The Silicon Mage by Barbara Hambly

The Silicon Mage

by Barbara Hambly

Series: Windrose Chronicles (2)

788417,648 (4.05)1 / 19

This book is a sequel to The Silent Tower, starting shortly after the first book left off, and eventually resolving the cliffhanger from that book. I enjoyed it, but I was never engrossed by it, and there were times when I felt restless, particularly around the middle.

An additional character took part in this story who seemed pretty interesting, but she didn’t get a lot of page time. The recurring characters were about as likeable as before, which is to say that I liked them but was only moderately invested in them. There were some plot elements that were a bit of a stretch for me, and I never really bought into the main villain’s motivation, but the general story did hold my interest most of the time and I enjoyed the ending pretty well.

There are two more books in this series, but I’ve decided to stop here. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | May 27, 2018 |
he second part in a trilogy. I don’t know why it’s only the second part—everything seemed wrapped up at the end to me. The most enjoyable part of these books is the characters, who are not only believable but *likeable*. It's a rare book when I can read the climactic battle with the Big Bad Evil and not scoff, but this is a good example of what to do *right*. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book completes the story begun in The Silent Tower. I found the conclusion satisfying. I’m not quite sure all the threads connected, but I enjoy Joanna and Antryg too much to quibble. Characters with depth are, I think, Hambly’s greatest strength. She writes characters to really care about. There is also highly imaginative world-building here, as well as plenty of tension and a wealth of wonderfully descriptive language (over-stuffed sentences notwithstanding).

The computer-magic connection is original, at least in my experience. Being an older work, these are computers as they were in the 1980’s, which some younger readers might find annoyingly old-fashioned. They’re the computers I grew up with, however, so I tend to enjoy the nostalgia instead. I enjoyed the setting and the characters enough to go looking for additional sequels. From what I can see, Dog Wizard is the only other full-length novel about Joanna and Antryg, although there are some shorter works as well. ( )
  Carol_W | Sep 16, 2015 |
I really enjoyed these books, even with the somewhat similar crossover world theme, and the general Hambly theme of wizards. Even so, the characters are as engaging as always. ( )
  Karlstar | May 6, 2010 |

Hambly, Barbaraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poole, NicoleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

For Bill the Time Lord and the Bionic Gimp, two trusted friends.
The worst thing about knowing that Gary Fairchild had been dead for a month was seeing him every day at work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345337638, Mass Market Paperback)

It was impossible, Joanna knew. When she betrayed her lover Antryg Windrose to the Council, he had been sentenced to death. Then she had believed his brain was possessed by the Dark Mage Suraklin, though now she knew that Suraklin had chosen Gary Fairchild. But guilty or innocent, Antryg was separated from her by the awesome Void between the worlds, far from any hope of rescue.

Nevertheless, she had to save him. Suraklin was planning to gain immortality by placing his mind in a computer that would get its power by draining the life-force from all on both worlds, dooming everyone to eternal misery and hopelessness. And only Antryg was strong enough a wizard to challenge the Dark Mage.

Once again, Joanna dared the fearsome tunnel through the Void, praying desperately that Antryg still lived and that she could find help to free him. If not...But she refused to think of that.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Joanna travels through the Void to find Antryg, the only wizard powerful enough to challenge the Dark Mage Suraklin, who is planning to gain immortality through placing his mind in a computer and draining the life-force of everyone on both sides of the Void.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,697,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible