The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland (Translator)

29,608146231 (4.02)1 / 759
Member:RobbFlynn
Title:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Other authors:Reg Keeland (Translator)
Info:Vintage Crime / Black Lizard (2009), Perfect Paperback, 600 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, To read
Rating:***1/2

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Author) (2005)

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin (nanajavid)
    nanajavid: Een schitterend boek.
    The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard (sweetiegherkin)
    The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook (adithyajones)
    California Girl by T. Jefferson Parker (adithyajones)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)

English (1,320)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (24)  French (14)  German (14)  Swedish (14)  Italian (11)  Danish (11)  Catalan (10)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,461)
So very dark. Very unpredictable plot. So well done. Now I can understand why it is so popular. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Good read. I really enjoyed it. I was really enthralled with the mystery that Blomkvist was trying to uncover. The solution to the 'mystery' was a little too..obvious. It was so obvious that I totally didn't see it coming; that's the point I suppose by I just thought it would be more intriguing. Just from all the hype, I figured it would have been a better ending to the mystery they were trying to solve. HOWEVER, the mystery in the book was very awesome. You were given so many clues, twists and turns.. it was hard to put down once it really got going.

I found the characters (which there are QUITE a few) easy to get to know. Lisabeth Salander is just.. wow, wonderful. I love her.

All in all,it was excellent and worth a read. I cannot wait to read the rest, and see the movie coming out Wednesday. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
I started this book several times and always put it aside in favor of something else. Then in the space of one week three people asked me if I had read it. After being appropriately horrified that I had started and not finished it, suggested I plug away at it a little bit more. Oh boy, am I glad I did. After the introductory part of the book it started moving along at a fast pace. The characters are original and Lisbeth Salander is one of my favorite female characters in a long time. Mikael Blomkvist’s search for the 40-year missing Harriet takes so many twists and turns I really didn’t anticipate the ending. The fact that Larsson is a Swedish author and the book a translation, I found it had a different “flavor” which greatly added to the story.

After finishing the first book I quickly downloaded the other two onto my ereader. I have to get through a couple of holds that came in from the library, and then will getting right back to the next adventure with Lisbeth and Mikael.

While I was at the library picking up one of my requests I saw the movie on the “quick views” shelf and grabbed that too. Sadly, as usual, I felt the movie did not do the book justice. In my humble opinion the casting of Michael Nyqvist as Blomkvist was excellent. As good a job as Noomi Rapace did as Salander I felt the characterization was just not edgy enough. I think I should stop trying to find a movie that is “as good as” the book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Non credo di essere tagliata per i fenomeni editoriali. Ogni volta che ne leggo uno mi lascia con qualcosa di incompiuto, una sorta di delusione, perché non riesco a non notare i difetti di cui il romanzo è disseminato. La verità è che dai fenomeni editoriali mi aspetto la perfezione che trovo nei miei autori preferiti. Che -guarda caso- non sono fenomeni editoriali. Questi i motivi per cui non mi è piaciuto:

1. La pubblicità. "Lo zaino conteneva il suo Apple iBook 600 bianco, con hard disk da 25 Gb e 420 Mb di ram, del gennaio del 2002, provvisto di schermo da 14 pollici"; "fu attratta dalla migliore alternativa disponibile: il nuovo Apple PowerBook G4/1.0 GHz con telaio in alluminio, dotato di processore PowerPc 7451 con AltiVec Velocity Engine, 960 Mb di ram e un hard disk di 60 Gb. Compreso BlueTooth e masterizzatore cd/dvd. Soprattutto era dotato del primo schermo da 17 pollici nel mondo dei portatili, con grafica Nvidia e una risoluzione di 1440 X 900 pixel che sbalordiva i fautori del pc e surclassava tutto il resto presente sul mercato"; "una Saab bordeaux aveva fatto retromarcia per uscire"; "(...) chiese se Erika poteva parcheggiare la Bmw da loro durante la sua visita (...)"; "Prese a prestito la Mercedes"; "ho lavorato con le immagini e ho io stesso uno scanner per negativi Agfa. Lavoro in PhotoShop"; "Mise le immagini in una speciale cartella e aprì il programma Graphic Converter". E via dicendo. Io lo trovo disgustoso. Una poracciata. Ora, io capisco che i brand (o forse bisognerebbe dire gli sponsor) possano anche servire a caratterizzare indirettamente un personaggio, ma davvero non è necessario: altri scrittori lo fanno benissimo anche senza infarcire il romanzo di spot pubblicitari. Tra parentesi, per quello che mi riguarda, il personaggio di Lisbeth mi è stato antipatico a partire dal momento in cui si scopre che usa prodotti Apple.

2. I registri. Certe volte si ha la sgradevole sensazione che pezzi del romanzo siano frutto di un rimaneggiamento maldestro a valle di un copia-incolla. Esempio: “L'attività era suddivisa in tre aree principali: consulenze di sicurezza, che erano mirate a identificare pericoli possibili o immaginari; contromisure, che di solito consistevano nell'installazione di costose telecamere di sorveglianza, allarmi contro furti o incendi, sistemi di chiusura ed equipaggia-menti elettronici; e infine protezione personale di persone fisiche o aziende che avvertivano qualche forma di minaccia reale o immaginaria. (…) La Milton Security collaborava inoltre con rinomate aziende del settore in altri paesi europei e negli Usa, e si occupava della sicurezza di diversi ospiti internazionali in visita in Svezia (…). Una quarta area, considerevolmente più piccola e che impiegava solo qualche collaboratore, si occupava di quelle che in gergo erano dette i-per, investigazioni sugli antecedenti personali.” Mi pare un estratto da una brochure aziendale. Fastidio.

3. I personaggi. Sono stereotipati. Piatti e senza sfumature. Sembra di averli incontrati cento volte in altrettanti bestseller mediocri. Il giornalista proletario e paladino della giustizia che viene ingiustamente condannato dal tribunale; la giornalista fighetta e borghese col BMW; il vecchio industriale un po’ tocco ma simpatico; la ragazzetta strana e indifesa che fa simpatia. Un campionario di dejà vu.

4. Alcuni elementi della trama. Prendiamo la scena in cui Lisbeth tramortisce e immobilizza l’avvocato Bjurman. Ora, è una scena che emotivamente è in grado di coinvolgere il lettore (ha coinvolto anche me), perché l’eroina del romanzo si vendica di una brutale aggressione. Ma santo cielo. L’avvocato Bjurman è alto il doppio di Lisbeth e pesa tre volte lei. È piuttosto inverosimile che una ragazzina gracile e non allenata possa tramortire un omone e trascinarlo di peso. Il punto, per me, non è l’inverosimiglianza: nelle opere dei miei scrittori preferiti, in genere, ci sono molte situazioni reali; queste, però, sono in grado di toccare corde più profonde, senza fermarsi alla pancia come la scena della vendetta di Lisbeth.
Un fastidio veramente acuto mi è stato poi provocato da quella parte del romanzo in cui la quasi sessantenne Cecilia Vanger, dopo un certo numero di incontri scoperecci, confessa al protagonista Mikhael di essersi innamorata di lui. Queste pagine del romanzo mi hanno fatta sentire a disagio, piena di imbarazzo per l’autore, che Iddio l’abbia in gloria. Esempio:
«Mikael, io ho mentito a te e a me stessa per tutto il tempo. Non sono mai stata particolarmente sfrenata, in fatto di sesso. In tutta la vita ho avuto solo cinque partner. La prima volta quando avevo ventun anni. Poi mio marito che ho incontrato a venticinque anni, e che si dimostrò un farabutto. E da allora altri tre uomini che ho incontrato a distanza di qualche anno l'uno dall'altro. Ma tu hai risvegliato in me qualcosa. Semplicemente, non mi bastava mai. Forse perché tutto in te era così senza pretese.»
«Cecilia, non è necessario che tu...»
«Ssch, non interrompermi. Altrimenti non riuscirò mai a dirti quello che voglio dire.»”.

Eccetera.
Ecco, questo per me è spazzatura. Mi fa arrabbiare. È un pezzo di una pochezza sconcertante, e secondo me nell’economia generale del romanzo se ne poteva benissimo fare a meno.
Infine, parlando di trama: avevo capito la soluzione del mistero della scomparsa di Harriet (e cioè che non era affatto morta, ma era scappata ed era lei ad inviare ogni anno il fiore secco a Henrik) dopo aver letto appena il 20% di tutto il romanzo. Il che per un thriller è davvero avvilente.

5. Lo stile. Qui forse è più colpa della traduzione che di Stieg Larsson, purtuttavia il libro non posso certo leggerlo in svedese, perché non so la lingua. E la traduzione italiana mi ricorda molto lo stile di Giorgio Faletti: pomposo, scolasticamente descrittivo, ingessato, classico - nel senso di polveroso. Certo, è molto scorrevole (e all’uopo si lascia scorrere decisamente bene, nel senso che quando il fastidio si fa intollerabile si possono saltare blocchi di righe senza perdere il filo). Ma non mi piace.

A lettura ultimata ho capito che il romanzo non vuole essere a favore delle donne. Le donne del romanzo (Lisbeth e Cecilia) sono delle mezze squinternate in balia degli ormoni le quali, benché dipinte come donne forti, si innamorano perdutamente del protagonista (e ci sono pagine e pagine di stucchevoli masturbazioni cerebrali di queste donne che vorrebbero una relazione col protagonista ma si sentono troppo inadeguate), e sono sempre pronte a stracciarsi le mutande di dosso alla sua vista. Ricky, poi, è la tipica borghese viziata che ottiene sempre tutto senza chiedere mai, salvo poi essere manovrata come un burattino dagli uomini del romanzo. Tutto ciò stride con il titolo del romanzo, con la trama stessa, con le insulse citazioni di statistiche sulle molestie sessuali in Svezia che ritroviamo all’inizio di ogni sezione del libro. Insomma, si fa poco per rendere convincente il tema del romanzo (la violenza sulle donne, che pure è un tema formidabile posto di avere un po’ più di grazia per affrontarlo), in compenso abbiamo informazioni dettagliatissime sui pasti di Mikael (principalmente a base di carboidrati –sandwich e tramezzini- o aringhe), sui caffè che consuma nell’arco della giornata, sulle sigarette che fuma, sull’arredamento di ogni stanza che visita.

Insomma, una delusione pazzesca, tuttavia non riuscivo a staccarmene perché, a onor del vero e benché non ne apprezzi particolarmente lo stile, non è un romanzo “pesante”. Ma sinceramente non riuscirei a considerarlo un capolavoro neanche sotto l’ombrellone. E credo che leggerò il seguito della trilogia solo se un giorno dovessi smettere di amare me stessa.
2 vote lonelypepper | Jul 6, 2015 |
I got this book over a year ago and attempted to read it when I first got it but the first chapter was painfully boring for me and it was shelved (not something I like to do, once I start a book I commit to it but this was an exception at the time). I picked up again, pushed myself through the first chapter and continued on, I'm glad I did. I didn't have high expectations or any idea really what the book was about other than it was inspired by the author witnessing a rape and regretting not doing anything, something very sensitive and can be a uncomfortable read. The story had several plots going on and overall to be very separate from each other until midway through the book. The drama with the magazine and Mikael is mild and appears randomly through out the main plot, which made it confusing at times keeping track of which characters were part of what story line. The Vagners especially were hard to keep track of as long as their back stories, who were their parents, their children, schools, who was there and so on. I know there are two more books in the series and I intend to read them, but I wished there was more back story to Salander, not everything of course, but something (especially since in the movie they mentioned something that I don't recall reading & after looking into it, it wasn't in the book). Overall this was a good read and I am glad I gave it another try. I look forward to reading the other books. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets, this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker.

Larsson, StiegAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgetti Cima, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
Of locked-room murder with help
Of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
Death, good PR spark massive
Sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,389,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible