Wuthering Heights (Oxford World's…

Wuthering Heights (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1847; edition 2008)

by Emily Bronte, Helen Small, Ian Jack (Editor)

34,93351517 (3.91)4 / 1613
Member:dbrandon
Title:Wuthering Heights (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Emily Bronte
Other authors:Helen Small, Ian Jack (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 202 pages
Rating:***1/2

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore (fannyprice)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (482)  Spanish (12)  Italian (7)  German (3)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (515)
A fascinating and rather depressing story at time, the vernacular is sometimes hard to wade through. The plot is captivating, though, and much more interesting and less-traditional than many novelists of Emily Bronte's time. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
This is one of those classics that I've never rread, and now I know why. I thought I knew the3 story since I've seen the 1939 movie starring Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon probably 50 times. But, of course, Hollywood left a lot out when they made the film.

The movie is a Gothic tale of obsessive love, and maybe the physical beauty of the stars who played Kathy and Heathcliff, covered over what to me, is just a sick story of feminine submission and male abuse. The prose if over wrought and the plot, especially in the last third of the book just defies belief. Forget the novel & watch the movie. ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 12, 2017 |
There's a notable "who am I to say--?" when rating a book so indisputably (and rightfully) in the canon as this one, so I ought to put the disclaimer on that this is clearly a five-star book doing some amazing things, fantastically constructed, absorbing, and with some exceptionally lasting characters. I enjoyed reading it fully, but my affection is ultimately of the three-star sort. It was a little like watching a car crash. Pile-up, really. Fascinating as the characters are, they're absolutely brutal and impossible to like, and there's not much solace to be gained from it. I don't know why it's widely toted as such, but this is not a love story, and I'm not sure where that idea came from. It is a series of heterosexual couplings, perhaps, but there's not much in the way of love. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This is a story of the Earnshaw and the Linton family who are quite isolated in their homes of Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange. The homes represent the opposition that exists throughout the novel. There is a lot of death in the book but there is also the hopeful happy ending. That being said, I did feel the ending was a little bit off for me. The sudden decline and death of Heathcliff didn't make sense as it was presented. I see the need for the author to kill him off, I just didn't feel that the way made any sense. The novel is also told through the voice of a stranger who takes up a temporary residence and observes this dysfunctional family and the servant who has lived since childhood with these children. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 6, 2017 |
Seldom must a book have differed between its commonly held perception and its actuality, as much as Wuthering Heights. I came to this book from the camp of the former with some reservations about some doomed love affair on the Yorkshire moors. Perhaps the realisation of how far removed any preconceptions were added to the subsequent enjoyment of the story.

Wuthering Heights is a story of revenge fed by obsession crossing over the generations of two families. And it is much more gothic than romantic. The plot rolls along with the drama rising and falling. Ok, few if any of the characters elicit much sympathy but they are complex and so well drawn that it is difficult not to be drawn into their isolated world or to anticipate what happens next.

Ultimately it's all madness. Grave tampering madness. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,013,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible