Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe…

Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1847; edition 2009)

by Emily Brontë, Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)

33,13749721 (3.91)4 / 1452
Member:IreneAdler79
Title:Wuthering Heights: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Emily Brontë
Other authors:Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2009), Edition: Deluxe ed, Paperback, 352 pages

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore (fannyprice)

Read (30)
Romans (10)

English (467)  Spanish (12)  Italian (7)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (497)
In terms of a concise review of this literary classic, I don't think anyone could do better than Dante Gabriel Rossetti, as quoted in Wikipedia: "A fiend of a book – an incredible monster ... The action is laid in hell, – only it seems places and people have English names there."

Wuthering Heights is a strange book about the members of the Earnshaw family and their few associates--isolated people who live on the moors of northern England. They are not shy about hurling verbal abuse at each other and openly wishing for certain among them to die. Into this morass the Earnshaw father brings a laconic, dark boy he names Heathcliff. The boy is unloved and treated as a servant, but he does develop a close connection to the teenage Earnshaw daughter Cathy. When Cathy marries another, Heathcliff goes away and comes back wealthy, but more diabolical than before. Heathcliff's revenge has far-ranging effects, even into the second generation. Eventually, Heathcliff finds an unorthodox way to reunite with his beloved.

Some regard Wuthering Heights as a love story, but what struck me most in this reading (I had read the book years ago) was how toxic all the characters are to one another. The moors may be a place of wild, unspoiled beauty, but isolation and bad weather seem to bring out the worst in people.

Recommended as a classic work of English literature, but not necessarily as an enjoyable read. ( )
  akblanchard | May 11, 2016 |
ugh! worst book ever written! all i wanted to do the whole time i was reading it was tear it up, burn it and repeat the process! my mother in law works for the department of education. We share books, so I let her read it. She hated it! Her only comment "I didn't like it because of the way that one guy 'Joesoph' spoke." And i agree with her he made that whole book confusing as shit! ( )
  ShelbyFink | Apr 28, 2016 |
This book has so much hype so I expected it to be amazing. Boy was I let down! I didn't really care for this book at all. And people say Heathcliff and Catherine's love was so epic, but he was a horrible person who did nothing but torment others. I don't know, maybe I just didn't get it, but I wasn't impressed in the slightest. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
So, that was Wuthering Heights huh. Well, I didn't love it. I thought the introduction of the story was almost comical, the way Heathcliff and Mr Lockwood's interaction envelops. Of course, this isn't a particularly funny story. I realized early on that I didn't like even one character, and this didn't change throughout (if anything, I was just over and over again reminded by how unlikeable they all were). But for the first half or the novel, this didn't hinder my enjoyment of the story. I didn't care for the characters, I didn't care what happened to them, but I still enjoyed the reading experience for some reason. I don't know, maybe it was the way it was written like Nelly told you the story. Anyway, it was entertainment still but after the halfway point I started feeling incredibly frustrated with the characters and the way that they behaved. Spoiled, gullible, egoistic, mean, awful, just keep on adding similar adjectives because I'm sure you'll find at least one character it matches with. At first the unlikeable characters did lessen/limit my affection, but not my enjoyment. But after the halfway point it didn't even do that, I think the change really happened when the story changed focus to Cathy. Either way, I did find myself growing warmer towards the novel in the last chapters when nearing the conclusion.

I will say that although there were parts I enjoyed with reading Wuthering Heights, for the most part I found it incredibly hard to care for any of the characters, I thought it was a tragic story but not sad - meaning I didn't feel affected. In my case, Wuthering Heights was not heartbreaking because I never connected enough with the story to have my heart broken.

The ending sort of reminded me of a Disney "Happily ever after" ending. The villain dead, the couple happy and free. Oh, and I have to mention one last thing. SO ANNOYING USE OF NAMES! Oh god, it confused me so much when different names - the married name, the surname, the title name, I don't even know - were used for the same character. At first I couldn't at all follow who was who, and even how many characters were included. After getting the hang of it, and realizing the same character had multiple names it started to really get on my nerves. Whyyy, oh why would you do that, Emily. I feel like this is a classics thing in general though, but I could be wrong. It confuses me either way and I wish they'd just choose one name so I don't have to run in circles.
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff beat Romeo and Juliet, and anyone who has loved ever, the passion between them had always kept me up at night, thinking about that unconditional love, how their love doomed them into death and misery, still it is one of my favorite love stories of all time, if you grew older you would appreciate that kind of passion much more, young kids rarely understand it, though they are likely to experience such passion more than grown ups do, for me such passion, such love is a legend, that is always close to my heart. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book or one of its (movie) adaptations, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible