Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight

Where They Found Her (2015)

by Kimberly McCreight

The Virgin of Small Plains: A Novel by Nancy Pickard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Set in small towns, these suspenseful, unnerving stories revolve around amateur investigations into disturbing crimes with multiple hidden links to their communities. Both offer multiple perspectives, while The Virgin employs flashbacks and Where They Found Her uses letters and emails.… (more)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these chilling psychological suspense novels, female reporters are assigned stories in small towns that bring up old traumas. However, Where They Found Her introduces multiple separate storylines, while Sharp Objects follows a more traditional -- and disturbing -- trajectory.… (more)

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
Super quick read set in Ridgedale, NJ. Molly is coming out of a deep depression and is assigned to cover a story about a body found dumped in the river.Discovering that it was a baby, she is encouraged by her husband to avoid the story. Molly continues to pursue the story, and discovers that another person died in the same spot years earlier.
Molly continues to dig into the story, and uncovers some awful secrets being held by many people in town.
Meanwhile, Sandy, a troubled teenager, is searching for her mother. How these lives are entangled, and how the story connects threads of many in the town is told in this novel.
Sad but redemptive. I did figure out much of the story, but there were still a few surprises for me. I enjoyed the novel, it moved quickly.
#WhereTheyFoundHer #KimberlyMcCreight ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 17, 2019 |
This book was super intricate. Almost too intricate to the point where it was hard to keep people straight. And for having so many threads to weave together and so many secrets, I did see a many of them coming. It was a good thriller and I would recommend it but it wasn't completely shocking. You'll want to have a pen and paper around to map out characters and all the ways in which they are connected because the web gets tangled very quickly. This good and a solid 4 stars for me. ( )
  AmalieTurner | Apr 2, 2019 |
I would really rate this more of a 3.5 than a 4. Good story, twisty mystery, but not as gripping and catching as I hoped. Still worth reading though, and I will try her other book, "Reconstructing Amelia". ( )
  LibraryLady14 | Jan 24, 2019 |
I enjoy reading books from different characters views. Six degrees of separation came to mind frequently. ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Somewhat plodding but a good twist at the end! ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
ONE CAN'T BUILD LITTLE WHITE PICKET FENCES TO KEEP NIGHTMARES OUT--Anne Sexton
For all the daughters, especially my own.
It isn't until afterward that I think about the bag or the bloody towels stuffed inside.

An idyllic suburban town.

A devastating discovery.

Shocking revelations that will change three lives forever.

At the end of a long winter in well-to-do Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of a newborn is found in the woods fringing the campus of the town's prestigious university. No one knows the identity of the baby, what ended her very short life, or how she wound up among the fallen leaves. But among the residents of Ridgedale, there is no shortage of opinions.

When freelance journalist, and recent Ridgedale transplant, Molly Anderson is unexpectedly called upon to cover the disturbing news for the Ridgedale Reader—the town's local paper—she has good reason to hesitate. A severe depression followed the loss of her own baby, and this assignment could unearth memories she has tried so hard to bury. But the history Molly uncovers is not her own. Her investigation unravels a decades-old trail of dark secrets hiding behind Ridgedale's white picket fences.

Told from the perspectives of three Ridgedale women, Kimberly McCreight's taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth behind the tragedy, revealing that these women have far more in common than they could have ever known. That the very worst crimes are committed against those we love. And that—sooner or later—the past catches up to all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

"From the author of the New York Times bestseller and 2014 Edgar and Anthony nominee Reconstructing Amelia comes another harrowing, gripping novel that marries psychological suspense with an emotionally powerful story about a community struggling with the consequences of a devastating discovery. At the end of a long winter in well-to-do Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of an infant is discovered in the woods near the town's prestigious university campus. No one knows who the baby is, or how her body ended up out there. But there is no shortage of opinions. When freelance journalist, and recent Ridgedale transplant, Molly Anderson is unexpectedly called upon to cover the story for the Ridgedale Reader, it's a risk, given the severe depression that followed the loss of her own baby. But the bigger threat comes when Molly unearths some of Ridgedale's darkest secrets, including a string of unreported sexual assaults going back twenty years. Meanwhile, Sandy, a high school dropout, searches for her volatile and now missing mother, and PTA president Barbara struggles to help her young son, who's suddenly having disturbing outbursts. Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight's taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the baby's death, revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. That the very worst crimes are committed against those we love. And that--sooner or later--the past catches up to all of us"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible