Second Street Station: A Mary Handley…

Second Street Station: A Mary Handley Mystery (edition 2015)

by Lawrence H. Levy

Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Second Street Station: A Mary Handley Mystery
Authors:Lawrence H. Levy
Info:Broadway Books (2015), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy

English (76)  Piratical (1)  All (77)
Mary Hadley is hired by the Brooklyn police department to solve a murder, but they are expecting her to fail, but she is determined to prove them wrong. Charles Goodrich, the man that was killed used to work for Thomas Edison. Could Edison be involved with this murder or someone else as famous as him like J. P. Morgan or and Nikola Tesla? And, why would anyone murder Charles Goodrich. Did he know something about Edison that could damage the man's reputation?

This book was a pleasant surprise. I started to read it last night and finished it this morning. I like reading historical fiction with real people in it and it was interesting to read a murder mystery that involved Edison and Tesla.

Mary Hadley has always been the odd one out in her family so becoming a policewoman seems perfect for her, especially since she wanted to be a detective when she was little and witnessed a murder. It was sometimes I bit frustrating to read how good she was and special and there are several times in this book that everything is so bloody convenient for her, her knowledge of jujitsu for instance or that she had a piece of glass on her to defend herself. And, every time she happened to be at the right place at the right time. Like the murder, she witnessed as a child or when the parents of a friend she knew were killed or when she happens to stop by the police station and saves a man's life, etc. I mean come one. Is it something I'm really having a problem with when it comes to in a story is when everything is convenient for the main character throughout the book. It takes away a bit of the fun of reading.

But, despite that was the book enjoyable, the ending surprising, I did like Mary and I wouldn't mind reading the next book in the series.

I received the book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an advanced reading copy via the author through LibraryThing. Thank you so much! I couldn't put it down. It moved quickly but not so quickly that you didn't get attached to the characters. This story is full of historic figures doing just what people did back then. And Mary is a true spitfire. Truly a heroine worth reading more about! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 6, 2017 |
A Mary Handley Mystery -Book 1... I was intrigued when I saw this series was based on Mary Handley, the first woman detective in Brooklyn, New York and I thought, how can this not be good?? Unfortunately thought it wasn't. I couldn't even finish it and I ended up DNF'ing it at Chapter 11. It was so slow and boring. I also could not get into the story or the characters because of the awful third person writing style mixed in throughout the book, i.e. "The bowler hat went to...; Sunken eyes dragged himself...; Number three stepped to the rear..." It was just very irritating & it made the characters feel flat and disconnected. The main character, Mary Handley, was about the only thing I did like about the book. This could be a decent series if it was executed properly. Maybe there will be some improvement as the series progresses. I won the second book, Brooklyn on Fire, in a FirstReads giveaway so I guess we'll see. : ) ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a quick running mystery, involving a rare chance for a lady in 1888 to be a detective, featuring some notable notables like Thomas Edison, JP Morgan, etc. A good story, full of secrets and corruption. Mary Handley is all-around brilliant, just like her contemporary Sherlock Holmes, but with fewer advantages. My only complaint, and it's slight, is that here and there the authors tells instead of showing, which is something I have trouble with when I write, so now I'm sensitive to it. ( )
  PensiveCat | Aug 5, 2016 |
Second Street Station-Lawrence H. Levy
This is my first book by Lawrence H. Levy and its a sensation. I love the
Mary Handley character. She's smart, witty, strong willed and determined. I like her spirit, her sense of humor and the fact that she's a woman with brains. She was bold, beautiful and brash. I like the way it begins on the train with the Frenchman, the Bowler Hat and the little blond girl. Follow along as things develop between the little blond girl, the Bowler Hat and with the Frenchman. See the interesting and complicated people they meet along the way. Find out the secrets the hide. Follow Mary Handley as she tries to find a killer, how she almost loses her life as a result. It's ingenious how he crosses fictional characters with historical
characters.
Pick up a copy an meet us at Second Street Station. This is a well written book. It has drama, suspense, surprises and love. You will not be able to put it down. Great novel Lawrence H. Levy, keep up the good work!!! Good reading!!!

I received a complimentary copy from Blogging For Books for this review. ( )
  Jean_Kellman | Jul 30, 2016 |
This is my first book by Lawrence H. Levy and its a sensation. I love the
characters.

Lawrence H. Levyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Erin, whose belief in me and this story
kept me going; to my son, Josh, who inspired me; to my
wife, Fran, who is my love; and to my nephew Zachary who I know would be proud.
The Boston boat was late, and the Frenchman was livid.
“May your happiness be according to your wishes.”
“Mary's reading list betrayed her passion for forensics and detective novels. There were so many scientific journals and books randomly strewn around her little one-room apartment that it looked like the Great White Hurracane had struck inside.

It's all part of my decorating scheme Mary would quip. This may look like the work of a slob, but if you look closer, you'll realize it's my way of giving color to an awfully drab floor.”
― Lawrence H. Levy, Second Street Station
“The mind of Sir Isaac Newton, the sass of a rebel and the purse of a street urchin.”
Just as you think the circus can't get any more exciting, in come the elephants.

A historical mystery featuring the witty and wily Mary Handley, the first woman detective in Brooklyn, as she tries to prove herself in a man's world while solving a high profile murder.

Mary Handley is a not your typical late-nineteenth century lady. She's fiery, clever, daring—and she’s not about to conform to the gender norms of the day. Not long after being fired from her job at the hat factory for insubordinate behavior, Mary finds herself at the murder scene of Charles Goodrich, the brother of a prominent alderman and former bookkeeper of Thomas Edison. When Mary proves her acumen as a sleuth, she is hired by the Brooklyn police department—as the city’s first female policewoman—to solve the crime. The top brass of the department expect her to fail, but Mary has other plans. As she delves into the mystery, she finds herself questioning the likes of J. P. Morgan, Thomas Edison, and Nikola Tesla. Mary soon discovers the key to solving the case goes well beyond finding a murderer and depends on her ability to unearth the machinations of the city’s most prominent and respected public figures, men who will go to great lengths to protect their secrets.

Much like Mr. Churchill’s Secretary and Maisie Dobbs, Second Street Station presents a portrait of a world plunging into modernity through the eyes of a clever female sleuth. Mary Handley is an unforgettable protagonist whose wit, humor, and charm will delight readers from the very first page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:02 -0400)

12 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,848,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible