Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic…

Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and…

by Daniel G. Amen

Excellent book for all. Daniel Amen not only gives you more than information you need to make your brain operate more efficiently. This book is a comprehensive set of directions to achieve good mental, physical, and emotional health. I believe that reading this book at least every year would help anyone with their troubles, whatever they may be.
  33racoonie | Jul 17, 2013 |
Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

Why I picked this book up: The title looked interesting to me and I wanted to read about spect scans and it seemed like a book that answered some questions.

Why I finished this book: Since the brain is SO important and he covers a wide range of issues about physical health and the brain, playing sports and exercise and he talked a lot about food, a lot of brain scans, medications, and vitamins, and different parts of the brain from his scans I enjoyed it and wanted to finish it.

Rating: I’ve give this book almost a 4 star rating out of 5 stars. ( )
  DrT | Apr 27, 2011 |
Pretty basic information that can be found in a thousand other books. I'm rating it low because the title promised so much more and I was disappointed it didn't deliver. ( )
  aegan | Feb 11, 2011 |
The physical health of the brain affects all of the other processes and structures of the human body. Dr. Amen, a brain surgeon, has used technology to take a more accurate snapshot of diseased brains to see the types of deterioration that are typical of different diseases and injuries to the brain. Rather than being negative, this book is positive in that the author gives vitamins, minerals, and foods that can assist regular medications and therapies to slow or stop the progress of certain diseases and regain health in the event of injury. Written in a way that the general public can understand, this book enables a person to take charge of the physical health of his brain and to work together with medical doctors to heal or prevent diseases. ( )
  drj | May 8, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 073932229X, Audio CD)

Daniel Amen, M.D., one of the world’s foremost authorities on the brain, has news for you: your brain is involved in everything you do—learn to care for it properly, and you will be smarter, healthier, and happier in as little as 15 days!

You probably run, lift weights, or do yoga to keep your body in great shape; you put on sunscreen and lotions to protect your skin; but chances are you simply ignore your brain and trust it to do its job. People unknowingly endanger or injure their brains, stress them by working at a frenzied pace and not getting enough sleep, pollute them with caffeine, alcohol, and drugs, and deprive them of proper nutrients. Brain dysfunction is the number one reason people fail at school, work, and relationships. The brain is the organ of learning, working, and loving—the supercomputer that runs our lives. It’s very simple: when our brains work right, we work right—and when our brains have trouble, we have trouble in our lives.

Luckily, it’s never too late: the brain is capable of change, and when you care for it, the results are amazing. Making a Good Brain Great gives you the tools you need to optimize your brain power and enrich your health and your life in the process. The principles and exercises in this book, based on years of cutting-edge neuroscience research and the experiences of thousands of people, provide a wealth of practical information to teach you how to achieve the best brain possible. You will learn:

•how to eat right to think right

•how to protect your brain from injuries and toxic substances

•how to nourish your brain with vitamins and do mental workouts to keep it strong

•the critical component of physical exercise, and which kinds work best

•how to rid your brain of negative thoughts, counteract stress, and much more

Full of encouraging anecdotes from Dr. Amen’s many years of experience, Making a Good Brain Great is a positive and practical road map for enriching and improving your own greatest asset—your brain.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0400)

This book gives you the tools you need to optimize your brain power and enrich your health and your life in the process.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible