The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2005)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millennium (1)

33,374155437 (4.03)1 / 877
    Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    The Crow Road by Iain Banks (Anonymous user)
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman (cafepithecus)
    cafepithecus: Another book about men who hate women, and the women who take them down.
    One Kick by Chelsea Cain (Anonymous user)
    Purity by Jonathan Franzen (kristina25)

English (1,410)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (25)  French (14)  Swedish (14)  German (14)  Italian (12)  Danish (11)  Catalan (11)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,554)
This book was a slow starter, but then it picked up. And whoa--very disturbing and violent! Not exactly a light-hearted read. ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
It is a bit hyped up I think. It is not a marvellous read but ok,as an average read. Certain not the best crime novel to be written as some reviews claim. ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
Resumo: Mikael Blomkvist é um jornalista financeiro que foi condenado por difamação. Este é o ponto de partida do livro que encerra em si vários enredos: o desaparecimento de Harriet Vanger há 40 anos, o caso Wennerström que leva Blomkvist à prisão e Lisbeth Salander, uma investigadora que é legalmente interdita. Durante o espaço de um ano acompanhamos estes 3 enredos que se entrecuzam e que são quase todos resolvidos.

Crítica: O prazer que tirei da leitura deste livro flutuou bastante durante a sua leitura. As minhas referências de comparação neste género são o "Código de Da Vinci" do Dan Brown e os livros do José Rodrigues dos Santos ("A fórmula de Deus" e o "Codex 632"). Conseguirei colocá-lo entre ambos, a nível de excitação: menos compulsivo que o "Código de Da Vinci" e muito mais interessante e bem escrito que os do José Rodrigues dos Santos. Mas... foi um pouco complicado para mim sentir-me agarrada a esta história. Grande parte do início do livro é contado da perspectiva do Mikael Blomkvist que é um personagem chato e desinteressante. Senti-o mais como um narrador do que verdadeiramente um personagem, pois é um pouco vazio de personalidade própria. Em comparação, no lado oposto do espectro, temos a Lisbeth Salander, tão altamente caracterizada que deixou-me a pensar ser impossível existir alguém assim. No entanto ela é magnética e todas as passagens sobre ela li-as ávidamente.
O livro ganhou ritmo a partir da página 270, quando ambos se conhecem e formam a equipa de investigação. A partir desse momento, o mistério Harriet ocupa 100% do enredo e o seu desvendar é muito empolgante e surpreendente.
Para minha grande surpresa, o mistério Harriet ficou resolvido 100 páginas antes do fim, deixando-me a pensar: "E então agora?!" Agora era resolver o caso Wennerström e dar o mote para os próximos dois livros.

Pontos positivos: Um livro inteligente. Boas descrições sem ser enfastiante. Lisbeth Salander. Erika Berger (as mulheres dominam e são maravilhosas!).

Pontos negativos: Demasiadas personagens. Nem com a ajuda da árvore geneológica eu conseguia lembrar-me de quem era quem.

Expectativa e estado de espírito: Não há nada que motive mais a leitura de um livro do que ser altamente recomendado por pessoas em quem confiamos a opinião. Deveria tê-lo lido no Verão, altura talvez que tivesse em melhor estado de espírito. Não o achei extraordinário, daí estar talvez um pouco desiludida. Os próximos dois só os lerei por empréstimo.
Fez-me reflectir sobre: Tráfico humano. Violência contra as mulheres. Falta de interesse da sociedade em se envolver mais nestes casos, ajudar mulheres em risco. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
Definitely loved this book. Hooked me right from the beginning and kept me interested the whole time. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
I got this book over a year ago and attempted to read it when I first got it but the first chapter was painfully boring for me and it was shelved (not something I like to do, once I start a book I commit to it but this was an exception at the time). I picked up again, pushed myself through the first chapter and continued on, I'm glad I did. I didn't have high expectations or any idea really what the book was about other than it was inspired by the author witnessing a rape and regretting not doing anything, something very sensitive and can be a uncomfortable read. The story had several plots going on and overall to be very separate from each other until midway through the book. The drama with the magazine and Mikael is mild and appears randomly through out the main plot, which made it confusing at times keeping track of which characters were part of what story line. The Vagners especially were hard to keep track of as long as their back stories, who were their parents, their children, schools, who was there and so on. I know there are two more books in the series and I intend to read them, but I wished there was more back story to Salander, not everything of course, but something (especially since in the movie they mentioned something that I don't recall reading & after looking into it, it wasn't in the book). Overall this was a good read and I am glad I gave it another try. I look forward to reading the other books. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
added by grimm | editRomans et Lectures, Calepin (Sep 9, 2009)

[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wenner, MartinReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.
ISBN 0307269752 is for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
of locked-room murder with help
of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
death, good PR spark massive
sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible