, CandaceEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitley, John S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Blackbirds (1991.1)
Everyman's Library (Fiction 243)

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible