The Painted Queen by Elizabeth Peters

The Painted Queen

by Elizabeth Peters, Joan Hess

Other authors: Salima Ikram (Contributor)

Series: Amelia Peabody - Pub (20), Amelia Peabody - Chron (14)

Elizabeth Peters (Barbara Mertz) died in 2013. I don't remember if I had heard the news. She left a partially completed manuscript. Her friend and author, Joan Hess, was finally persuaded to finish the book. I was sad to finish reading it as I would prefer to think the Emerson family and friends go on and on and I would like to continue to read about them. This book goes backwards to a time after Nefret had gotten married to a man who turned out to be a villain. Violent men start trying to murder Amelia as it turns out Nefret's late husband had several murderous brothers who believed Amelia and Ramses guilty of murder. They also find an Egyptologist, a German named Morgenstern, has started exhibiting very strange behavior after finding a beautiful statute of Nefertiri. Thieves and regular attempts to murder Amelia and/or Ramses contribute to a confusing excavation. A fun read. Now I feel like I would like to start from the beginning.
  taurus27 | Mar 29, 2018 |
Synopsis: One of the archaeologists finds what appears to be a sculpture of Nefertiti and promptly goes nuts. In the mean time, Peabody, while relaxing in a bath, is attached by a man intent on murdering her. Amelia and Emerson must follow the clues to find out what has happened to the statue, thwart five assassins, and outwit the 'Master Criminal', Seth.
Review: The story line was excellent, as always, The characters were as vivid, as always, and the setting was exceptionally accurate. There were some rather rough places in the book because it was completed after Elizabeth Peters' death. I am sorry she is gone and also sad that the author who finished the book, Joan Hess, has also died. Two of my favorite authors are gone. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 27, 2017 |
Not my favorite Elizabeth Peters book--the deaths of the Godwin brothers felt a bit ham-fisted/contrived. Otherwise enjoyable. ( )
  annasazi | Dec 26, 2017 |
To be reviewed over at Fresh Fiction! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Three stars for being adequate; two stars for being not very good. It was quite choppy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. ( )
  bookhookgeek | Nov 16, 2017 |

Singer, PhillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To

BARBARA MERTZ,

with love and respect
Foreword: One of the great delights of the Amelia Peabody books is that in each one, Amelia combines murder, mayhem, and mystery with solid doses of Egyptology and history. (Foreword by Salima Ikram, Distinguished Professor in Egyptology, American University in Cairo)
I met Barbara thirty years ago at a mystery convention, when I timidly approached her as a wide-eyed fan. (Preface by Joan Hess)
It is our sad duty to introduce this last of the Amelia Peabody Emerson volumes. (Introduction, The Trustee of the Barbara Mertz Trust.)
From the harbor, the port of Alexandria is an attractive sight, its whitewalled houses and red tiled roofs framed by azure sky and sea.
Perhaps this intimacy with Egypt is why so many Egyptologists are devotees of the Amelia Peabody series. No other fiction author has spoken so directly and truly to us, skillfully blending historic fact with fiction, giving a very real sense of place, including in-jokes, all while telling a ripping tale. It is with great sadness that I bid farewell to the idea of enjoying any new adventures of the indomitable Amelia and Emerson, the "most brilliant archeologist of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries." However, I find comfort in knowing that I have the old stories to return to, and, no doubt, even if they are not being chronicled as before, Amelia continues to contend with another ruined shirt as she and Emerson embark on fresh adventures. (Foreword, Salima Ikram)
All factual and translation errors are Salima's fault. Or somebody else's, anyway. Maybe Google's. (Preface by Joan Hess)
In other words, none of the eccentricities of the present volume are the responsibility of the editor. [1] She has done the best she could and would suggest that complaints, criticisms, and other pejorative comments be addressed to the heirs of Professor and Mrs. Emerson, not to her. (Introduction by The Trustee of the Barbara Mertz Trust)

[1] Or, the Trustee hastens to add, of those who labored to finished The Painted Queen.

Egypt, 1912. Amelia Peabody and her dashing archeologist husband, Radcliffe Emerson, are once again in danger as they search for a priceless, stolen bust of legendary Queen Nefertiti and Amelia finds herself the target of assassins in this long-awaited, eagerly anticipated final installment of Elizabeth Peters's bestselling, beloved mystery series-- Provided by publisher.

Elizabeth Peters' friend Joan Hess finished an incomplete manuscript that Peters had left when she died. Salima Ikram, a Distinguished Professor at the American University in Cairo assisted with the archeological details. Chronologically, this is book 14 of the 20 books published, so it isn't an ending, but takes place between the death of Nefret's scoundrel of a husband, but before she is romantically reconciled with Ramses. She does live with the Emersons when they are at their archeological site.

"Egypt, 1912. Amelia Peabody and her dashing archeologist husband, Radcliffe Emerson, are once again in danger as they search for a priceless, stolen bust of legendary Queen Nefertiti and Amelia finds herself the target of assassins in this long-awaited, eagerly anticipated final installment of Elizabeth Peters's bestselling, beloved mystery series"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible