Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1) by…

Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1) (edition 2003)

by Elizabeth Moon

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1)
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:New York : Ballantine Books, 2003.
Collections:Your library, Ether, Series, To read
Tags:verify, spaceships, space travel, friends, rejuvenation, escape, series, Kylara Vatta, MerryMary, unread, from Bookmooch, small paperback

Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon

Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    Valor's Trial by Tanya Huff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Recommended for readers who like fast-paced military sci-fi with a strong female protagonist.
    A Galaxy Unknown by Thomas DePrima (Bullrose)
    Bullrose: Similar series with young female protagonists leading military forces in a space opera setting as they rise in rank.

English (33)  Swedish (1)  English (34)
After reading Nathan Lowell's Solar Clipper series and being disappointed by the direction it took, I was hoping this would be similar, but without going off the rails.

While it doesn't devolve into military sci-fi, Trading in Danger is less about the trading that I was hoping for and more about the action filled danger.

Not a horrible story, and I do like other books by the author, but I can't get over my disappointment to continue the series for now. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
I came to this from a first chapter included at the end of the kindle edition of Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. This is a different sort of space opera from Ancillary Justice, but the opening chapter was so gripping that I immediately ordered a copy so that I could read the rest of it.

The universe it is set in is sort of recognisable as a fast forward on our current one. The initial setting is in a naval academy that would be recognisable to anyone with military experience (and the author served in the USMC, no doubt she drew on that). That's just the starting point for the story though, and most of the action takes place on board an interstellar freighter.

The story is told mostly by the main character (Ky Vatta), although there are a couple of short switches of viewpoint to her father. This limited omniscience drives the story well, although the only character that is well developed is Ky herself. That said, she is a very interesting character, she knows she has flaws and tries hard to come to terms with them. The pace of the story is very good, and it kept me reading to find out what happened next, even getting to the end of the chapter wasn't enough to stop and I found myself reading it when I was walking along the train platform at the end of my commute!

In outline, Ky is kicked out of the local naval academy for helping the wrong guy. Her family run their own merchant shipping line and they send her off with an experienced crew in a ship destined for the breakers yard at the end of the trip. She succumbs to the Vatta instinct for 'trade and profit' and decides to make a side trip to fill a need for agricultural supplies at her first port of call. This takes her to another system. On the way in her ship's hyperspace drive fails, and while she's trying to scrape up funding for both the repairs and the tractor parts a war starts.

From there it becomes a very interesting sequence of events in dealing with the crisis and its fallout. Ky's ship ends up being used to intern the captains and senior officers of the other ships in the system, largely because it has no working hyperspace engine. This causes another set of interesting twists and turns in the story. Throughout the background to this we see a few glimpses of other things happening in other parts of the universe, which cleverly expands the background and lets the reader join some of the dots before Ky does it.

Overall an enjoyable and compelling read. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |
Oh goodness. I can't believe how much I enjoyed this. I don't like military and political intrigue, even if it does take place in outer space. Nor do I like adventure series, even if the main character is female. I couldn't get past the first bit of the first book of Honor Harrington, for example. But honestly, Moon has a way of making every character so rich, and every situation so authentic, that even though this doesn't end on a cliffhanger and I could stop, I'm not going to.

I am glad I own the complete set and hope to keep it together and send it off to one of you as soon as I'm done. ;) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Vatta's War series
1 Trading in Danger
2 Marque and Reprisal
3 Engaging the Enemy
4 Command Decision
5 Victory Conditions

These 5 books are not so much a series as one long novel - there's one story arc, and you really need to read all five to get to the (satisfying) conclusion. (I somehow had the misapprehension that there were only 4 in the series - luckily the public library came through and got me #5 expediently!)
Due to a misjudgement, Kylara Vatta, scion of an interstellar shipping business, gets kicked out of military academy shortly before graduation. She's pretty crushed by the end of her hopes for a military career, but there's always the family business to fall back on... or is there? Someone's apparently got it out for her family, and before Ky knows it, she's catapulted into the midst of a space war, seeking justice and vengeance against an unsavory alliance of pirates.
These are first and foremost action-adventure books, with plenty of shoot-em-up scenes and an uncomplicated moral compass - you know who the 'bad guys' are, and although Ky is normally affected by the trauma of war (even seeking therapy at one point), she's always clearly on the side of right. The one thing I wished the story had was more exploration of the bad guys' motivations - OK, we know they're racist, and bigoted against 'modified' humans (people who've had either genetic or physical/technological augmentation), and of course they want power - but what's the story behind it all?
However, the characters of the 'good guys' are well-drawn, and the story's definitely recommended for those who like strong female characters: there's Ky, with her military and strategic brilliance, her cousin Stella, who has the financial and business acumen to bring Vatta Enterprises back from the brink - and there's their grandmother, Grace, who is far from being the harmless old lady people might assume. (Grace might be my favorite character - it's wonderful to see an older woman portrayed with such verve.)
As many have mentioned, there are some definite parallells here with Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. I'm not sure these are *quite* as good, but if you like one, I'd guess you'll like the other. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Trading in Danger is an entertaining space opera that follows the adventures of a former military cadet turned merchant. Even though there wasn’t as much action as I expected, the story was fast-paced and kept me hooked. All the trading and business negotiations were (shockingly) not boring.

As another reviewer pointed out, Kylara is the only character that’s fully fleshed out. The rest of the characters are essentially props in her adventure. Admittedly, Kylara’s characterization is sometimes silly; she always lands on her feet, despite having no real experience, and there’s always some impressed authority figure who shows up afterward to validate her choices. Even so, I found myself rooting for Ky and sympathizing with the conflicts, both external and internal, that she has to face.

Overall, Trading in Danger didn’t quite go the distance for me, but I still enjoyed it. The solid worldbuilding and interesting plot offset the thinness of the supporting cast. And as long as Kylara doesn’t stray too far into Mary Sue territory, I don’t mind the occasional cheesy, wish-fulfillment moment. I would be interested to read the rest of the series at some point in the future. ( )
  les121 | Aug 23, 2015 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

To Joshua, without whom this book and several others would not have seen daylight...and thanks for all the chocolate.
And to all those involved in the matter of the sword: you know who you are and you know why.
Kylara Vatta came to attention in front of the Commandant's desk.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345447611, Mass Market Paperback)

Kylara Vatta is the only daughter in a family full of sons, and her father’s only child to buck tradition by choosing a military career instead of joining the family business. For Ky, it’s no contest: Even running the prestigious Vatta Transport Ltd. shipping concern can’t hold a candle to shipping out as an officer aboard an interstellar cruiser. It’s adventure, not commerce, that stirs her soul. And despite her family’s misgivings, there can be no doubt that a Vatta in the service will prove a valuable asset. But with a single error in judgment, it all comes crumbling down.

Expelled from the Academy in disgrace–and returning home to her humiliated family, a storm of high-profile media coverage, and the gaping void of her own future–Ky is ready to face the inevitable onslaught of anger, disappointment, even pity. But soon after opportunity’s door slams shut, Ky finds herself with a ticket to ride– and a shot at redemption–as captain of a Vatta Transport ship.

It’s a simple assignment: escorting one of the Vatta fleet’s oldest ships on its final voyage . . . to the scrapyard. But keeping it simple has never been Ky’s style. And even though her father has provided a crew of seasoned veterans to baby-sit the fledgling captain on her maiden milk run, they can’t stop Ky from turning the routine mission into a risky venture–in the name of turning a profit for Vatta Transport, of course.

By snapping up a lucrative delivery contract defaulted on by a rival company, and using part of the proceeds to upgrade her condemned vehicle, Ky aims to prove she’s got more going for her than just her family’s famous name. But business will soon have to take a backseat to bravery, when Ky’s change of plans sails her and the crew straight into the middle of a colonial war. For all her commercial savvy, it’s her military training and born-soldier’s instincts that Ky will need to call on in the face of deadly combat, dangerous mercenaries, and violent mutiny. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

The first book of an exciting new military sci fi series that features a swashbuckling spaceship-captain heroine who mixes commerce with combat. "Filled with fast-paced action and well-conceived characters."--"Booklist."

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,671,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible