A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis

A Grief Observed (1961)

by C. S. Lewis

Levels of life by Julian Barnes (KayCliff)
    The Initials in the Heart by Laurence Whistler (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both authors write of their grief at the death of their wives.
    Breathtaking by Amber Nicole Metz (sundancer)
    sundancer: Breathtaking is a modern day version of A Grief Observed, written by a young woman of faith who planned her own funeral before she had graduated college.
    Widower's House by John Bayley (KayCliff)
    When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön (ssiegel)

non-fiction
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A very personal and clearly written account of the author's loss following the death of his wife. You may find this book particularly helpful if you have spiritual beliefs.
  CommunityResources | Dec 6, 2016 |
This is a very personal and clearly written account of the author's loss following the death of his wife. You may find this book particularly helpful if you have spiritual beliefs.
  CommunityResources | Dec 6, 2016 |
Started this book and was expecting it to be somewhat comforting. .. haven't found it to be so yet, but I'm not even half way through. It's not a long book though. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book was really heart-wrenching and insightful. It was interesting to be able to read of his experience with grief this way. I'm not really sure what to say about it. I want to read it again.

*Review written on December 11, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Nov 11, 2016 |

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, Douglas H.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'Engle, MadeleineForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nils-Øivind HaagensenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.
Did you ever know, how much you took away with you when you left?
Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process. It needs not a map but a history and if I don't stop writing that history at some quite arbitrary point, there's no reason why I should ever stop. There is something new to be chronicled every day.
It’s not true that I’m always thinking of it… but the times when I’m not are perhaps my worst. For them, though I have forgotten the reason, there is a spread over everything, a vague sense of wrongness, of something amiss… What’s wrong with the world to make it so flat, shabby, worn-out looking: then I remember.
Up till this I always had too little time. Now there is nothing but time. Almost pure time. Empty successiveness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652381, Paperback)

C.S. Lewis joined the human race when his wife, Joy Gresham, died of cancer. Lewis, the Oxford don whose Christian apologetics make it seem like he's got an answer for everything, experienced crushing doubt for the first time after his wife's tragic death. A Grief Observed contains his epigrammatic reflections on that period: "Your bid--for God or no God, for a good God or the Cosmic Sadist, for eternal life or nonentity--will not be serious if nothing much is staked on it. And you will never discover how serious it was until the stakes are raised horribly high," Lewis writes. "Nothing will shake a man--or at any rate a man like me--out of his merely verbal thinking and his merely notional beliefs. He has to be knocked silly before he comes to his senses. Only torture will bring out the truth. Only under torture does he discover it himself." This is the book that inspired the film Shadowlands, but it is more wrenching, more revelatory, and more real than the movie. It is a beautiful and unflinchingly honest record of how even a stalwart believer can lose all sense of meaning in the universe, and how he can gradually regain his bearings. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

The author recounts his grief over the death of his wife, and explains how he reexamined his religious beliefs.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible