Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1) by…

Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1) (edition 2003)

by Elizabeth Moon

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Trading in Danger (Kylara Vatta 1)
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:New York : Ballantine Books, 2003.
Collections:Your library, Ether, Series, To read
Tags:verify, spaceships, space travel, friends, rejuvenation, escape, series, Kylara Vatta, MerryMary, unread, from Bookmooch, small paperback

Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon

Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    Valor's Trial by Tanya Huff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Recommended for readers who like fast-paced military sci-fi with a strong female protagonist.
    A Galaxy Unknown by Thomas DePrima (Bullrose)
    Bullrose: Similar series with young female protagonists leading military forces in a space opera setting as they rise in rank.

English (28)  Swedish (1)  All languages (29)
3.5 stars

An interesting start of a science fiction series by an author I had not previously read anything from. I will have to read a few more of these to solidify my opinion of the series and author.

Things I liked
- The characters are written well and seem interesting
- It was a fun, easy read
- I liked the SF technology ideas she uses

Things I did not like
- Less action than I thought I would get from the title and book blurb
- MC should have been written making things go right when needed rather than luck dropping in her lap so often.

I am looking forward to continuing this series.

ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Where has Elizabeth Moon been all my life? This is just the kind of fast moving space opera I've been looking for (and trying to write with The Szuiltan Trilogy). Wonderful. Have already bought the second in the series. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
Listened to the first half last night, and the 2nd half this morning. LOL Later today, book 2! LOL ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
Kylara (Ky) Vatta is at the top of the honour corps of the Slotter Key (her home planet) Spaceforce Academy. A few short months before graduation, she is made a scapegoat and dismissed from the Academy in disgrace.

Although shocked and upset by this abrupt end to her lifelong dream, Ky slips back into the life she was born and bred to. Her interstellar merchant family, who had not been keen on her joining the Naval Academy, send her into space on a straightforward milk run as the captain of her own ship until the fuss dies down at home. But mindful of the Vatta family motto - 'trade and profit' - and with her own sense of adventure, Ky ends up in the middle of a situation that calls on all her military training to keep her crew and herself alive.

The first part of the story, with Ky's home life and long days in transit in space on a trading run, doesn't have much action, but the pace does pick up when she takes her ship off their pre-planned route in search of extra profit.

I enjoyed this book, and I liked the strong sense of family that comes through.

N.B. You may want to know what an ansible is, since they (or, rather, lack of them) play a large part in the story.

From Wikipedia : An ansible is a fictitious machine capable of instantaneous or superluminal communication - coined by Ursula K. Le Guin in [Rocannon's World]. ( )
  humouress | May 25, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

“Of course we didn’t do autopsies. We know exactly what killed them — I killed them!”

Kylara Vatta, daughter of the head of the most prestigious shipping empire in the universe, didn’t want to follow in her family’s footsteps — trading is boring and Ky wants adventure and her own life outside of her family’s control. So she opted for a military career. But with only a few months left in the officer’s academy, she was set-up, betrayed, kicked out, and publicly shamed. When she returns home in disgrace, Vatta Transport is happy to have her back in the fold. Her first assignment is to captain a derelict spaceship straight to the junkyard, but Ky has Vatta blood in her veins and can’t pass up an advantageous business opportunity that arises unexpectedly. When this leads her into various forms of danger, and when scammers and mutineers think they can take advantage of the young and inexperienced captain, Ky finds that her time spent in the military academy wasn’t wasted after all.

Trading in Danger is the first installment of Elizabeth Moon’s VATTA’S WAR military science fiction epic. I don’t think this series will appeal to everybody, but it happened to hit a sweet spot for me. I like Kylara Vatta, an intelligent ethical rules-bound military officer with a soft heart who, due to her new circumstances, is beginning to discover that she has a rebellious streak, not to mention a disconcerting appreciation for quickly solving problems with violence. Ky is a little passive and occasionally bewildered in this installment, but this is her first adventure. I’m assuming that Moon plans to show us some growth in this area as Ky begins to adapt to her new lifestyle. Kylara’s crew and family members are also likeable — especially elderly Aunt Grace who bakes unappetizing but invaluable fruitcakes.

The plot is engaging, unpredictable and mostly quick-moving though some of the dialog gets repetitive as Ky explains what’s going on to multiple characters who show up at different times. I enjoyed the focus on transportation, though this may be a personal thing. My husband runs a small freight logistics company, so there’s a lot of talk about contracts, cargo, carriers and consignees in my little world, and I was fascinated by how this might scale up to apply to an entire universe. Surprisingly, this was one of my favorite aspects of the story but, again, that’s just me. (It would be such an awful pun to say “your mileage may vary” so I won’t.)

Trading in Danger is “soft” science fiction, or “space opera” — it’s a little fluffy, focusing on drama and political intrigue, not physics. There’s talk about FTL drives and ansibles (there’s a nod to Ursula K. LeGuin), but no explanation of how they work. I love physics but have to admit that I get bored by long dry theoretical or technical discussions of astrophysics and quantum mechanics. Trading in Danger is a quick and easy read for when you’re in the mood for some non-challenging science fiction. It ends on an intriguing note — Ky has some difficult choices to make about her relationship to her family business. Should she stay with Vatta or go rogue? Whatever, I’m still on board and ready for the ride.

I’m listening to VATTA’S WAR in audio format. These were produced in 2008 by Tantor Audio and are read by Cynthia Holloway who does a nice job. I like her voice and she inflects the narrative perfectly (though she always mispronounces the word “peripheral”). I recommend the audio version. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

To Joshua, without whom this book and several others would not have seen daylight...and thanks for all the chocolate.
And to all those involved in the matter of the sword: you know who you are and you know why.
Kylara Vatta came to attention in front of the Commandant's desk.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345447611, Mass Market Paperback)

Kylara Vatta is the only daughter in a family full of sons, and her father’s only child to buck tradition by choosing a military career instead of joining the family business. For Ky, it’s no contest: Even running the prestigious Vatta Transport Ltd. shipping concern can’t hold a candle to shipping out as an officer aboard an interstellar cruiser. It’s adventure, not commerce, that stirs her soul. And despite her family’s misgivings, there can be no doubt that a Vatta in the service will prove a valuable asset. But with a single error in judgment, it all comes crumbling down.

Expelled from the Academy in disgrace–and returning home to her humiliated family, a storm of high-profile media coverage, and the gaping void of her own future–Ky is ready to face the inevitable onslaught of anger, disappointment, even pity. But soon after opportunity’s door slams shut, Ky finds herself with a ticket to ride– and a shot at redemption–as captain of a Vatta Transport ship.

It’s a simple assignment: escorting one of the Vatta fleet’s oldest ships on its final voyage . . . to the scrapyard. But keeping it simple has never been Ky’s style. And even though her father has provided a crew of seasoned veterans to baby-sit the fledgling captain on her maiden milk run, they can’t stop Ky from turning the routine mission into a risky venture–in the name of turning a profit for Vatta Transport, of course.

By snapping up a lucrative delivery contract defaulted on by a rival company, and using part of the proceeds to upgrade her condemned vehicle, Ky aims to prove she’s got more going for her than just her family’s famous name. But business will soon have to take a backseat to bravery, when Ky’s change of plans sails her and the crew straight into the middle of a colonial war. For all her commercial savvy, it’s her military training and born-soldier’s instincts that Ky will need to call on in the face of deadly combat, dangerous mercenaries, and violent mutiny. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:35 -0400)

The first book of an exciting new military sci fi series that features a swashbuckling spaceship-captain heroine who mixes commerce with combat. "Filled with fast-paced action and well-conceived characters."--"Booklist."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible