Over-Scheduled Andrew by Ashley Spires

Over-Scheduled Andrew

by Ashley Spires

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Vibrant illustrations and funny dialogue tell the story of Andrew, an ambitious creature who strives to do it all. Many can relate to the feeling of being overstretched, overcommitted and overwhelmed. Even young ones need to understand the problems that can happen when too many promises are made. By the end of the story we see that time must be found for family, friends and adventure.
Best suited for children grades 1+.
  Robyn126 | Jul 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The title Over-Scheduled Andrew is pretty on the nose for the story here. We have Andrew, a bit of a perfectionist, trying to do it all. The message is a salient one, but I'm not sure the message is actually for the apparently intended audience of children. What child (of the picture-book set) are the ones over-scheduling themselves?? It almost seems like something you would give to that 'dance mom' or 'stage mom' type as a bit of a passive aggressive suggestion they take a look at the activities they have their children involved in. Otherwise, a cute book with adorable illustrations.
  blueviolent | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a beautifully illustrated picture book with a very important message. Andrew is a young and student at school. He is happy and not afraid to try new things and have fun with his friends. His teacher suggests he tries out for a debate team, He does and becomes very confident. Then he does a chess club, a dance club, etc.

Eventually, poor Andrew is exhausted and has no time to just "play" and be creative.

I loved the message in this book. Perfection comes at a high cost. What child needs to be perfect or top of the class in every event, sport or club. How much happier Andrew would have been to be in only one "extra" activity. Kids need to be kids. They NEED to experience boredom, failure, difficulty. It is all part of growing up and developing the character we need to become adults. Excellent book!

I received a complimentary copy via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  melaniehope | Apr 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really liked this book!

This book is very relevant in the life of even the youngest elementary school students that attend my school. Andrew is one busy chickadee - because he loves drama, he joins not only the drama club, but also the debate club, ballet, karate, and others to help improve his drama performance. When they see how good he is at things, his friends invite him to other clubs not related to drama, and he accepts. Pretty soon, he's so busy he isn't doing anything well, and worst, he doesn't have time for his best friend Edie! When disaster strikes at the big drama performance and everyone abandons him but Edie, he knows he has to make some changes and say yes to only the things that he truly loves.

This story gently makes a point that today's kids and their parents need to hear - downtime for play is very important for children. I think that people will recognize their busy lives in this book, and maybe be inspired to examine their own busyness.

I liked the brightly colored, expressive characters, with plenty of white space to draw your eyes from one scene to the next. I think this book will be a hit and will be adding it to our elementary library. ( )
  csfoster | Apr 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Andrew likes to improve his performance, so while in the drama club the ball starts rolling and pretty soon, he can’t even keep his eyes open.
Andrew may be an over achiever, but he sure is a cute little bird, and my favorite a chickadee. You can almost see how one thing leads to another and on and on.
The drawings are adorable and nicely colored for a youngster's eye, and the prose and right to the point and then we turn the page. There are lessons here for both parents and youngsters, and they are really nicely presented.
I recommend this read, if you a youngster that is in to everything and wanting more, this story shows how there is no time just to be a kid.
I received this book through The Library Thing, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Mar 24, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Over-Scheduled Andrew by Ashley Spires was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,271,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible