1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving by…

1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving (edition 2001)

by Catherine O'Neill Grace, Sisse Brimberg, Plimoth Plantation

Member:MarthaL
Title:1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
Authors:Catherine O'Neill Grace
Other authors:Sisse Brimberg, Plimoth Plantation
Info:National Geographic Children's Books (2001), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Classic Picture Books
Rating:**
Tags:Thanksgiving, William Bradford, John Carver, Sarah Josepha Hale, King Philip's War, Abraham Lincoln

1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving (I Am American) by Catherine O'Neill Grace

I liked this book for a few reasons. For one, I liked the illustrations because they help students to gain an insight on different people and their traditions. While students may have a basic knowledge of Thanksgiving, this book shows a different perspective students may not be familiar with. By incorporating real photographs, this book helps students to visually gain a better insight to their perspective. Also, I liked the writing because it was descriptive. The book explains Wampanoag language by describing, “the language also reflects the philosophy that all people in the Nation are connected.” Then, it goes on to give examples and explains. I also liked the organization of the book because it describes the history of Thanksgiving in respects to Wampanoag and common myths. Finally, I liked that this book included a timeline because this is beneficial for students who learn best from visuals. While I think this is a great book to add to a classroom, the text may be too challenging. I think a teacher would need to read this book aloud to the class or have it as an option for the accelerated fifth graders. The big message of 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving is to give students a different perspective of the history and traditions of Thanksgiving. ( )
  Kgranit | Apr 16, 2014 |
This book is an extremely illustrated picture book that gives a more measured, stable, and historically correct version of what we know to be the Thanksgiving feast. There’s about five chapters of background information on the Wampanoag Indians, on colonization, diplomacy between Indians and settlers, the harvest of 1621, and the evolution of the Thanksgiving story. After, we get a more realistic account of what the celebration was really like. The reader gets a great view of the Wampanoag side of the story as well. There’s great illustrative accompaniment of reenactments to aid the author’s argument. Though we see with this book that the Thanksgiving story most frequently told is closer to fiction than fact, the book does not detract from the historical importance of the holiday. I would not show this book to anyone younger than high school age; I’m afraid that if I did, it would be like telling a third grader there’s no such thing as Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy. I, personally, liked this book, but because it borderline’s controversy, it must be taken into careful consideration what age is appropriate. This story would make for a great debate topic in high school as well. ( )
  meblack19 | Mar 6, 2014 |
An elementary revised history of origins of our traditional Thanksgiving holiday. Illustrated with photographs of reenactors this informative text presents history from the Wampanoag perpective. A Chronology summarizes ancient Wampanoag history. European contact and Thanksgiving days are listed as are the parts magazine editior Sarah Josepha Hale and President Lincoln had in bringing about the holiday. ( )
  MarthaL | Nov 3, 2012 |
This book is a detailed debunking of our accepted myth of the first Thanksgiving. Told with photos of a reenactment by actual descendents of those early Indians, this is the event told from their perspective, which should be considered important considering this was still their country at the time. Grace tells a story that we should all know: the real story of the origin of the holiday, which may come as finding out that Santa Claus isn't real to some, but should not ruin the meaning of Thanksgiving for anyone.
  scnelson | Nov 23, 2011 |
A National Geographic research based resource on Thanksgiving Day that looks at the 1621 harvest feast from the perspectives of both the English colonists and the Wampanoag people. Photographs from Plimoth Plantation, a living history museum in Massachusetts, help the reader to visualize what life was like in 1621.
  HistoryTeacher2 | Sep 15, 2009 |

In cooperation with the Plimoth Plantation, a living-history museum in Massachusetts, National Geographic has recreated the first Thanksgiving. Photographs by National Geographic photographers of the recreation at Plimoth Plantation illustrate this book. In 1621, in a small settlement on the edge of the sea, 52 English colonists celebrated their first harvest. The colonists were joined by 90 men of the Wampanoag tribe for a gathering that was to last three days in a town now known as Plymouth. Over the centuries, there have been countless versions of this story, creating a popular myth of the first Thanksgiving. Many Americans imagine brave, peaceful settlers inviting a few wild Indians over for a turkey dinner. But there was no pumpkin pie or cranberry sauce at this celebration. There were no Indians with woven blankets over their shoulders and large feathered headdresses. No pilgrims with somber black clothes and silver buckle hats either. The English didn't even call themselves Pilgrims. This book puts aside that myth and takes a new look at our American history. It questions what we know and recovers lost voices of the Wampanoag people. True history includes the voices of all its participants. 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving invites young people to read, listen, and think about our shared history. The book also features a foreword, a section on the actual reenactment and the concept of living history, a chronology, an index, and a bibliography.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:48 -0400)

Explains what really happened between the English settlers and the Indians on Thanksgiving.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible