Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of…

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives (edition 2015)

by Gretchen Rubin (Author)

Member:hejmarguerite
Title:Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
Authors:Gretchen Rubin (Author)
Info:Crown (2015), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Tags:to-read

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life by Scott Adams (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Adams suggest having "systems" rather than goals. Developing good habits appears to be a key system in Adams' approach to success and Rubin's book elaborates on how to do that. These two books therefore complement each other.

Some really good ideas but if you don't fall neatly into one of her four categories, you might spend the majority of the book wondering how to apply any of it. I recognized all four tendencies in myself, depending on the situation. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
A detour, but as I read her earlier two and was waiting for its publication, it fit within an exception. Better Than Before is a better fit for those who come to it with some knowledge of Rubin. So, read the Happiness Project first. At least 50% of the books I've read since, and many of the things I've done, are a direct result of having read that book. Not bad for a book I stumbled upon during Borders' clearance sale almost 4 years ago. An oft leveled criticism is that Rubin lives a privileged life (her father-in-law is Robert Rubin) and accordingly is out of touch. I reject the criticism, philosophical concern has almost always been exclusive preserve for the leisured. Who else would have time to seriously contemplate happiness, their own or in general. That doesn't make it less important; probably, it is more important that those who spend time and reflect on it, do so. ( )
  tertullian | Jan 22, 2019 |
Good stuff here, but starting to get repetitive if you've read The Four Tendencies or listened to the podcast. ( )
  libraryhead | Jan 8, 2019 |
This book is filled with practical advice like the author's other books. Take what works for you from it and leave the rest for others. Many negative reviews of this book seem to involve misunderstandings of the author's intent. Rubin set up a framework in which she helps people understand that they need to figure out what works for them when it comes to habits. She then described two to four types a person might be in a given area to help readers identify what will work best for them when trying to change habits. She used herself, her friends, and family as examples to illustrate the different types and the different habit struggles. Using herself as an example should not be misconstrued to mean that she is trying to convince everyone to follow the same habits she does. She constantly repeats her advice to herself to "be Gretchen," and I think it's clear that she intended others to hear that as "be yourself." ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
This book has some really great insight into how people can form habits from the perspective that different approaches work better for different personality types. Based on how you view external and internal expectations, the author offers differing strategies for developing and maintaining habits. I learned a few helpful things that I will use for my New Year’s resolutions next year. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
For my family, again
For as long as I can remember, one of my favorite features in any book, magazine, play, or TV show has been the "before and after."

The author of the blockbuster New York Times bestsellers, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home, tackles the critical question: How do we change?

Gretchen Rubin's answer: through habits. Habits are the invisible architecture of everyday life. It takes work to make a habit, but once that habit is set, we can harness the energy of habits to build happier, stronger, more productive lives.

So if habits are a key to change, then what we really need to know is: How do we change our habits?

Better than Before answers that question. It presents a practical, concrete framework to allow readers to understand their habits—and to change them for good. Infused with Rubin’s compelling voice, rigorous research, and easy humor, and packed with vivid stories of lives transformed, Better than Before explains the (sometimes counter-intuitive) core principles of habit formation.

Along the way, Rubin uses herself as guinea pig, tests her theories on family and friends, and answers readers’ most pressing questions—oddly, questions that other writers and researchers tend to ignore:

• Why do I find it tough to create a habit for something I love to do?
• Sometimes I can change a habit overnight, and sometimes I can’t change a habit, no matter how hard I try. Why?
• How quickly can I change a habit?
• What can I do to make sure I stick to a new habit?
• How can I help someone else change a habit?
• Why can I keep habits that benefit others, but can’t make habits that are just for me?

Whether readers want to get more sleep, stop checking their devices, maintain a healthy weight, or finish an important project, habits make change possible. Reading just a few chapters of Better Than Before will make readers eager to start work on their own habits—even before they’ve finished the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

"Habits are the invisible architecture of our lives. Rubin provides an analytical and scientific framework from which to understand these habits--as well as change them for good. Infused with her compelling voice and funny stories, she illustrates the core principles of habit formation with dozens of strategies that she uses herself and tests out on others. Rubin provides tools to help readers better understand themselves, and presents a clear, practical menu of strategies so readers can take an individualized approach. She tackles each strategy herself and in doing so shows us the importance of knowing ourselves and our own habit tendencies. Armed with self-knowledge, we can pursue habits in ways that will truly work for us, not against us. Going to the gym can be as easy, effortless, and automatic as putting on a seatbelt. We can file expense reports, take time for fun, or pass up that piece of carrot cake without having to decide. With a foundation of good habits, we can build a life that reflects our values and goals"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible