The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Stieg Larsson

Info:Quercus (2009), Edition: Film tie-in, Kindle Edition, 535 pages
Collections:Your library, ebook
Rating:***
Tags:Crime

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (2005)

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg (Patangel)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)
    In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin (nanajavid)
    nanajavid: Een schitterend boek.
    California Girl by T. Jefferson Parker (adithyajones)
    The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard (sweetiegherkin)
    One Kick by Chelsea Cain (Anonymous user)

English (1,367)  Dutch (34)  Spanish (24)  French (14)  German (14)  Swedish (14)  Italian (11)  Danish (11)  Catalan (10)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,509)
Review: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

The story starts out slow but isn’t long before the mystery captures the readers interest. I thought it was well written and the characters were fully developed. There were many twists and turns throughout the story leading up to the disturbing closure of the mystery that Stieg Larsson creatively brought together from mystery to a suspenseful thriller. Larsson created a few scenario situations around the plot of the story. The story’s theme is basically based on “Men who hate women” but Larsson doesn’t linger on the abuse of women in an unhealthy way. Plus, Larsson doesn’t have his main character Mikael Blomkvist, an out and down journalist, running around saving women as a main character usually does.Mikael is hired by pretense to write a biography of the Vanger family and maybe also to solve an old mystery of a lost sixteen year old niece, Harriet Vanger who went missing forty years earlier.

However, there is one character Lisbeth Salander, a freelance researcher, who is spunky and takes no gruff from any man. She’s a gothic looking, anti-social, an abused young woman with Asperger’s Syndrome. At the age of twenty-four her life was still in the hands of a sadist rapist order by the court to be her guardian. However, she was determined to find a way to get out of his clutches by using her analytical brain that no one realized she had. Over the years she has become cold, seriously rational, and angry. I loved her character but I think she was short changed at the end. Along the way she becomes Blomkvist research partner and best friend.

The Vanger estate was like a little colony where each family member had their own place and each member was dysfunctional with altered characteristic flaws. Larsson did a great job creating these characters because they were a big part of the story. Plus, Larsson wrote in a few graphical scenes along the way but understandable to capture the reader’s interest, and holding them on the edge of their seats. As the mystery starts to unravel and the unforgettable antics that proceeded made the story unbelievable. The mystery might have been Harriet Vanger’s disappearance but I feel Lisbeth Salander’s took over that story with glory….I can’t wait to read the second book of this trilogy. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Aug 15, 2016 |
It was little boring in the beginning, but after I really like. The english translation was a bit strange in some points. Surely I will read with the other two 'Millennium' books. ( )
  Art3mis | Aug 12, 2016 |
Overall, a very enjoyable mystery thriller. I wish the English edition kept the Swedish title (Men Who Hate Women) because that gave a greater sense of the story than the title currently in use (which makes it seem as if Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the tattoo, is the heroine). Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is our hero, for good and for bad (frequently I felt like Larsson was relating a little too much with his hero and making him a little too perfect, too handsome, too noble, too fabulous in bed).

I'm on the fence if I'm going to read the second book in the series: I absolutely cannot stand Blomkvist's relationship with his colleague and on-again-off-again lover, Erika Berger and I'm not entirely sure I can take more hero worship of Blomkvist.

This is coming out more negative than I intended, because I have been raving about this novel to anyone who will listen. It was surprisingly engrossing considering it opens up with a financial scandal (a topic that usually makes my eyes glaze over) and it concludes completely with absolutely no loose ends. Even though I was annoyed by the characterization at times, I was so satisfied with the mystery. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Aug 12, 2016 |
I am in such a minority as I read this book I only wanted it to be over. I could not find a part of this entire book that I liked and the only reason that I did not give it one star only is because it is not the authors fault that I truly hated this book. The book was well written it was just not to my tastes and I am pretty excited that it is now off my ever growing TBR list so that I can read some other books I know I will walk away from loving.

I think that if the story was more entertaining and did not focus so much on the small stuff I would have liked it. I just couldn't do it and it took everything in me to finish it. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Another book that could have used a good editing. Works well as a mystery novel but gets far more praise than it deserves. It is a fantastic mystery, actually, and I couldn't put it down. However, I more than once found myself rolling my eyes at the cartoonish characters. Sure, that's a staple of mysteries, but Lisbeth Salander - man alive, is she a walking cliche. She actively annoyed me, and I found her morality not only despicable but logically faulty on more than one occasion (it's been a while since I finished the book, so examples are escaping me, unfortunately - I'll come back and add them if I ever feel compelled to). I just didn't click with her at all, and in parts she just felt like an easy way out of any problem because she was such a "genius". Too much was left in that could have been removed. Overall, the book was just a means of passing the time, and not something I feel compelled to write an essay about. However, it trundles along nicely, and the end was pretty decent. It's much better than its sequel, and I'd give it 3.5 stars - if I could.

PS. Avoid at ALL costs if you're squeamish, easily triggered by sexual violence, or looking for something uplifting. It's not a difficult read, but it is a bit depressing in parts. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
added by grimm | editRomans et Lectures, Calepin (Sep 9, 2009)

[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgetti Cima, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keeland, RegTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
Of locked-room murder with help
Of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
Death, good PR spark massive
Sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,390,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible