Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe…

Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1847; edition 2009)

by Emily Brontë, Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)

30,98145525 (3.91)4 / 1235
Member:IreneAdler79
Title:Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Emily Brontë
Other authors:Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2009), Edition: Deluxe ed, Paperback, 352 pages

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Author) (1847)

Romans (10)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Manon Lescaut by abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described

English (428)  Spanish (10)  Italian (6)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (456)
Apparently Wuthering Heights was initially thought to be such a publishing risk that Emily Brontë was asked to pay some of the publication costs. I can understand why I think. With the exception of Nelly, these characters are not very likable. I was surprised at how I could despise Cathy or Catherine at times and then feel sympathy a minute later. I did not like how spoiled the women were in this book but that is more a topic on how they are raised. I did not like Heathcliff’s demeanor. He is not the ‘bad boy’ that is misunderstood and can change if only loved. I did not like the manipulation that all the characters played against one another. And yet I did end up liking the book. I believe this is because of its audacity at what story it tells. This is not a romance story, this is a story full of pride and hate and resentment and vengefulness. It portrays the darker side of humanity, and also our fragility. I’m still taking this book in, as it is a sort of shock to the system. I certainly did not expect it. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 2, 2014 |
Sooooooo. . . Wuthering Heights.

I’m not entirely sure where I came up with this idea, but I was under the impression that this was supposed to be some kind of epic love story. It’s so not. Or, if it is, there’s an extremely thin line between love and hate. Like, practically non-existent.

After a teensie bit of research, I found out that the major themes of Wuthering Heights really revolve around Jealousy and Vengeance, rather than Love. This makes WAY more sense.

The characters in this book are horrible. They’re hateful, wretched, vile creatures . . .and they had me totally glued to the pages. I was all like, “What unspeakable acts of cruelty will they bestow upon one another next?! (flip, flip, flip).” It was mildly addicting.

And though I anticipated having a bit of trouble reading this, I didn’t struggle with the language nearly as much as I thought I would (with the exception of Joseph. Does anyone have any idea what that dude was saying?!). Did it stretch the boundaries of my vocabulary? Sure it did. But there’s nothing wrong with learning a few new words. Okay. A bunch of new words.

Overall, I wouldn’t exactly say that I enjoyed reading Wuthering Heights, but I was most definitely entertained. If you’re looking to dip your toes into the pool of classics, I would recommend wading around in this one. Just don’t hold your breath if you’re looking for any romance. ( )
3 vote dkgarner95 | Aug 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoy a lot of 19th century literature but I can't say I warmed to the main characters Cathy and Heathcliff. I felt that they had no redeeming qualities whatsoever! The secondary characters are what made the book for me. I couldn't see the torid romance that everyone else describes. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |
One of the books I brought back from Comox, I'd forgotten just how unpleasant almost everyone in this book is. The bulk of it is narrated by the servant to a renter at Thruscross Grange, 4 miles from Wuthering Heights. The multiple generations (with repeated names and switching between referring to people by just first or last or title) were hard to keep apart. No earthly idea who would ever find Heathcliff attractive, he's just terrible: vindictive, mean, controlling, abusive, no matter that it's "passion" making him do it. Yes, he was mistreated, but still. And the women seem pretty much just spoiled and petulant and selfish, until they become objects of pity as they get abused by the men. One nteresting note: I was reading this just after going on some long hikes, the 4 miles between the two houses were a distance that I could relate to hiking (I was a bit surprised that sometimes they'd be able to cover it as fast as they did). ( )
  silentq | Jul 22, 2014 |
Read this book. Forget the movie with Lawrence Olivier and Merle Oberon with the outrageous overacting of Olivier. Heathcliff and Kathy form a bond in Bronte's novel that still lives in my memory even though I have read this over five years ago. A very compelling story. The Bronte sisters certainly had talent. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I should be troubled with.
1801 - Ik kom net terug van een bezoek aan mijn huisbaas - de enige in deze verlaten buurt die me zal storen.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.
From the back of the 1940 edition:

Emily Bronte was primarily a poet (Matthew Arnold said of her "for passion, vehemence and grief she had no equal since Byron"). Yet her lasting fame is build on her first and only novel, Wuthering Heights, written but a year before her death at 29.
Wuthering Heights is a powerful story in the tradition of Dracula and Frankenstein. It's background is the rugged moorlands of the north of England,and her characters are strange mixture of savagery and gentleness. It has been well described as "the strangest love story ever told."

It has recently been released as a motion picture staring Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier and David Niven, and universally acclaimed press and public,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

4 1991

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible