Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe…

Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1847; edition 2009)

by Emily Brontë, Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)

32,12047424 (3.91)4 / 1374
Title:Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Emily Brontë
Other authors:Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2009), Edition: Deluxe ed, Paperback, 352 pages

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

Read (29)
Romans (10)

English (446)  Spanish (11)  Italian (7)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (475)
Wuthering Heights is one of those books which are reasonably interesting when you are reading them, but not enticing enough to pick up again if you put them down. Story moves forward quite well, and writing style is full of soliloquies worth admiration, but reader is left with nothing when finished reading the book. One problem with that is all characters are awful.

There is no love shown between Heathcliff and Catherine, at least not something anyone can guess, because they fought often and whatever tenderness was between them wasn't unusual for any two characters within the book. Despite no sign of love, they were in love apparently, to maddening degree. Catherine married Edger Linton voluntarily, however, he is somehow the villain of the story abhorred by both Catherine and Heathcliff. She didn't even attempt to divorce for God's sake. It appears that two main lovers delighted in unfulfilled love and agony rather than trying any reasonable means to achieve the union.

Little Catherine is not really stopped from visiting Linton, and all attempts are half-hearted, even when it is obvious that she is going to dangerous path. No example is made of experience of Linton's mother who married Heathcliff against the family's wishes and suffered. In the end, even little Catherine's and Linton's marriage is considered a viable option. It seems everyone is in self-destructive mode with no semblance of reasonable behaviour. Of course, behaviour of little Catherine borders on idiocy.

Lastly, I have problems with naming. Writer was so short of names that there are Catherine's and Linton's and Heathcliff's and all permutations of those names. Wasn't difficult to keep track but was quite annoying to follow.

In summary, book is probably still worthwhile because writing style is interesting. Story and character leaves you cold and I wasn't sad to have anyone died really. ( )
  ashishg | Nov 30, 2015 |
I read this book as a challenge I set for myself. My readers and friends voted for a book to read in May, and Wuthering Heights was the book they picked. I didn't do one of my normal reviews for this, so I won't be posting it directly on Goodreads. It's long, ranty, and not very nice. So you've been warned. You can find it in full here: http://alifeamongthepages.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/review-sorta-wuthering-height... ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
What I thought this book would be and what it actually turned out like were quite different. It's not a love story, not in any traditional sense of the term. Heathcliff is no brooding yet romantic hero, he's almost antihero material. I also wasn't expecting the manner in which it was told, as the story told by the housekeeper to the tenant, with some observations of the present breaking up the narrative. It made for a slightly odd story, as at times you knew more about the story than the people in it.
I'm not sure I ever really got what made Cathy tick, what made her make some really bad decisions that went on to change the lives of Edgar, Isabella and Heathcliff, as well as her own and had ramifications for the next generation as well. I found her difficult to understand and very difficult to feel very much sympathy for. Heathcliff I had a little more sympathy for, seeing he did have a hard upbringing and he thought he'd lost his true love, but that he should then turn out quite so vindictive and cruel didn't necessarily seem to follow. I also don;t have any truck with blaming your childhood or your parents for your current problems, it fails to hold any water after a while. So while I wanted to know what happened, I can't say I was at all upset that this did not have a happy ending for the older generation, neither really deserved it and both went out of their way to court unhappiness. That the next generation was making changes for the better was more positive, but the route by which that was achieved was, again, somewhat contrived. It all seemed to involve a lot of about faces in attitudes and trying to be something the characters were not.
All of which makes it sound like I didn't enjoy it - I did. It was far more enjoyable than I expected it to be, I just can;t say I'd want to sit down and pass the time with any of the characters, except, perhaps, Nelly Dean, she seemed to be the sole voice of reason and stability in the entire tale. She, at least, deserved her happy ending. ( )
1 vote Helenliz | Oct 4, 2015 |
While I get my kicks from vengeance stories (Count of Monte Cristo blew my mind at the extent of his revenge) and can understand Heathcliff's cruelty given society's insistence upon his position/worth in life (and the consequential loss of his soul devouring love), everyone else is so goddamn foolish I feel his pain at being robbed of the joy from their misery - like flies to manure. Bummer when classics ain't all that. ( )
  dandelionroots | Sep 24, 2015 |
A few of our group were revisiting Wuthering Heights this month, as most had read it in years past, but a classic such as this tends to offer up a little more of itself with each read.
Traditionally, the sense of place encompasses most readers of this novel and the isolation and barrenness of the moors sets the dark mood no matter how many times you read it.

But our discussion fell mostly on the clear class distinctions and the cruel manner the characters had towards each other. We wondered at the Brontes, their way of life and the amount of biographical content within the book.
It was generally agreed that this was a wonderfully written story, even though the dark tone throughout never really let up. The author has written a timeless classic that seems to have survived the generations and still stirs the heart and the mind today.

Our group questioned as to whether Wuthering Heights was a love story or a tragedy. The answer is sure to vary with every reader … but which ever you decide, you could never fail to find the truly timeless and enduring appeal of this masterpiece.

Monday Night Book Club ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Aug 18, 2015 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper
"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine
"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas
a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

4 2069

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,965,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible