Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering Heights (original 1847; edition 2011)

by Emily Bronte, Tracy Dockray (Illustrator)

31,40746025 (3.91)4 / 1311
Member:Joanitaster
Title:Wuthering Heights
Authors:Emily Bronte
Other authors:Tracy Dockray (Illustrator)
Info:Harper Design (2011), Hardcover, 408 páginas
Rating:***

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Author) (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (shesinplainview)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre Dumas (peleiades22)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (nu-bibliophile)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Drood by Dan Simmons (caittilynn)

Read (29)
Romans (10)

English (432)  Spanish (10)  Italian (7)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (461)
I am sure every lit major has read this book! At times the sentence were too complex for my taste. I enjoyed the novel. It is very dark with very complex characters. At times I felt empaty and compassion for them and at others dislike. This book, it the opening of a cultural shift. This book talks about the dark side of English and western cultural. Values and beliefs that were so much part of the west are about to be questioned. ( )
  michaelbartley | Jan 25, 2015 |
Description: In a house haunted by memories, the past is everywhere ...As darkness falls, a man caught in a snowstorm is forced to shelter at the strange, grim house Wuthering Heights. It is a place he will never forget. There he will come to learn the story of Cathy: how she was forced to choose between her well-meaning husband and the dangerous man she had loved since she was young. How her choice led to betrayal and terrible revenge - and continues to torment those in the present. How love can transgress authority, convention, even death. And how desire can kill.

Thoughts: I really expected to love this book. I mean, it is the most widely available book written by a woman in the world (according to a survey of libraries). I have loved classics by other women writers, even Emily's own sister. This is one of those books that everyone raves about- the "greatest love story ever."

WHAT? This certainly isn't my idea of a great love story. The characters are all insane or very nearly detestable. There is hardly a single one that I cheered for; any who weren't irredeemibly wicked were so priggish or self-centered that they were almost as horrid. And the almost constant mental and physical violence was not only tiring, but pretty damn disturbing.

So why in the world did I keep reading? I just had to finish it. I felt I owed it to Ms. Bronte. Because, no matter how disturbing this book was or how despicable the characters, Emily Bronte did write an amazing book. To think of the time period in which this was written and the opinion of women writers, the fact that she had the guts to put this down on paper and have it published (even under a pen name), is astounding. The creativity and passion with which she conveys the story is captivating. I mean, it's an appalling story which will probably haunt me for quite a while, but it is an amazing accomplishment.

I just wish I didn't dislike it so much...

3 stars, mostly for sheer chutzpah

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3187347 ( )
1 vote leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |
A wonderful classic novel that I wish I had read sooner!

Synopsis:

Wuthering Heights is set in the 19th century in the Yorkshire moors, and follows several generations of the families who live there. It follows the romantic and destructive relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff, the young orphan Catherine’s father adopts. Heathcliff is badly treated by Catherine’s older brother, and departs the Heights, feeling his love for Catherine is not returned. Heathcliff returns many years later and proceeds to extract revenge on all who wronged him in his childhood.

Review:

Wuthering Heights is a novel I’ve always wanted to read, I’ve had a copy of the book for a long time and it has lived on my bookshelves for years, but I've never gotten around to reading it. I so wish I’d read it earlier, it’s a fantastic, haunting book and really is a great example of classic English literature.

Jane Eyre has been one of my favourite novels since I was a little girl, so I just loved examining the similarities between it and Wuthering Heights, and there are quite a few. Both novels look at things not often talked about in Victorian literature, and the nature of the violent relationships highlighted in Wuthering Heights, was I'm sure quite shocking at the time.

Something that really interested me about the novel is the structure, it’s written in a sort of Russian doll style, with a narrative within a narrative, and I love that you sometimes see the same thing from different viewpoints, because it calls into question the reliability of the narrator, and I do love an unreliable narrator. It’s such a wonderful book, the story is so powerful and it has all the tropes of Gothic and Victorian fiction, it’s a fabulous fabulous book.

Whilst this is my first time reading it, I actually picked it up as a result of a feminism module I'm taking at University, I found it so fascinating to analysis the novel under the concept of feminism, the depicts of domestic violence and the role Isabella Linton plays in the novel – a character which I believe is very overlooked, made it a really fascinating topic. I think one of the interesting things about a novel like Wuthering Heights is that it’s hard to approach it without any preconceived notions of the story. Most people will have seen at least one of the many film and TV adaptations, or perhaps read a retelling of the story or even just have a vague idea of the romantic story of Heathcliff and Catherine. But Wuthering Heights is much more than just a passionate love story, it is brutal, harrowing and destructive and features more revenge, anger and supernatural elements than anything else. This edition also has loads of background information, essays and reviews from the time so if you’re interested in looking at the novel in more detail, this is definitely a great edition for that!

Wuthering Heights has influenced so many popular novels today it is a must read for practically everyone, but if you’re a fan of Gothic fiction, Jane Eyre, or the old unreliable narrator, I urge you to grab this one off the shelf next! ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Dec 10, 2014 |
"Humiseva harju" on kiihkeydessään yllättävän moderni klassikko. Heatcliffin ja Catherinen mielipuolinen rakkaustarina kestää aikaa hyvin ja onkin yksi suosikeistani. Kirjan mielenkiintoisuutta lisää vielä se, että se on lähes yksinomaan eristyksissä eläneen viktoriaanista aikakautta eläneen naisen kirjoittama. Tarina on sähköinen ja elävä ja sen päähenkilöt ovat molemmat epämiellyttäviä. Silti heidän rakkautensa toisiinsa on heidän parhain puolensa ja saa heidät lukijallekin rakkaaksi. Heidän rakkautensa ikään kuin kumoaa heidän pahuutensa ja itsekkyytensä. ( )
  Hankala | Dec 10, 2014 |
Perheen kasvatti Heathcliff ja perheen tytär Catherine rakastuvat myrskyisästi. Perhe ei hyväksy epäsäätyistä suhdetta ja Catherine päätyy järkiavioliittoon naapurikartanon pojan kanssa. Heathcliff ei ota asiaa hyvin ja vannoo kostoa niin Catherinelle ja tämän perheelle. Tarina kertoo tuhoavista ihmissuhteista ja siitä, miten niiden voima ulottuu sukupolvien ja kuoleman rajan yli. ( )
  aakaroliina | Dec 8, 2014 |
"wild, confused; disjointed and improbable"
added by GYKM | editExaminer

"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with edition which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.
From the back of the 1940 edition:

Emily Bronte was primarily a poet (Matthew Arnold said of her "for passion, vehemence and grief she had no equal since Byron"). Yet her lasting fame is build on her first and only novel, Wuthering Heights, written but a year before her death at 29.
Wuthering Heights is a powerful story in the tradition of Dracula and Frankenstein. It's background is the rugged moorlands of the north of England,and her characters are strange mixture of savagery and gentleness. It has been well described as "the strangest love story ever told."

It has recently been released as a motion picture staring Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier and David Niven, and universally acclaimed press and public,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

In 19th century Yorkshire, the passionate attachment between a headstrong young girl and a foundling boy brought up by her father causes disaster for them and many others, even in the next generation.

4 2017

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,663,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible