A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire…

A Reunion of Ghosts

by Judith Claire Mitchell

"In the vein of such classic family sagas as Fall on Your Knees, A Reunion of Ghosts is the confessional of three sisters who have decided to kill themselves on the very last day of the 20th century; in it they tell the story of a family haunted by suicide ever since the sisters' great-grandfather, a Nobel Prize-winning chemist, developed the first poison gas used in warfare and also the lethal agent used in the Third Reich's gas chambers--inspired in part by the troubled life of Fritz Haber, Nobel Prize winner and inventor of mustard gas"--… (more)

This book took my breath away. Lady, Vee, and Delph, three great-granddaughters of the inventor of both the gas used in WWI chemical warfare and, later, the extermination of the Jews in the gas chambers of WWII, are planning their suicide. This forty-something trio has selected a date and have set to compose a suicide letter, which is more of a family chronicle. Highly recommended. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Surprisingly amusing, but then I've always had a tendency towards black humour. I found this a really good read, being well-written, engaging, intelligent and intriguing. Book club was polarised: some felt the sisters unlikeable due to their not doing anything active to combat the depression/anxiety that plagues their lives. As a long-term sufferer of major depression and anxiety, I fully empathised. ( )
  Vivl | Sep 20, 2016 |
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Review will be added later.
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |
Loved this one...can only describe it as VERY original, quirky, dark, fascinating, unusual...AND...WRY...enjoyed it until the last word, recommend it for anyone indulging in like-minded literary endeavors...Gemma ( )
  Gemma. | Apr 12, 2016 |
This is a long suicide note left by three sisters who chronicle their family history, complete with all of the horrors associated with it. There are many missed opportunities and too many misinterpretations of their lives, especially by themselves, so the end is almost too predictable, despite moments of hope for another outcome. It is beautifully written but very sad. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Nov 26, 2015 |
The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once. ALBERT EINSTEIN
Suddenly all my ancestors are standing beside me. Be still, they say. Watch and listen. You are the result of the love of thousands. - Linda Hogan Dwell: A Spiritual History of the Living World
For my parents, Lee and Claire Mitchell
From a distance the tattoo wrapped around Delph's calf looks like a serpentine chain, but stand closer and it's actually sixty-seven tiny letters and symbols that form a sentence---a curse: the sins of the father are visited upon the children to the 3rd & 4th generations

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,951,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible