Tempting Evil: A Riley Jenson Guardian Novel…

Tempting Evil: A Riley Jenson Guardian Novel (Riley Jenson Guardian… (edition 2010)

by Keri Arthur

Member:noah2012
Title:Tempting Evil: A Riley Jenson Guardian Novel (Riley Jenson Guardian Novels)
Authors:Keri Arthur
Info:Dell (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read

Tempting Evil by Keri Arthur

Dark Gold by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters
    Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and Shifters

Synopsis: In a world of sorcery and seduction, the nights bring out the beautiful, the damned, and the desired. Here, Riley Jenson is on her own–half werewolf, half vampire, working for an organization created to police the supernatural races. Trusting her superiors and lovers barely more than she trusts her worst enemies, Riley plays by her own set of rules. Her latest mission: to enter the heavily guarded pleasure palace of a criminal named Deshon Starr–a madman-scientist who’s been messing around in the gene pool for decades. With two sexy men–a cool, seductive vampire and an irresistibly hot wolf–vying for her attention, Riley must keep focused. Because saving the world from Deshon Starr will mean saving herself–from the trap that’s closing in around her. . . .

My Thoughts: Jumped right into this book when I finished the second in the series because for some reason I just can't get enough of Riley.

Spoiler Warning: Due to a controversial scene in the book where many readers want to be told about it I'm including a spoiler within my review. I will not give away pertinent plot twists or anything like that but continue with caution.

What Worked: Even though I find Riley very flawed I'm enjoying her immensely. She rarely jumps into trouble without thinking first and I have yet to label her TSTL (if you've read any of my reviews in the past you know this is a major issue I have with many heroines.) Her abilities stemming from her being a Dhampir are notable as are her growing psychic talents. I can't wait to see what is in store for those! What also worked was the ending of a 3 book underlying plot thread. I don't think I would have continued on with a 4th book if the DNA/Cloning plot thread had not ended.

What Didn't Work: While undercover, Riley was given the choice to wear clothes or not while in the Starr complex. She opted to run around naked. As a werewolf she has very few inhibitions but as a reader I found it really weird. Perhaps if I were a nudist it wouldn't have felt so awkward but as I'm not I couldn't get that point to flow well while reading. In addition to the nudism what also didn't work was there is yet another instance of rape in this book. Poor Riley gets knocked out and finds the man she figured she'd have to sleep with to get info from has actually been having sex with her unconscious body for hours. Once again Riley is barely phased other than complaining about how sore she was. I really hope this isn't going to be a trend in these books because even though Riley isn't crying rape that is exactly what happened.

In a Nutshell: Despite what didn't work, I thought, once again, the positives outweighed the negatives. My recommendation, as with the other two books in this series, is to ignore the sex and focus on the action. That is really where this book shined for me. A kick butt woman and some serious nail biting action. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Riley is a Guardian, not really what she wants. She "graduates: and is thrown into a mission that puts her and her brother in great danger. She has sex with the enemy, needs to save others and fight bigger and stronger foes then ever before. New powers are developing and she does know how to control them. Quin and Kade are back to help her needs. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Sexually adventurous and explicit. Decent story line, good main character. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jan 24, 2016 |
Coming into a series three books in was not a good idea, I had no background info about her brother or her lovers or the guardians. I was just suddenly knee deep in a story that I was enjoying up until about the 150 page mark when she was suddenly having sex with almost everyone and I felt like I'd missed something (which since it's the third book, I obviously had). Therefore i'm giving it three stars. ( )
  lcrabtree | Jul 17, 2013 |
Having really enjoyed the first few books I was dissappointed with Tempting Evil. It is really dark, with a lot of physical and sexual violence, enough to distract from the story for me. Plus the walking aroung naked thing seemed a bit extreme, even though it works with the context of the story.I did enjoy Riley discovering her new psi talents and the final confrontation though. I can't decide between two and three stars, but since i didn't like this as much as the others it will have to be 2. ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
Training sucked.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588478, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

Working for an organization policing the supernatural races, Riley Jenson--half werewolf, half vampire--is given the task of infiltrating the heavily guarded pleasure palace of Deshon Star, a criminal mastermind who has been experimenting with genetics for decades.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible