The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) by…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

33,975156936 (4.02)1 / 887
Member:MissYvonnee
Title:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage)
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: ADVANCE READER'S EDITION, Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (2005)

Recently added byrena75, RachelDavenSkinner, private library, msoul13, teresa_50, ishamaeli, Lahkesis, SamanthaPearl
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    The Crow Road by Iain Banks (Anonymous user)
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman (cafepithecus)
    cafepithecus: Another book about men who hate women, and the women who take them down.
    One Kick by Chelsea Cain (Anonymous user)
    Purity by Jonathan Franzen (kristina25)

English (1,423)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (25)  French (14)  Swedish (14)  German (14)  Italian (12)  Danish (11)  Catalan (11)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,567)
Un libro fantástico que va más alla de descubrir crímenes y se adentra en las características humanas que pueden tener diferentes personajes. ( )
  elicarra | Mar 7, 2019 |
I liked the characters a lot and the plot almost as much, but the writing seemed strangely clunky sometimes. Maybe it was the english translation, although not always - for example, I get the importance of knowing that Lisbeth has an expensive, state of the art computer, but I don't need to know the make, model and RAM size. This is info that doesn't age well, so why give it? Every time Mikael makes a sandwich or buys groceries we are told every detail about what's between the bread or in the basket. In small doses it adds to the whole atmosphere of methodical detective work, but overdone it feels more like OCD. I thought this is what an editor is for. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
One of those bestsellers I confess to "not getting," this Swedish crime novel's plot hinges on the decades-old case of a missing girl named Harriet Vanger (now a woman, if she's still alive). The case is taken up by one Mikael Blomkvist, not a detective but a journalist. Harriet's uncle hires him to find out the truth and in turn promises to help Blomkvist with a libel case that could ruin his magazine.

I was interested enough to finish the book, but not enough to read the next two. In fact, my emotions never engaged at all, only my curiosity. Is there an intelligent, multi-threaded plot here? Of course. But for me, the other elements outweigh this: flat, artless prose; rampant description (rooms, every article of furniture therein, multiple walk-throughs of characters' daily routines); dispassionate interior monologue; endless exposition of the Vanger family's history. All these things stunted my investment in the book.

Then there's the pervasive sex. Even if you haven't read the book, you're likely aware of this theme, since it is one of the book's most widely discussed aspects. The social commentary here is transparent, as several sexual assaults are depicted clinically but graphically. The author's original title, Men Who Hate Women, is a better fit.

Abuse is not the only source of sexual content, however. Blomkvist sleeps with nearly every woman he meets. Married, single, older than him, younger than him, it doesn't matter. Women fall for him, and he goes to bed with them. It's routine. Maybe this also was intended as social commentary (I read a Scandinavian's comment on an American's review suggesting that this extent of casual sex is par for the course in Sweden), or maybe it's pure male wish fulfillment on Larsson's part. Either way, it didn't endear Blomkvist to me. Nor did his passivity, or his cluelessness that lasted too long, or his need to be rescued by his sidekick, the girl with the dragon tattoo.

Speaking of, Lisbeth Salander does prove to be a readable character, at least much more so than Blomkvist. She's socially challenged, deemed incompetent by the State, yet street smart and computer smart and conniving and unnervingly ruthless. In a word, she's cool. But her coolness borders on stereotypical and/or ridiculous, which is unfortunate, because she has the potential for a lot more depth.

Maybe the second book is better. I just don't care enough to find out. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I read this as another edition of let's-keep-up-with-pop-culture.

For a thriller, it was a slow-burner for sure, taking several hundred pages to get going. Not that that's always a bad thing, this book was plotted to within an inch of its life and everything stacked and layered nicely, keeping me surprised and guessing.

But, once the plot was done, it took another 100 pages or so to wind down and I was uninterested. By the way, I had a huge problem with Mikael and how every. single. woman. swooned for him, puh-lease. I know you're dead Mr. Larsson but that doesn't mean you can get away with inserting yourself into that kind of fantasy dreamworld and expect people to buy it. I've seen your photograph.

But where was I? Oh yeah, good plotting, great mystery. Lisbeth is one of those great characters that are fascinating to root for and read, but I know I couldn't stand in real life.

I'll probably pick up the sequel at a yard sale, but I won't go out of my way to order it.

Millennium

Next: 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I listened to this book on audio, and I was bored through about three fourths of it. There were some exciting parts, but it takes awhile to get to them. The only saving grace for this audiobook is that Simon Vance is an excellent narrator. If I had tried to read this book, I would have DNF'd it! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
added by grimm | editRomans et Lectures, Calepin (Sep 9, 2009)

[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wenner, MartinReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.
ISBN 0307269752 is for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
of locked-room murder with help
of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
death, good PR spark massive
sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,339,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible